Fun place to stay at! I stayed in a private room and the a/c was excellent! To add to my comfort, I would have preferred a somewhat padded or covered bed mattress (mattresses in Asia are notoriously hard) and larger sheets.
Welcome to Trippers Carpe Diem, a relaxing and cosy hostel with a homely feel, halfway up the hill in one of Yangshuo's most beautiful villages near the Li-river, yet within walking distance from the town center!
Here at our Carpe Diem seize the day - hostel we mainly focus on bringing you all together and connect with each other for highly memorable travel experiences!
Join us for Christmas for a big festive meal, great food, mulled wine and great company!
Recommended by Lonely Planet China (edition May 2011): 'This brand-new hostel run by a Chinese-Belgian family is highly recommended by travelers. In addition to stunning views of the rice fields and karst peaks, excellent staff and spotless rooms, the hostel has an MSG-free cafe with European highlights... It's out of town (1,5km north of Xijie) but close enough to walk to. Walk (or cycle) along the river (upstream) for 15 minutes to ShiBanQiao village.'
Enjoy our winter promotion: Book for 4 nights, stay a 5th night on us! (offer valid between November 15 - March 31, excl 9-15/2/2013)
Our Hostel Features & Services:
- Wide open terraces on 3 different levels with arguably the best communal balcony views of Yangshuo! Pool-table, lounge and electronic music, plenty of comfy seating areas and a bar nearby with a fridge full of cheap local beers and what might be a welcome change for the Chinese beers, a great selection of Belgian Beers with Duvel, Leffe, Hoegaarden, Stella, Chimay and Rochefort!
- Our bar provides comfy seating, with proper cooling and heating and large windows to enjoy the mountain views and valley views.
- Cheerful English speaking staff who enthusiastically contribute to our great hostel atmosphere!
- Our self-composed travel guide book will be your top source of information with all tours, sights and activities listed in and around Yangshuo, we provide our own detailed cycling maps and our reception and bar girls will add all additional information to it to suit your needs.
- We organize our own off-the-beaten-track activities such as kayaking trips on secluded parts of the Li-river, rock climbing and deep water soloing along Li-river cliffs, Longji Rice terrace tour, great off the beaten track cycling tours, scooter tours winding for miles into the hills, various bamboo-rafting tours (on both Li-river and Yulong river), tai chi on our rooftop terrace, Yangshuo local cooking classes, cave and Moon Hill hiking trips, light show and cormorant fishing tickets, etc
- A varied menu with countryside rates with an excellent chef, both in local & western food.
- DVD-room with flat-screen TV and integrated movies, books library, music, board games and cards, to keep you entertained non depending on weather conditions...
- Free internet and wifi-access in all areas, common and private.
- In-House bicycle and scooter rental. Flash-lights for nightly walks.
- Pick-up service from anywhere in Guilin or Yangshuo. Taxi service in and out of town.
- Yangshuo's best countryside rates with beds from 30-40Y!
- No curfew here, if you want to go party in town, our guard will let you in at anytime.
- Now we can also help you to arrange your visa for Vietnam. While staying in our hostel your visa will be sent to the embassy in Vietnam where you can pick it up either the next day or get it back in Yangshuo in 2 to 4 working days. We can also arrange a bus directly to Nanning where you can spend a night and will be picked up the next morning for the journey to Hanoi.
For flash-packers who favor a bit more luxury and comfort whilst enjoying a social hostel vibe, our Yangshuo Village Retreat next-doors (100m) might well be well what you are looking for with King sized beds, private balconies, floor-to-ceiling windows, rain showers, rooftop garden with jacuzzi, etc!
An oasis of relaxation and comfort, with lot's of information how to make the most out of your trip, and where a truly warm welcome awaits you!
The Carpe Diem Service Team.
Welcome to our Carpe Diem Hostel!
For your convenience we would like to inform you about the following;
Our reception opening times are 07.30-22.00 (08.00-22.00 during winter) but we will let you in anytime, no curfew here!
During reception hours you can reach us on 0086-(0)773-8822533 or 008615977400211. If you need to contact us urgently at night (22.00-08.00), we will assist you through our mobile number: 008615977400211.
From Guilin airport to Yangshuo:
Guilin airport is located about 95km West of Yangshuo. Using public transportation the trip would take about 3 to 4 hours while a taxi ride along the highway only takes about 1h10min. Below are the details for both options:
After every flight arrival there are buses that go to the airport express stop in Guilin's center for about 20¥. Get off at the last stop and walk or take a short taxi ride to the train station in Guilin. From there follow the directions from Guilin train station. Be aware that like most bus services in China, the bus won't leave the airport until full so you may be faced with a wait. The trip to our hostel in Yangshuo would take between 2.5 and 4 hours.
BY TAXI / MINI-VAN:
For a more convenient transfer, we can arrange a taxi or mini-van for you to pick you up at Guilin airport. This way it is much easier to reach our hostel and you do not have to worry about being cheated. These pick-ups can be arranged day or night so with very early or late arrivals you do not necessarily need to spend a night in Guilin, the taxi ride to Yangshuo would only take about half an hour longer. We had numerous travelers who waited until their arrival at the airport and arranged their taxi there and experienced problems with overcharged fares and explaining directions to our village because the majority of drivers just know the location of the bus station in Yangshuo which resulted in numerous phone calls to us for directions, to bargain down to a fair rate, and a prolonged journey. We always work with the same driver - the son of our landlord - which counts for a safe, reliable journey at the standard rate.
There are 2 ways to get here by taxi from the Guilin airport (95km): Recommended is the highway route (1h10m) by either a taxi (1-4p*, 310¥) or mini-van (4-10p*, 430¥) which counts for a more scenic, faster, safe and comfortable journey, hence recommended. We can also organize the cheaper option by bumpy and generally high trafficked main road (1h40m) per taxi (1-4p*, 280¥ or mini-van (4-10p*, 400¥). For your safety and comfort we suggest to use the highway. When not specified we will organize the recommended highway route for you. In order for us to arrange your pick-up efficiently, please provide us with your full flight number and the scheduled arrival time in Guilin. Our driver will then be waiting for you at the arrival hall with a sign carrying both your name and the name of our Yangshuo hostel, Trippers Carpe Diem.
* A taxi (sedan type) can fit maximum 4 people with light carriage. If you carry more luggage than can fit in an average sized trunk and on top of your laps, hiring a mini-van is recommended to ensure a comfortable journey.
From Guilin train station to Yangshuo:
The nearest train station to Yangshuo is located in Guilin, 65km from Yangshuo.
Just outside of the Guilin train station there are regular local buses that leave to Yangshuo for about 20Y. These do stop anywhere along the way so the ride to the Yangshuo bus station may take anywhere between 1h30m and 2 hours. From the Yangshuo bus station, see the directions below.
BY TAXI / MINI-VAN:
A pick up from the Guilin train station (65km, 1h10m) directly to our Yangshuo hostel costs 210Y.
From Guilin bus station to Yangshuo:
Most long distance bus routes will end in the Guilin bus station but often, like coming from Shenzhen, Hong Kong or Guangzhou, you could get off at the bus station in Yangshuo (but you will need to notify the driver from beforehand). The Guilin bus station is located 65km from Yangshuo.
From the Guilin bus station there are regular express buses heading to the Yangshuo bus station every 20 minutes for 20Y. These rides take about 1h30min and will take you to the Yangshuo bus station with directions from there here further below.
BY TAXI / MINI-VAN:
We can arrange a taxi from the Guilin bus station (65km, 1h10m) directly to our Yangshuo hostel for 210Y.
Coming on a Li-river boat cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo:
These cruises start at the Zhujiang wharf, located 30 minutes outside of the center of Guilin, with the last boats leaving at 9.30am (at the time of this last update, 4/4/2012).
If you come to Yangshuo on a Li-river boat cruise from Guilin, the boats stop either at the Long Tou Shan docks near our guesthouse (turn right while all other passengers will turn left to the center, and follow our signs) or a bit further at the Fuan dock near West Street (call us for a pick-up upon arrival). Pick-ups at the docks cannot be arranged from beforehand as arrival times of boats differ too much from scheduled times and drivers are not allowed to wait and park near the docks.
From anywhere in Yangshuo's center; go to the Li-river, turn left (keep the river at your right hand side) and follow the road aside the river, passed the yellow covered corridor, always keep going straight ahead. When the road bends away from the river do not turn right but instead follow straight ahead and soon - after 300m - you will enter the village and you will find our colorful guesthouse at about 50m at your left hand side.
You could also enjoy this wonderful scenery on a smaller motorized raft (which can be combined with a hiking trip along the shores of the river) that generally offers better value and a more relaxed environment. This tour starts in Yangshuo and we can easily help you to arrange this upon arrival.
From Yangshuo bus station to our hostel:
The Yangshuo bus station is located near the main road Guilin - Yangshuo at about 3km from our hostel. The walk to our hostel would take about 30-35 minutes and depending on the luggage you carry can be quite exhaustive during a hot summer day.
To ease your way to our hostel we offer a pick-up service from anywhere in Yangshuo (20Y). However these cannot be arranged from beforehand as arrival times of buses differ too much from scheduled times and drivers are not willing to wait.
But when you call us upon arrival in Yangshuo between reception hours (8.00-22.00, dial 0086-(0)773-8822533), it is possible for us to arrange the pick-up. You then only need to tell us where you are (there are phone shops near the bus station in case you did not bring a phone) and we will have someone to pick you up soon. Our driver will meet you in the waiting hall next to the ticket office in the bus station with a name card of our hostel, Trippers Carpe Diem.
Outside of these hours, show our address in Chinese (shown at the bottom of all our website pages) and our phone number (just in case) to one of the drivers near the bus station to get you here for 25-30Y which is the standard price you will pay to drivers in Yangshuo. We advise the same when you are dropped off at the gas station, which might be the case when you come on a sleeper bus from Shenzhen or Guangzhou.
From anywhere in Yangshuo's center; go to the Li-river, turn left and follow the road aside the river (keep the river at your right hand side), always keep going straight ahead. When the road bends away from the river do not turn right but instead follow straight ahead and soon - after 300m - you will enter the village and you will find our colorful guesthouse at about 50m at your left hand side.
Please carry the address of our hostel (in Chinese) and both our phone numbers, the landline and our mobile number, just in case.
For more information about the tours we offer and the activities we can help you to organize, have a look at our activities section on our website at http://www.guesthouseyangshuo.com
Please take note of our booking terms and conditions on http://www.guesthouseyangshuo.com/en/Book-yangshuo-hostel-terms.html just in case you would choose to change or cancel your reservation with us.
If you have any questions or wishes regarding your stay with us, drop us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are already looking forward to welcome you here with us!
See you soon!
The Carpe Diem Team :-)
Shi Ban Qiao village nr 35
Click here to enlarge map
This is a Trusted Review. Why?
Fun place to stay at! I stayed in a private room and the a/c was excellent! To add to my comfort, I would have preferred a somewhat padded or covered bed mattress (mattresses in Asia are notoriously hard) and larger sheets. The sheets were too small to stay around the mattress or to keep your feet covered. All the people in the hostel are very helpful. If you go on bike trips, the guide of the hostel is excellent. It is not a place to go out in the evening or to stay up late partying. All is quiet around 11:30 and the hostel is a 20 min. walk from Yangshuo, which is fine, but not to be done after hours. There is a barbeque on Sunday evenings which has the guests come together for some excellent food. The location is a plus for its quiet country appeal, but it is away from the city activities if you're in for that.
Have you stayed here? Write a review
* The Customer Satisfaction score is based on a combination of ratings from Travellerspoint and external websites. The score of 90% for this property is based on ratings provided by 64 guests.