The alcatraz backpacker hostel - central, individual, affordable.
The Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel is situated right in the middle of the popular district Prenzlauer Berg, where students, party folks and unstressed residents mingle.
The house was colorfully decorated by local graffiti artists and is a popular photo opportunity both for passers-by and our guests alike. Just around the corner from us you may find cosy coffee shops, trendy designer stores, old fashioned record shops, second hand clothing and lots of low-priced restaurants to feast on either asian, italian, arabic or german food. The ideal starting point for sightseeing, shopping and nightlife!
Around the Hostel:
- 5 minutes walking from here you will find the Helmholtz-Kiez, a small district of charming cobblestone-streets packed with cosy cafes, cool bars, inviting restaurants and small shops selling unusual things
- 5 minutes walking from here you will also get to the Kulturbrauerei, a former brewery which has been refurbished and now hosts several clubs, theatres and a cinema as well as a beer-garden in summertime. Worth visiting, not only for the nice industrial age architecture
- 5 minutes walking from here you may find the Mauerpark, a municipal park situated where the Berlin Wall has been back in the days. A big, lively flea-market takes place here every sunday
- 5 minutes walking from here you will find the 'Max-Schmeling-Halle', a big venue for concerts and sport events
- 10 minutes by tram you may find the Wall Documentary Center. A very informative exhibition of pictures, videos and other information about the division of Berlin and what it meant for the city of Berlin. You can see the original parts of the Berlin Wall as well as the death-strip including watch-towers, all rebuild within the city.
- 10 minutes (or 3 stops) by underground line 2 you will reach Alexanderplatz with its famous, huge television tower that can be seen basically from everywhere in the city. Find lots of shopping opportunities here. At Alexanderplatz the district of Mitte begins, with all main points of interest to be reached within walking distance from here. For example, the Nicolaiviertel is the historical center of Berlin. This is basically where the story of Berlin began (go here and eat Eisbein mit Erbspueree, you won't find any other food which is more typical to Berlin than this!). But also Museum-Island (with its famous Pergamon-Museum), the Opera-House, Gendarmenmarkt, Friedrichstrasse, the Brandenburger Tor, the Reichstag or the Holocaust-Memorial can all be reached by foot from Alexanderplatz!
Ask us, and we will tell you even more points of interest in Berlin!
What we offer:
- breakfast-buffet for just 3,80 Euro per person
- open 24h
- no curfew, no lock-out
- friendly, multilingual staff
- 2 common rooms
- free internet access, free wifi hot spot
- all rooms and common rooms are non smoking
- outdoor terrace on courtyard
- cool drinks at the reception
- fully equipped kitchen and eating-area
- bikes for rent
- safe luggage room (locked!)
Please note: all guests are obliged to pay a fee of 2,00 for bed sheets per person.
it is not possible to check-in after 1 a.m. in the morning. Please make sure to make it to the hostel in time!
phone: 0049 30 48496815
Have you stayed here? Write a review
Note: It is the responsibility of the hotel chain and/or the individual property to ensure the accuracy of the photos displayed. Travellerspoint is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the photos.
Create your own travel plan and bookmark this hotel on your plan. You can even bookmark hotels found on other websites!
Do you have questions about Berlin? You might try asking in our active travel forums and see if anyone else has been there.
Read up on what to see and do in Berlin in the Travellerspoint guide, written by travellers for travellers.