Fun place to stay at! I stayed in a private room and the a/c was excellent! To add to my comfort, I would have preferred a somewhat padded or covered bed mattress (mattresses in Asia are notoriously hard) and larger sheets.
At Carpe Diem, seize the day, we aim to offer you more than just a bed with a focus on cultural and social immersion in one of the most beautiful landscapes of China. At Carpe Diem we work hard to create an environment that gives backpackers a sense of holiday home and family. Our comfy TV-lounge bar and our bright and sunny terrace provide the perfect setting for meeting fellow travelers and host our daily activities and hostel family style buffet dinners offer excellent opportunities to meet new friends in a dynamic atmosphere.
Trippers Carpe Diem will provide you with:
- Wide open terraces on 3 different levels with arguably the best communal balcony views of Yangshuo! Pool-table, lounge music, plenty of comfy seating areas and a bar nearby with a fridge full of cheap local beers and what might be a welcome change for the Chinese beers, a great selection of Belgian Beers with Duvel, Leffe, Hoegaarden, Stella, Chimay and Rochefort! Common areas and rooms have been refreshed and refurbished in March 2014.
- Dormitories with individual beds with curtains below for comfort and privacy. AC, WiFi, Individual lockers and reading lights, free linen. Attached bathroom with western toilet, rain shower and free use of fluffy towels and toiletries. You can also charge your gadgets and accessories safely with power sockets built into your individual locker.
- Private rooms feature AC, TV, WiFi, private bathroom with western toilet & rain Shower, free use of linen, towels and toiletries.
- A familiar, friendly and young atmosphere where you will find us the whole day always willing to help you find a place to eat or to go out in town, book tickets, find the best deals on activities, off road trails and onward transportation.
- NEW! Sumptuous family style group dinners on our outdoor deck with a varied selection of the best local dishes you can try all out and pick your favourites. Offered every evening at a budget price.
- NEW! Outdoor Movie Projector for cosy movie nights on our deck. Available when the majority is up for it.
- Well maintained bikes and scooters to explore the hilly roads and admire the scenery surrounding our village in a most relaxing way.
- Free bikes after 2.00pm, so you are just a free 7 minute bike ride along the Li-river away from West Street, the shop, restaurant and club area along the same river.
- Cheerful English speaking staff who enthusiastically contribute to our great hostel atmosphere!
- Self-composed travel guide book will be your top source of information with all tours, sights and activities listed in and around Yangshuo. We provide our own detailed cycling maps and our reception and bar girls will add all additional information to it to suit your needs.
- Off-the-beaten-track activities such as kayaking trips on secluded parts of the Li-river, rock climbing and deep water soloing along Li-river cliffs, Longji Rice terrace tour, great off the beaten track cycling tours, scooter tours winding for miles into the hills, various bamboo-rafting tours (on both Li-river and Yulong river), tai chi on our rooftop terrace, Yangshuo local cooking classes, cave and Moon Hill hiking trips, light show and cormorant fishing tickets, etc.
- DVD-room with flat-screen TV and movies, books library, music, board games and cards, to keep you entertained non depending on weather conditions...
- In-house supplies, snacks & fruit shop.
- Free internet and WiFi-access in all areas, common and private.
- Pick-up service from anywhere in Guilin or Yangshuo. Taxi service in and out of town, 5 minutes.
- A great combination of events & chill where travellers from all over the world come to meet and exchange experiences. If you are a person who wants to make new friends, have a beer, enjoy the hostel atmosphere amid great scenery, you have found your place!
Note: Although the road to our village is perfectly safe and is the most popular walking trail of locals to retain exercise and health, particularly single travelers may be intimidated that the road can be pitch dark on new moon nights since there are no street lights to the countryside. We provide flash-lights free for use and encourage a great local experience on the way back home to friends!
Welcome to our Carpe Diem Hostel!
For your convenience we would like to inform you about the following;
Our reception opening times are 07.30-22.00 (08.00-22.00 during winter) but we will let you in anytime, no curfew here!
During reception hours you can reach us on 0086-(0)773-8822533 or 008615977400211. If you need to contact us urgently at night (22.00-08.00), we will assist you through our mobile number: 008615977400211.
From Guilin airport to Yangshuo:
Guilin airport is located about 95km West of Yangshuo. Using public transportation the trip would take about 3 to 4 hours while a taxi ride along the highway only takes about 1h10min. Below are the details for both options:
After every flight arrival there are buses that go to the airport express stop in Guilin's center for about 20. Get off at the last stop and walk or take a short taxi ride to the train station in Guilin. From there follow the directions from Guilin train station. Be aware that like most bus services in China, the bus won't leave the airport until full so you may be faced with a wait. The trip to our hostel in Yangshuo would take between 2.5 and 4 hours.
BY TAXI / MINI-VAN:
For a more convenient transfer, we can arrange a taxi or mini-van for you to pick you up at Guilin airport. This way it is much easier to reach our hostel and you do not have to worry about being cheated. These pick-ups can be arranged day or night so with very early or late arrivals you do not necessarily need to spend a night in Guilin, the taxi ride to Yangshuo would only take about half an hour longer. We had numerous travelers who waited until their arrival at the airport and arranged their taxi there and experienced problems with overcharged fares and explaining directions to our village because the majority of drivers just know the location of the bus station in Yangshuo which resulted in numerous phone calls to us for directions, to bargain down to a fair rate, and a prolonged journey. We always work with the same driver - the son of our landlord - which counts for a safe, reliable journey at the standard rate.
There are 2 ways to get here by taxi from the Guilin airport (95km): Recommended is the highway route (1h10m) by either a taxi (1-4p*, 310) or mini-van (4-10p*, 430) which counts for a more scenic, faster, safe and comfortable journey, hence recommended. We can also organize the cheaper option by bumpy and generally high trafficked main road (1h40m) per taxi (1-4p*, 280 or mini-van (4-10p*, 400). For your safety and comfort we suggest to use the highway. When not specified we will organize the recommended highway route for you. In order for us to arrange your pick-up efficiently, please provide us with your full flight number and the scheduled arrival time in Guilin. Our driver will then be waiting for you at the arrival hall with a sign carrying both your name and the name of our Yangshuo hostel, Trippers Carpe Diem.
* A taxi (sedan type) can fit maximum 4 people with light carriage. If you carry more luggage than can fit in an average sized trunk and on top of your laps, hiring a mini-van is recommended to ensure a comfortable journey.
From Guilin train station to Yangshuo:
The nearest train station to Yangshuo is located in Guilin, 65km from Yangshuo.
Just outside of the Guilin train station there are regular local buses that leave to Yangshuo for about 20Y. These do stop anywhere along the way so the ride to the Yangshuo bus station may take anywhere between 1h30m and 2 hours. From the Yangshuo bus station, see the directions below.
BY TAXI / MINI-VAN:
A pick up from the Guilin train station (65km, 1h10m) directly to our Yangshuo hostel costs 210Y.
From Guilin bus station to Yangshuo:
Most long distance bus routes will end in the Guilin bus station but often, like coming from Shenzhen, Hong Kong or Guangzhou, you could get off at the bus station in Yangshuo (but you will need to notify the driver from beforehand). The Guilin bus station is located 65km from Yangshuo.
From the Guilin bus station there are regular express buses heading to the Yangshuo bus station every 20 minutes for 20Y. These rides take about 1h30min and will take you to the Yangshuo bus station with directions from there here further below.
BY TAXI / MINI-VAN:
We can arrange a taxi from the Guilin bus station (65km, 1h10m) directly to our Yangshuo hostel for 210Y.
Coming on a Li-river boat cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo:
These cruises start at the Zhujiang wharf, located 30 minutes outside of the center of Guilin, with the last boats leaving at 9.30am (at the time of this last update, 4/4/2012).
If you come to Yangshuo on a Li-river boat cruise from Guilin, the boats stop either at the Long Tou Shan docks near our guesthouse (turn right while all other passengers will turn left to the center, and follow our signs) or a bit further at the Fuan dock near West Street (call us for a pick-up upon arrival). Pick-ups at the docks cannot be arranged from beforehand as arrival times of boats differ too much from scheduled times and drivers are not allowed to wait and park near the docks.
From anywhere in Yangshuo's center; go to the Li-river, turn left (keep the river at your right hand side) and follow the road aside the river, passed the yellow covered corridor, always keep going straight ahead. When the road bends away from the river do not turn right but instead follow straight ahead and soon - after 300m - you will enter the village and you will find our colorful guesthouse at about 50m at your left hand side.
You could also enjoy this wonderful scenery on a smaller motorized raft (which can be combined with a hiking trip along the shores of the river) that generally offers better value and a more relaxed environment. This tour starts in Yangshuo and we can easily help you to arrange this upon arrival.
From Yangshuo bus station to our hostel:
The Yangshuo bus station is located near the main road Guilin - Yangshuo at about 3km from our hostel. The walk to our hostel would take about 30-35 minutes and depending on the luggage you carry can be quite exhaustive during a hot summer day.
To ease your way to our hostel we offer a pick-up service from anywhere in Yangshuo (20Y). However these cannot be arranged from beforehand as arrival times of buses differ too much from scheduled times and drivers are not willing to wait.
But when you call us upon arrival in Yangshuo between reception hours (8.00-22.00, dial 0086-(0)773-8822533), it is possible for us to arrange the pick-up. You then only need to tell us where you are (there are phone shops near the bus station in case you did not bring a phone) and we will have someone to pick you up soon. Our driver will meet you in the waiting hall next to the ticket office in the bus station with a name card of our hostel, Trippers Carpe Diem.
Outside of these hours, show our address in Chinese (shown at the bottom of all our website pages) and our phone number (just in case) to one of the drivers near the bus station to get you here for 25-30Y which is the standard price you will pay to drivers in Yangshuo. We advise the same when you are dropped off at the gas station, which might be the case when you come on a sleeper bus from Shenzhen or Guangzhou.
From anywhere in Yangshuo's center; go to the Li-river, turn left and follow the road aside the river (keep the river at your right hand side), always keep going straight ahead. When the road bends away from the river do not turn right but instead follow straight ahead and soon - after 300m - you will enter the village and you will find our colorful guesthouse at about 50m at your left hand side.
Please carry the address of our hostel (in Chinese) and both our phone numbers, the landline and our mobile number, just in case.
For more information about the tours we offer and the activities we can help you to organize, have a look at our activities section on our website at http://www.guesthouseyangshuo.com
Please take note of our booking terms and conditions on http://www.guesthouseyangshuo.com/en/Book-yangshuo-hostel-terms.html just in case you would choose to change or cancel your reservation with us.
If you have any questions or wishes regarding your stay with us, drop us a mail at email@example.com.
We are already looking forward to welcome you here with us!
See you soon!
The Carpe Diem Team :-)
Shi Ban Qiao village nr 35
Click here to enlarge map
This is a Trusted Review. Why?
Fun place to stay at! I stayed in a private room and the a/c was excellent! To add to my comfort, I would have preferred a somewhat padded or covered bed mattress (mattresses in Asia are notoriously hard) and larger sheets. The sheets were too small to stay around the mattress or to keep your feet covered. All the people in the hostel are very helpful. If you go on bike trips, the guide of the hostel is excellent. It is not a place to go out in the evening or to stay up late partying. All is quiet around 11:30 and the hostel is a 20 min. walk from Yangshuo, which is fine, but not to be done after hours. There is a barbeque on Sunday evenings which has the guests come together for some excellent food. The location is a plus for its quiet country appeal, but it is away from the city activities if you're in for that.
Have you stayed here? Write a review
* The Customer Satisfaction score is based on a combination of ratings from Travellerspoint and external websites. The score of 86% for this property is based on ratings provided by 64 guests.