- Chile aboard Crystal SerenityOn Saturday we arrived at a Chiloe island close to Puerto Montt and the town of Castro. Castro is Chile's third oldest city in continued existence. Rodrigo de Quiroga as the temporary governor of Chile in 1567 launched a campaign Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC, LCS, MBA | Feb 12, 2017
- Feb 12 - PUERTO CHACABUCO, CHILE
The early bird catches the moon!
The sun rose over the Andes as we sailed Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 8 | Feb 12, 2017
- Feb 11 - CASTRO (CHILOÉ ISLAND), CHILE
We’ve entered the Chiloé Archipelago – obviously arriving at low tide!
The Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 8 | Feb 11, 2017
- CoyhaigueFebruary 11
Back where we came from. Tomorrow we take the plane from Balmaceda to Santiago and on Monday we fly back to the Netherlands.
If you don't mind the dust from and bumping on unpaved roads, the ferries, the backpackers, and Posted by FierceOrc in Chile 2017 | Feb 11, 2017
- Ventisquero O’HigginsFebruary 9
Villa O’Higgins is tiny and drab, but the glacier was the absolute highlight. It’s a ten-hour boat ride out and back but worth at least nine of them. Glacier up close and personal. Bryce Canyon in ice. The tongue Posted by FierceOrc in Chile 2017 | Feb 10, 2017
- Feb 10 - PUERTO MONTT, CHILE
We are sailing south and are now in the northern part of Chilean Patagonia. In the early morning the full moon was magnificent.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 8 | Feb 10, 2017
- Chile aboard Crystal SerenityWe had our first formal night tonight and we chose to eat in the main dining room. We both had a superb Chateaubriand and then headed off to the show, where Broadway star James Fox performed the Music of Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC, LCS, MBA | Feb 10, 2017
- Back to where it all began===Return to Santiago===
~ We had been to the Atacama Desert and walked among flamingos, geysers and even “on the moon”.
~ We had been awed by the Posted by ToonSarah in Sarah's travels | Feb 10, 2017
- Feb 8 - VALPARAÍSO, CHILE (Day 2)
The exciting third segment begins: “ANTARTIC ADVENTURE”!
Originally Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 8 | Feb 9, 2017
- Chile aboard Crystal SerenityAfter about a 2 hour drive from Santiago to Valparaiso, through countryside that reminded me of Southern California, we boarded the ship. Our bags were already in the cabin, and, after the mandatory life boat drill we headed to Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC, LCS, MBA | Feb 9, 2017
- Catholicism and ancient cultures entwined===A last morning in Hanga Roa===
Santa Cruz Church
We had already walked past Hanga Roa’s small but intriguing Catholic church on our first afternoon on the islan Posted by ToonSarah in Sarah's travels | Feb 9, 2017
- Caleta Tortel – Villa O’HigginsFebruary 8
Going down and up the stairs to get to the car through the rain, I managed to slip on the final step before leaving Caleta Tortel. I kept it to myself. Nobody knows.
A bit of driving, a ferry, two Posted by FierceOrc in Chile 2017 | Feb 10, 2017
- Caleta TortelFebruary 9
This was our day of relaxation. Too bad the internet connection is like a ferry boat: endless loading times and slow motion. We could have made a trip to gletsjers, but since we have already booked a gletsjer trip Posted by FierceOrc in Chile 2017 | Feb 9, 2017
- Puerto Guadal – Caleta TortelFebruary 6
One road, one town, one intersection, one wrong turn. Twice: in Puerto Bertrand and Cochrane. We’re fast becoming experts at losing our way where there is really only one way to go.
Other than that, this was a relatively Posted by FierceOrc in Chile 2017 | Feb 9, 2017
- Feb 7 - VALPARAÍSO, CHILE (Day 1)
As dawn breaks over the 45 hills of Valparaíso we find that we are docked in – a container port. The houses on the hillsides and even the containers are pretty Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 8 | Feb 8, 2017
- Chile aboard Crystal SerenityAfter the typical overnight flight from Atlanta to Santiago, we were met by very helpful Crystal Cruises folks and transported to the Grand Hyatt Santiago, a wonderful 5 star hotel in the middle of the city. Our room was Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC, LCS, MBA | Feb 8, 2017
- Of moai and more===Exploring Rapa Nui===
On our second full day on Rapa Nui we took a whole day tour which concentrated on the main sights on the south-east and n Posted by ToonSarah in Sarah's travels | Feb 8, 2017
- An introduction to the moai, and the cult of the Birdman===Exploring Rapa Nui===
===What’s in a name?===
So here we are on Rapa Nui – and I use that name with deliberation. Most people refer to this remo Posted by ToonSarah in Sarah's travels | Feb 6, 2017
- Feb 6 - COQUIMBO, CHILE
Congratulations, New England Patriots! We watched you perform the impossible into the wee hours of the night (Chile's time is two hours later than Eastern Standard Tim Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 8 | Feb 6, 2017
- Puerto GuadalFebruary 5
The people here get their news from local radio stations (and the internet, no doubt). There are no newspapers. For one thing, the country here is so sparsely populated that there is a clear shortage of readership, and the Posted by FierceOrc in Chile 2017 | Feb 5, 2017
- Coyhaigue – Puerto GuadalFebruary 4
Today was a memorable day of extended offroad travel (missing the first of two turnoffs while I was navigating, but I recovered by finding a shortcut), being hurled from one marvelous panorama unto the next glorious vista, while being Posted by FierceOrc in Chile 2017 | Feb 5, 2017
- Chapter 6 - Leaving Chile. Kind of. Sort of. Eventually...“No Bus”, said the lady in the Andesmar Bus office in San Pedro de Atacama in northern Chile.
Nik and I had been travelling gradually up from Cape Horn at the bottom of Chile, and San Pedro de Atacama was our Posted by capetocape2017 in Cape to Cape 2017. By Land. Mostly | Feb 5, 2017
- Torres Del PaineIt’s been raining all night but at “stands up” 8am it was just misty with wet roads and very cool at 8degC. Today we cross back into Chile on our way to Torres Del Paine National Park on a mixture Posted by ScottyJ in A coddiwomple to the Americas & beyond | Feb 5, 2017
- The navel of the earth===To Rapa Nui===
One of the main reasons we had come to Chile was to combine time on the mainland, visiting the Atacama Desert and Posted by ToonSarah in Sarah's travels | Feb 5, 2017
- Breaking the journey===A few hours in Punta Arenas===
View from our room[/float]
We broke our journey back to Santiago from the Torres del Paine with an overnight stay in Punta Posted by ToonSarah in Sarah's travels | Feb 4, 2017