Scottish-run HostelTrail opened its doors in 2007 to offer private room accommodation and dorms to travellers visiting Popayan. The hostel is located in the Colonial centre of the city and is an easy 6 minute walk from the bus station. HostelTrail offers all the facilities a backpacker could want including dorm and private room accommodation, internet access, Free internet, Free WiFi, Laundry service, self-catering kitchen with free coffee in the mornings and plenty of tourist information. Delicious breakfasts (5,000 pesos) are served from 7am to 10am - fruit salads, yogurt and granola or omlettes with toast and jam. HostelTrail is also the home of PopayanTours.com and as such, we can arrange a variety of activities including Spanish Classes, Mountain Biking, Thermal Spring excursions, Salsa classes and private transport to Tierradentro, San Agustin and Salento!
If we appear to have no availability, please drop us an email direct and we may be able to fit you in.
The Hostel Trail has a total of 35 beds, including a 8-bed ensuite dorm room with balconies overlooking the colonial street as well as single, double and twin rooms all with and without private bathroom. All private rooms are decorated with photography from around South America and have hand-made duvets. The private rooms also have custom made shutters on the windows to ensure a quiet (and dark) nights sleep.
- Free internet and Free WIFI
- Computers with SuperFast Internet (Headphones, Cameras & SKYPE)
- 24 hour access.
- A range of Breakfast choices 7 days a week (5,000 Pesos)
- Dorms & Private Rooms (with and without bathroom)
- European-style duvets & reading lamps in all private rooms
- Laundry Facilities (24hr budget service & 4hr Express service)
- Mountain Bike & City Bike Hire (they are really good bikes too!)
- Free lockers with built in power supply for charging laptops.
- Self-Catering Kitchen (with fridge, gas cooker, blender & small oven)
- TV room with More than 150 DVDs and 32 inch Flatscreen TV
- International Calls at 500 Pesos p/m
- Book Shop - we buy and sell English Books (over 150 imported titles!)
- Book Exchange & Reference library
- A selection of cold beers, soft drinks, water for sale
- Salsa Classes arranged through the hostel
- Free luggage store
- Courtyard patio area
- Free coffee in the mornings
- Downhill Biking Tours to the thermal pools. (Popayan's most popular tour!)
- Downloadable info-guides for your ipod or laptop.
- 5 mins walk from the main square & 8 mins from the bus station!
Coming from Ecuador?
For those coming direct from Quito or Otavalo in Ecuador, please be aware that this journey takes between 15 -17 hours and so you will likely arrive late. Please be aware that you will be charged for the night you reserve even if you arrive in the early morning of the following day.
Have you stayed here? Write a review
Note: It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travellerspoint is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
Create your own travel plan and bookmark this hotel on your plan. You can even bookmark hotels found on other websites!
Do you have questions about Popayan? You might try asking in our active travel forums and see if anyone else has been there.
Read up on what to see and do in Popayan in the Travellerspoint guide, written by travellers for travellers.