Mara House is not just a clean bed for the night - it is a traveler's dream experience in comfort, decor, honest advice and quality sightseeing - evidenced by our high rating on TripAdvisor.
My name is Mara, I'm Irish and my house is 10 mins. walk (0.5km.) from the back of the train station and 15 mins walking. from Luxor Temple. Once you cross under the train station you leave the hustle and hassle of the city centre tourist area behind you, and get to experience life in a family community where we have our own local baker, butcher, carpenters etc. The children play freely in the street and the adults sit chatting on their doorsteps while watching the world go by.
At Mara House you have your own private bedroom + private sitting room and bathroom. We also have a beautiful roof terrace overflowing with plants - a great place to relax in the evening.
I take no 'commission' from taxis, guides, shops, markets, restaurants etc. that I will recommend. This is your holiday and I want it to be perfect!
Breakfast is included and served 6.30am - 10.30am.
Rooms are cleaned daily and we offer a laundry service
European mattresses........ I have been told we have the best beds in Egypt!
No bugs, ants or mosquitos!
Bed linen and towels included.
No shortage of hot water.
Free Wi-Fi in the downstairs bar and some rooms
Satellite TV in most, but not all rooms.
Air conditioned bedrooms.
Transfer from the airport is 50 LE in total (75 LE in total after midnight)
Transfer from the train station is 20 LE in total
Official check out time is 11am and check in is 12 noon but if you send us your arrival and departure details we will try to match you up with an early check out if you are arriving early.
We are well known for our tours each day from Mara House with quality guides and no side-trips for shopping. We are happy if you join us on these trips but we do not push them on you and we are quite happy if our guests choose to go with outside tour operators etc.
On arrival you get a comprehensive information booklet, maps etc. covering everything you need to know. It contains, taxi prices, tipping guidelines, tour prices etc. There are no hidden fees, added extras, optional extras or commissions to fear on your final bill. Continuous tipping is not expected or encouraged at Mara House. There is a communal tip box should you wish to use it. Tour guides and tour drivers do expect a tip in accordance with your satisfaction of their services - this is normal everywhere in Egypt.
NON-REFUNDABLE deposit is taken by Mara House via your credit card at time of booking and if cancelled within 5 days of arrival date or in the case of no-show the full amount is payable.
Please feel free to email me for any information or help you need after making your booking - it is quite normal for me to exchange at least 10 - 20 or more emails with my guests before the arrive!!
Looking forward to meeting youMara
1. Full payment to be made in cash (euros, dollars, sterling) on arrival.
2. On receipt of the booking from hostelworld, Mara House will take a non-refundable deposit consisting of the first night's rental from the credit card provided. The amount of this deposit will be deducted from the balance due on arrival. At time of making reservation please also email your CVC (3 security numbers on the back of your credit card) to Mara House at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Cancellations up to 5 days prior to arrival - no cancellation fee is imposed other than the deposit already taken, which remains non-refundable.
4. Bookings cancelled within 5 days of arrival date or in the case of 'no show' are liable for payment of the full booking, which will be deducted from credit card.
5. Guests are required to have their own health, travel, accident and cancellation insurance. Mara House accepts no responsibility for accidents or medical expenses incurred by guests. We accept no responsibility for loss of or damage to personal items, valuables or property.
6. Your email address must be a working, valid email address so we can contact you to confirm receipt of your booking. If you do not receive a confirmation of booking from us then please check that you have given hostelworld your correct email address and also contact email@example.com
7. If you have not checked in by midnight of the first day of your booking, your full booking will be deemed cancelled, unless you have previously notified us of after midnight arrival.
8. In compliance with Egyptian Law a non-Egyptian wishing to share accommodation with an Egyptian national must present official marriage contract on arrival.
9. Mara House reserves the right to refuse admission or cancel reservations if it becomes apparent Mara House is not suitable to the guests' requirements or the above terms and conditions are not complied with.
Create your own travel plan and bookmark this hotel on your plan. You can even bookmark hotels found on other websites!
Do you have questions about Luxor? You might try asking in our active travel forums and see if anyone else has been there.
Read up on what to see and do in Luxor in the Travellerspoint guide, written by travellers for travellers.