- Rainy welcome to Shanghai.We'll I won't start to describe Shanghai as it was cold and very wet when I arrived, and stayed that way for the day I was there.
Saying that, there were many highlights, including:
- getting picked up from the airport Posted by Kiwi Holly in Well ni hao China! | Apr 26, 2014
- Shangri-LaRenaming Zhongdian to Shangri-La in 2002 to increase tourism worked a treat. First on our hit-list: Ganden Sumtseling Monastery; a Tibetan Monastry built by the 5th Dalai Lama at an elevation of 3,380m. Of the 700 monks housed there, we Posted by 2 Idiots Abroad in 2 Idiots Abroad | Apr 28, 2014
- Mystery MassageToday I had a mystery massage.
One lovely thing about Haikou, is the access to inexpensive massages. There are small parlor's (avoid any pink lighting), mini-chain parlors and massive massage buildings with neon lighting. All of these places are housi Posted by MissMaggieMae in Wonderlust | Apr 28, 2014
- Biking 2014 - part 2Now that I knew how to get off the island without riding across a bridge (and there is only one of those that bikes should even consider riding on, regardless of whether bikes are supposed to be on any of Posted by katya42 in A Bibliophile Abroad | Apr 27, 2014
- It takes a while to get your head around China!Hello lovely Readers,
As you know, from my previous blog, I was a bit unsure about China and finding it quite hard to take. I think this was mostly to do with the fact I had a Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | Apr 26, 2014
- Biking 2014 - part 1The 42nd Annual Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. RAGBRAI XLII. It is coming this summer - the last full week of July.
Back in Junior High or High School, when I first decided I would like to ride all Posted by katya42 in A Bibliophile Abroad | Apr 26, 2014
- Saturday 26 April 2014We were met by our Li River cruise tour guide in the lobby at 8:20am and got in the bus for the 40 minute drive to where the cruise began. On the way our guide told us that Guilin Posted by kjgrose in China 2014 | Apr 26, 2014
- Tiananmen Square & The Great Wall of ChinaThe only thing I knew about Tiananmen Square before I came to Beijing was that it was the focal point of the pro-democracy protests in 1989 when several hundred protesters were killed by the military. From those protests the world Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | Apr 26, 2014
- Friday 25 April 2014We had a bit of a sleep in this morning and then Gailyn and Mum went for a swim before we headed out for the day at about 11am. It was grey and wet and miserable in Guilin today Posted by kjgrose in China 2014 | Apr 25, 2014
- Thursday 24 April 2014We had our fourth breakfast of Paris Baguette pastries (out of our 5 mornings in Shanghai) then packed up and checked out of our hotel. We were leaving from Pudong Airport, which is in the opposite direction to the Posted by kjgrose in China 2014 | Apr 24, 2014
- Wednesday 23 April 2014We began the day again with breakfast at Paris Baguette, then headed back to the Yuyuan Gardens area because the kids wanted to do a bit more shopping. We wandered around in a few different alleyways to where we Posted by kjgrose in China 2014 | Apr 24, 2014
- I'm not eating that!! After sleeping rough in Beijing airport, 1 train, 2 rush hour tubes and a wild goose chase later, we finally made it to our hostel. We are knackered and I'm sure I'm coming down with a cold!! Not Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | Apr 23, 2014
- Tuesday 22 April 2014After two fairly quiet days in Shanghai, we had a busy day today, which began with a breakfast of pastries at Paris Baguette. We then headed down to the Bund and were looking for a bank when we started Posted by kjgrose in China 2014 | Apr 22, 2014
- The Case of the Missing KnifeKate slept much better on this night train, although it stopped quite a bit throwing us into the wall at irregular intervals, so couldn't call us well rested on waking.
Now in Shanghai, we went to pick up Pat's knife. Posted by katepluspat in Kate and Pat Blow the House Deposit | Apr 5, 2014
- China Fatigue We wake up to a rainy day. We only have a morning left and planned to ride bikes around the city wall then visit the Big Wild Goose Pagoda. With the rain, bike riding was out- too slippery. Little spanner Posted by katepluspat in Kate and Pat Blow the House Deposit | Apr 3, 2014
- Note: Confirmation Email Does Not Imply ConfirmationAfter a poor night's sleep we were fully awoken at 6.30 by someone's kids screaming in the hall. At about 7am a bossy woman comes and unlocks our door trying to barge in while we're still tucked in our bunks Posted by katepluspat in Kate and Pat Blow the House Deposit | Apr 2, 2014
- Monday 21 April 2014After a breakfast of pastries from Paris Baguette in our room, we set off this morning for the Old Town area of Shanghai. Unfortunately it was drizzling for most of the day today, but this morning the drizzle was Posted by kjgrose in China 2014 | Apr 21, 2014
- Shanghai Day 4Our final day in Shanghai, exploring on our own today. We have been very spoilt while Michelle was here, with the hotel car mostly taking us from place to place. But the kids had been hanging out to Posted by JadeLim in Asia/Europe 2014 | Apr 21, 2014
- Shanghai Day 3On day three we split up into different activities. The Hilton Hotel is sponsoring the Formula 1 race being held in Shanghai, and Allen got to accompany Gerd to go to see the race. The kids and I went Posted by JadeLim in Asia/Europe 2014 | Apr 21, 2014
- Great, Great Wall dayA full day today visiting the Jinshaling and Scimitai sections of the Great Wall. These sections are 2.5 to 3 hours drive out of Beijing but definitely worth the effort. A delayed start today due to the road closure outside Posted by adtamo in The Wheary Travellers | Apr 21, 2014
- Heavenly temples & heavenly hazeAnother cloudy day but not much haze this morning. Went to the Temple of Heaven, a circular, multitiered temple that resembled something like a wedding cake. Like with most imperial monuments here in China, you enter multiple gates Posted by adtamo in The Wheary Travellers | Apr 21, 2014
- Kate and Pat's Run In With The Law After more delicious breakfast dumplings, we think we'll start the day at the Summer Palace and Temple of Heaven. 90% of the way there we change our minds and decided to grab our tickets for tonight's sleeper train first and Posted by katepluspat in Kate and Pat Blow the House Deposit | Apr 1, 2014
- Great Wall Still Coming In Handy Up bright and early this morning to be picked up at 7.30 to head to the Great Wall- many thanks to Jess Lambert for this one. We wait at the meeting point. There's definitely Beijing smog today, our view of Posted by katepluspat in Kate and Pat Blow the House Deposit | Mar 31, 2014
- Dumplings for Breakfast!We fly out today at 4pm from Osaka. A couple of days ago we worked out how to get there from Kyoto and how much time we'd have this morning. Looked very simple! Catch a single bus from the Kyoto Posted by katepluspat in Kate and Pat Blow the House Deposit | Mar 30, 2014
- Sunday 20 April 2014We woke up this morning to discover that the view from Gailyn’s and my window towards the Bund is fantastic! We can see lots of the buildings on the Pudong side of the river (which we could see last night Posted by kjgrose in China 2014 | Apr 20, 2014