General Policies for New Year's Eve, Carnival and World Cup 2014
** Minimum Stay: 3 nights (from July the 9th onward)
** Payment Method: Credit Card or wire transfer.
** Payment policy: 50% in advance is required. After your booking is confirmed by hostelworld.com, You will be contacted to proceed and arrange the payment method. Failure to complete the payment in 5 working days will result in cancellation of your booking.
** Cancellation Policy: Non Refundable
** No-Show Policy: It will be charged the remaining due to check in
Please consider that only for those special dates and after you have made your Hostelworld Reservation (which is 10-15 %), we will contact you to further pay another 40 % (by credit card or Western Union Transfer) prior to arrival (unfortunately it has to be done after the initial reservation because we cannot do it within Hostelworld) ... also consider that this is non-refundable ... we take all these precautions because loads and loads of people ask for these specific periods and we cannot afford to have people 'not showing up'
I mean, are you really willing to pay up to double the price so you can stay in some dumb-dirty hostel just because it is like 100 meters nearer ipanema beach ?? ... we are at a 5 min. bus ride from a really nice-not-overcrowded beach but we are light years ahead the vast majority of the hostels in terms of service, staff, personality, fun, etc ...
Perharps you are willing to stay on just another hostel full of europeans, americans, aussies and israelis ?? no ?? yes ?? ... what if you could stay in a place where 60 % of the guests are brazilians ?? then you would get a real experience WITHIN the hostel, wouldnt that be bloody cool ??
Man, half of the hostels in Rio are complete crap and most of the other half are just dumb-nothing-to-do-except-for-sleeping places ... so you think you are pretty smart by booking a place 5 reals cheaper ?? a place with triple bunks, 16 + people dorms, thin mattresses, lousy breakfast, no bar, no fun ??
Here is my promise: make your reservation with us and when you arrive at the hostel if you do not like it we will pay you the taxi to any other hostel you want in rio ... Why would we do this ?? Because we are supremely confident that you will be delighted with Tupiniquim, i mean, when our guests come back to rio, 95 % of them come back to Tupiniquim ... See for yourself ...
... Tupiniquim is for sure the most original hostel in rio de janeiro - (O Globo Newspaper Review in feb. 2008) ... you are not staying in just another hostel, this is a really different hostel ...
We accept visa and mastercard !!!
Free WIFI for all our guests
Free pool table
Free TV / DVD room
Free Brazilian style breakfast: 08-10 am
But you see, the core of a hostel is not a beautiful and charming house (like ours), or plenty super-duper hot showers (which we have 13 of, in fact) or any of those welcome features ... The core is the people ... In this case the interaction between us, your brazilian hosts, and you ... We are here because of you ... Attention to detail and quality in every possible human aspect ... Command us ...
- multi-lingual staff: Portuguese, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Hebrew ...
- 24 hour reception ...
- Free WiFi if you prefer (speed according to your wifi setup, up to 50 Mbps) ...
- air conditioning in all rooms (from 08 PM till 10 AM)...
- security lockers big enough for your backpacks (1 x 1 x 0,50 meters each)
- bar and chilling area with a gorgeous view from the Christ ...
- Our TV room has a massive 55'' LCD in which you can enjoy cable tv (with all your favorites shows) and more than 400 films, all free of charge ...
- Pool table
- central location from all major attractions:
3 min. subway (one station) to Copacabana Beach
10 min. bus to Lapa, Domestic Airport (Santos-Dumont) and all the Historical Downtown of Rio
15 min. bus to Lagoa, Botanical Garden and the Sugar Loaf Mountain
15 min. subway (4 stations) to Ipanema Beach
20 min. bus to the Statue of Christ the Redeemer
20 min. bus to Ipanema Beach
25 min. subway to the Maracan Stadium (temple of football in Rio)
30 min. bus to the Central Bus Station (Rodoviria)
40 min. bus or taxi to the International Airport (Galeo)
- All rooms (except for 2 6-people shared bathroom) have their own bathroom and there are shared bathrooms in the 2nd. and 3rd. floor if you are in a hurry ...
- spacious rooms with extra big windows for maximum ventilation (except for 1 windowless shared room, but this got extra air conditioning: 6 PM to 12 pm ...
- solid-noble-wood double bunks with plenty of space (1 meter) between each bed ... I said double and not triple bunks :)
- 17 cm high and 120 kg resistant, comfortable, brand-new mattresses (and not those cheap and dirty ones you see in many hostels)
- 6 double, triple or quadruple private rooms ...
- free bedsheets and blankets
- free brazilian style breakfast (08:00 to 10:00)
- fully equipped backpackers kitchen where you can fully use all things (except for the fridge)
- luggage room ( in case you check out and want to hang around)
- plenty of space in our terrace with it's bbq area and Christ the Redeemer view ...
- lots of the most popular board games such as: chess, backgammon, checkers, risk, domino, cards, etc ...
- multicultural library to understand rio de janeiro and brazil
- airport and bus station pickup (subject to availability)
- all the travel info you might possibly need
- car parking (third party) available near the hostel
- taxes included
- no minimum or maximum stay (except for New Year's Eve and Carnival)
- no lockout or curfew
No drugs man, just out of the question ...
This is a Trusted Review. Why?
We decided to stay at Tupiniquim because of their 'bashfull' claim re. the atmosphere at the hostel and the quirkyness of the write up - Tupininiquim sounded cute. Their offer of setting you up elsewhere should you not like their hostel also made us feel that it was a safe bet. This turned out not the case as they made us pay up front and when we wanted to leave after one night they would not compromise in any way so we left paying for 3 nights and staying for one. The most they offered was to call a taxi and for us to then sort ourselves out. A lot of what is further claimed is also not true. It is not "like 100m" further to Copacabana let alone Ipanema and not wise to even consider walking to those beaches if you felt inclined to do so. They say there is airconditioning but the fine print allows only for a few hours in the evening which is a problem in summer. We did not sample the breakfast or other amenities so cannot comment. It is conveniently close to the subway and bus routes. They young lady in the front room/reception was very helpful and tried to asist us but it was not her call. A brave choice!
Have you stayed here? Write a review
Note: It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travellerspoint is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
Create your own travel plan and bookmark this hotel on your plan. You can even bookmark hotels found on other websites!
Do you have questions about Rio de Janeiro? You might try asking in our active travel forums and see if anyone else has been there.
Read up on what to see and do in Rio de Janeiro in the Travellerspoint guide, written by travellers for travellers.