As per hostel's rules, we could not offer dorm beds to Chinese citizens. Please do not book dorm room, otherwise, your online reservation will be deem to an invalid one. Private rooms are still available for Chinese citizens. Thanks for your understanding.
Ni hao and welcome! Why stay here and what we offer:
1) Just 10-15 minutes walk from city-center, Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and subway.
2) Historic - famous, beautiful 350 year old 2-storey courtyard
3) Budget hostel, offering basic rooms at a cheap price.
4) Tours & tickets - including the famous Leo Secret Great Wall tour.
5) Travel comforts: Bar/restaurant, Leo Movie World, free WIFI/internet & more
The Leo Courtyard is much more than just a hostel with a great location. This famous Ming/Qing Dynasty courtyard has over 350 years of history and is a government protected structure. It is a main feature of all historic tours in the area, with visitors (non-guests) having to pay an entrance fee. The courtyard is most famous for being a former socialising venue for Beijing's rich elite, and sometimes even the emperor himself. In the evenings, hostesses would serve traditional meals and drinks, with musicians & performers in the background.
The courtyard is also famous for its romantic love story, where the famous General Cai-E and the beautiful hostess Xiao-Feng-Xian first met and fell in love. In fact, their love story is so famous that even a national TV series has been made about it!
The Leo Courtyard is now open for guests to stay. So during your stay in Beijing, don't just stay in a normal hostel, come join us and soak up the ancient atmosphere, and have a truly historic stay!
The Leo Courtyard is the larger sister hostel of the well-known nearby Leo Hostel (recommended by the Lonely Planet for over 4 years now). Our location is a short walk from Tiananmen Square and the subway. We are located in a hutong (ancient streets) area, with a residential quarter and market quarter, so there's lots to see and do (we can give you a free local area map when you arrive). We are a large hostel with lots of space to spread out, so it is quite a relaxed atmosphere amongst our guests - ideal to 'take a break from travelling' and lounge around with other guests. Having said that, with our famous Leo Movie World (hundreds of classic and new movies to watch) and our bar/restaurant (with beer/cocktail specials), there's also a chance to meet new friends and make your own party!
As we are a large hostel, we are one of the cheapest hostels in the area, offering basic and standard budget rooms, and discounts can also be offered to long term guests. Please read about our facilities & services below and then take a look at our photos to get a feel of the hostel. We hope to see you very soon for a truly historic stay!
Facilities & Services:
- Restaurant / Bar with western & Chinese food (veggies welcome)
- Sunny DVD lounge (the Leo Movie World - offering the best movie database in China ;)
- Pool Table, Foosball Table, Darts, Playstation, chess & bar games etc
- FREE Wi-Fi & internet computers - good signal throughout hostel, facebook usually openable!
- Beijing tours & Tibet tour service - including the famous Leo Secret Great Wall tour - escape the crowds!
- Information zone, lots of travel info, with travel maps of Beijing, China and the world to help you plan your travels
- Plane & train ticket-booking service
- Forward hostel booking service - book your next hostel with us and we'll try our best arrange a free pick-up!
- Laundry service
- Bike hire service
- Telephone call facilities
- Airport pick up and transfer service
- Library & Beijing listings magazines - find those sports bars and local events!
- FREE linen, blankets, towels etc... (we wont charge you to keep warm!)
- FREE luggage storage
- FREE security lockers for dorm rooms (our guesthouse has 24 hour CCTV camera security)
- FREE local area & subway map, showing banks, post offices, supermarkets, bus stops, & much much more...
- FREE Chinese language guide - you can practice with our staff
- FREE parties & events.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Leo Courtyard staff
Print out our map or take a picture or trace a copy. Please telephone us if you have a problem.
This is a Trusted Review. Why?
Average cleanliness for a hostel... interesting building in an interesting part of Beijing. Great breakfasts... would recommend to friends. Definitely beats Motel 168.
This is a Trusted Review. Why?
Location was good. The board at reception claimed they offered an international phone call service but when I asked they said they only allowed local calls. Also, their internet computers were not working. They let me use the reception computer but it didn't help as what was on screen as it was in Mandarin and their English was not sufficient to translate (I would suggest you take your own laptop). Mostly, staff were not very helpful - I had injured my knee when sightseeing and needed to contact home and not having internet or international phone service was distressing.
This is a Trusted Review. Why?
This hotel was terrible. I stayed at this hostel in a private room for 2 nights before having to move to a different hostel. The walls were soaked and moldy due to some broken pipes and the bed sheets were wet. The hotel staff were not helpful at all and I was forced to stay in the room with no alternative until 2 days later when I got sick.
The bathroom flooded when I took a shower, revealing the dirt and hair from previous guests that the hostel never bothered to clean before my arrival.
I would advise against staying at this hostel, as if anything goes wrong at all, expect no help and at best a casual "Oh well" or "You can find another place if you don't like it here."
Have you stayed here? Write a review
Note: It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travellerspoint is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
Create your own travel plan and bookmark this hotel on your plan. You can even bookmark hotels found on other websites!
Do you have questions about Beijing? You might try asking in our active travel forums and see if anyone else has been there.
Read up on what to see and do in Beijing in the Travellerspoint guide, written by travellers for travellers.