- The Drake Passage - Thursday, 26 February 2015Woke up this morning and the sea was still wild - 6 metre swell - and the boat was rocking from side to side and up and down. I was feeling okay so had some breakfast and immediately went back Posted by gaddingabout in Taste of Brazil and Antarctic Adventure | Mar 15, 2015
- The Drake Passage - Wednesday, 25 February 2015Position - 61°01.26' S
Sunrise - 6.15 am
Sunset - 8.45 pm
Sea Depth -3,300 mtrs
Slept very well and woke up sailing through the Drake Passage. It's a bit rough, but too bad. Nevertheless, I am taking it easy and staying in Posted by gaddingabout in Taste of Brazil and Antarctic Adventure | Mar 15, 2015
- The Weddell Sea - Tuesday, 24 February 2015Position - 64°38.32' S
Sea depth - 120m
Sunrise - 5.49 am
Sunset - 8.50 pm
We awoke this morning inside Wilhelmina Bay with Humpback Whales everywhere. It is freezing cold on the balcony and snowing. It's a bit hard to zoom in Posted by gaddingabout in Taste of Brazil and Antarctic Adventure | Mar 15, 2015
- Antarctic Peninsula Excursions - Monday, 23 February 2015Position - 65°10.45' S
Sea depth - 160 m
Sunrise - 5.52 am
Sunset - 9.04 pm
Had a great sleep. Woke up at some stage and felt the boat rocking and rolling, but went straight back to sleep.
We are now anchored off Petermann Posted by gaddingabout in Taste of Brazil and Antarctic Adventure | Mar 15, 2015
- Antarctic Peninsula Excursions - Sunday, 22 February 2015Position - 66°51.29' S
Sea Depth - 490 metres
Sun rise - 5.51 am
Sun set - 9.27 pm
After the sea sick episode last night, it was wonderful to wake up to calm conditions and such a fabulous sight. It was breathtaking. Posted by gaddingabout in Taste of Brazil and Antarctic Adventure | Mar 15, 2015
- Antarctic Peninsula Excursions - Saturday, 21 February 2015Sunrise - 5.44 am
Sunset - 9.08 pm
Sea depth - 70 m
Position - 64°49.71`S
We sailed through the night and woke this morning to a winter wonderland. Lots of icebergs and the land covered in snow. There was quite a fierce wind Posted by gaddingabout in Taste of Brazil and Antarctic Adventure | Mar 15, 2015
- Antarctic Peninsula Excursions - Friday, 20 February 2015Had a great night's sleep, jumped into the shower and then had our room service breakfast. Then the fun began - trying to put on all our clothes for our excursion ashore in Half Moon Bay. The island was known Posted by gaddingabout in Taste of Brazil and Antarctic Adventure | Mar 15, 2015
- Antarctica - The White Wilderness==Our Itinerary to the Antarctica Peninsula, Antarctica==
We departed from Ushuaia in southern Argentina, an area known as the Tierra del Fuego, the ‘Land at the End of the World’.
We had to cross the Drake Passage which has a Posted by janejoe in Antarctica and Argentina | Jan 20, 2015
- It's all over and now back home in YorkshireWell, we have been back just over a week and the Christmas rush makes the peace and tranquility of Antarctica seem a long time ago. However Margaret's amazing selection of photographs and the great group of people we met mean Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Dec 22, 2014
- Into the Drake PassageWe weren't disappointed: Ivor's voice woke the ship with the usual weather report but with a slight difference.
Temperature: "chilli beans, not baked beans";
Wind strength for Drake Passage: "thunder and lightening, very, very frightening";
Kayakers' Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Dec 8, 2014
- Lemaire Channel, blocked by iceEach day the weather has alternated between good and poor so we weren't surprised to find Sunday overcast, windy F5 and 0deg C.
Headi Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Dec 7, 2014
- Mainland and a very special dayNow it's Saturday so must be time for fun, but later. First a beautiful passage further down the Gerlache Strait and into the Neumeyer Channel, a narrow seaway between high mountains and ice in sunshine and light wind F3, - Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Dec 6, 2014
- More islands and first sight of Antarctic mainlandFriday and we anchor in Mikkelsen Harbour off Trinity Island and set off for shore to land on a tiny island. But before we get there, small matter of a lot of brash ice to get the Zodiac through. Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Dec 5, 2014
- Antarctic IslandsThursday and we were greeted by bright sunshine, wind now F4/5 and a cool -3deg C. We arrived at "HO" Island (actually "Aitcho") apparently named after the Hygrography Office to see several Gentoo and Chinstrap penguin colonies, within yards of Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Dec 4, 2014
- The Scotia SeaWe were now enjoying "dancing with the ship", ie trying to keep our balance while the floor moved up, down, sideways, angled one way, then the other. Quite entertaining once you get the idea! It was only later when we Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Dec 1, 2014
- Gold Harbour and farewell South GeorgiaOvernight we'd travelled South East and by morning arrived at Gold Harbour. Atop high cliffs is the most spectacular hanging glacier, looking as if poised to break and fall hundreds of feet to the shore below. With wind strength too Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Nov 30, 2014
- Stromness and GrytvikenThe early morning call for the Shackleton Walk sadly didn't come. The weather had deteriorated and so it breakfast and sailing into Stromness, our first sight of the derelict whaling station. Now an unsafe prohibited area with buildings in dangerous Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Nov 29, 2014
- Salisbury Plain and Fortuna BayGlorious sunshine, crisp blue sky and light F3 wind greeted us as we arrived off Salisbury Plain. We went ashore to one of the great wildlife spectacles of the World; 60,000 breeding pairs of King Penguins with their furry chicks, Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Nov 28, 2014
- Peggotty BluffEarly morning and the weather had deteriorated as our first glimpse of South Georgia emerged through the cloud and gloom. With sea now running high, ice forming on deck and wind blowing F7, prospect of first getting into King Haakon Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Nov 27, 2014
- At sea heading for King Haakon Bay, South GeorgiaWith both days at sea, we enjoyed listening to presentations by various of the guides and time on deck watching the birds, the sea and the special voyage flag flying at the masthead. On 26th, in preparation for arrival Posted by Purkism in Twoheadfurthersouth | Nov 26, 2014
- Oli & Liza's Honeymoon May 2015Thank you for visiting my travel blog, unfortunately you have jumped the gun and we are still working on our Travel plans. As soon as we have firmed these up we will be updating this blog with a number of Posted by LizaBrooks in Liza's Missions around the world | Dec 4, 2014
- That one does not fall leaves
I proudly ripples in the tree tops, enjoying a golden under a tree, watching the floated down the brothers and sisters, Xiao Xiaoyou Xiao Xiao......
When the first gold Fengjin sweep, there is Posted by aliceriy in changbaishan | Nov 28, 2013
- Sailing, Sailing...Over the BOUNDING Main: The Drake PassageNo pictures to relay and very little news today.
We're still in the grip of the Drake Passage and although it's gotten a little better than yesterday — now and then — the breaking waves and spray seem to be the Posted by jeburns55 in Antarctica 2007: End of the Earth Tour | Nov 9, 2013
- We Bagged Our Third Penguin: S. Shetland Islands, Antartica
We woke up this morning to the delightful news that we have one more stop — Half Moon Island, home of a large rookery of Chinstrap penguins.
[img=http://photos.travellerspo Posted by jeburns55 in Antarctica 2007: End of the Earth Tour | Nov 9, 2013
- From Whence We Came: South Shetland Islands, AntarcticaLast night we began sailing away from the mainland and back toward the South Shetland Islands where we began our Antarctic adventures. The passage wasn't an easy one. When we got into our bunks, the heaving swells of the sea Posted by jeburns55 in Antarctica 2007: End of the Earth Tour | Nov 9, 2013