Istanbul Ocean's 7 Hotel Istanbul
Can kurtaran mah.Amiral tafdil sok.no 18 Sultanahm
Note: It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travellerspoint is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
You are not alone in Istanbul.....
You will find a very friendly, pleasant, yet modern accommodation right in the heart of the old part of Istanbul. This superb hotel is perfectly located in the thriving centre of most important Byzantine and Ottoman monuments and just a few minutes walk away from the tramway (Sultanahmet Station) and the main train station.
All of the major city sights can be reached by foot as well, such as the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, The Underground Cistern, Topkapi Palace, The Archeological Museum, The Hippodrome, and the Grand Bazaar.
Our roof terrace has breathtaking views over the Blue Mosque, the Princess' Islands in the sea of Marmara and the bustling Bosphorous Strait. It's the perfect place to enjoy breakfast, coffee or perhaps a drink or two. It is especially a charming roof to watch the sun dip down into the Marmara, as the seagulls cry out and the call to prayer wafts over the city.
This is a Trusted Review. Why?
We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was perfect for sight seeing and the staff were really helpful. Free tea and coffee all day long too.
We stayed 5 nights here in the room near the reception..the window was facing the street and you could hear music in the night, but i was not bothered at all, as always so tired from wondering the city that i fell asleep immediately...maybe for those who are sensitive to noise, could not be the best choice. This room was very tiny, no space in the closet only for the jacket maybe, but really clean. The bathroom also clean, maybe i would rate it 8 out of 10. The bed was very comfortable, the sheets clean and the air con was working (there is no other heating system but this)
The stuff, especially the lady from the reception, Sofia, is very nice and helpful and always takes care if something is not ok (example lamp in the bathroom was not working well, but it was fixed ).
The position is very good, in the Sultanahmed area, very close to historical points such as Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia and Topkapi Palace.
Also close to the tram station, max 7 min by walk , which is very ok.
The only thing i could complain about is the breakfest, which was quite poor, but you can always eat the butter and the honey/jam and at this price for a night one can not ask a royal treat
Another good thing is that at leaving, you can ask for airport shuttle, only at 8 Turkish Lira, (normally 3 lira with bus and metro) but much more comfortable and picks you up from the guest house.
I would recommend this guest house to all those who do not want to spend much money on housing and are interested in sightseeing.
To cut it short, it is worth the money.
My fiend and I stayed at Oceans & for four nights in August 2009. When discussing how we would review his hotel, we agreed that we would give it a 7 out of 10 score. This is how our views of this hotel break down:
The good points:
- the people are friemdly and helpful (a big shout out for Kubi, one of the guys who mans the hotel desk and is a real gem);
- the room was a good price (we got it for 35 Euro per night - a bargain!)
- the breakfast was good (buffet style with a choice of boiled egg, cold meat, tomato, cucumber, bread, spreads (e.g. jam, nutella), watermelon, orange juice, tea/coffee)
- the bathroom in the room was great - quite roomy with a shower in a shower stall, rather than open in the bathroom as in many of the places we stayed)
- the location is good if you want to be close to the main sights (e.g. the Top Kapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia)
The not so good points
- the noise. This is the main reason we rated this hotel lower than other places we stayed in. Over the 4 nights we stayed we felt that we didn't get a proper nights sleep during any of our nights (which makes for grumpy girls!). We stayed in room 201 which is at the front of the hotel, on the street side and directly next too (kinda 'in') the lobby area. We heard EVERYTHING which drove us nuts, especially since there were giggling Aussies up until all hours (this makes me sound like an old nana!). The only way to escape the noise is for the hotel to double glaze the windows and put a solid wood door in (the door had glass, which was papered over, but this did nothing to stop the noise or the light coming through). For these reasons I would suggest asking to stay on the third floor if you want to stay at Oceans 7 (my guess is that this would be rooms 301 or 302? just a guess).
- the location, but this depends on what you want. As mentioned above, the location is good for the main sites, but if you want to get away from the main tourist traps then this area (and Sultanahmet in general) is not the place for you. Having said that, the people and shops in the area did't give us too much hassle.
I hope this review is helpful to travellers out there - enjoy Istanbul!
Sian and Melody
Have you stayed here? Write a review
Create your own travel plan and bookmark this hotel on your plan. You can even bookmark hotels found on other websites!
Do you have questions about Istanbul? You might try asking in our active travel forums and see if anyone else has been there.
Read up on what to see and do in Istanbul in the Travellerspoint guide, written by travellers for travellers.