- Ecuador's Coast, improving from disgustingWe have been in Ecuador for a week now, taking the less-common coastal route. We're saving the mountains for the trip back. There is a lot of money being spent on roads, which are generally good except for Posted by ceastburn in Sunny and Cricket's Terruffic Adventure | Mar 22, 2013
- Earnest MatingIn a protected lagoon of brackish water we heard the splash of sea turtles trying to mount each other. It looked as ungraceful and earnest as human mating. We all stared and took pictures as they climbed and lunged and Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 16, 2013
- Colombia/EcuadorCalí is not really a tourist town, which is one reason we liked it. The citizens are not slaves to the tourist trade, and therefore treat us as perhaps, curiosities, but not targets. We saw old churches and Posted by ceastburn in Sunny and Cricket's Terruffic Adventure | Mar 14, 2013
- Quito/GalapagosWe left the hotel at 7:30am for the hour plus trip to the new Quito airport - that trip can be up to 2 hours in traffic. Most of the locals are too enthralled by the new location, although Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC | Mar 12, 2013
- Quito Ecuador - on the way to the GalapagosWe arrived in Quito at about 11:00pm - pretty typical for flights to this wonderful city. The airport is brand new - having only been open a few weeks, but you could hardly tell it. The baggage delivery Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC | Mar 9, 2013
- Finding Our Ocean[left]One night we were watching International House Hunters and the episode location was based on Salinas, Ecuador. We have been to Hawaii 3 times previously and wanted to go someplace new. Someplace where we could actually afford to Posted by rnswitzer in Travel Ooboo | Mar 9, 2013
- Let It LingerA light depression descends, falling like soft rain. The cruise is nearly over, and, like everything we do, it has become our whole life; the thought of "after" resides in a place of fear and darkness. Quickly we ink it Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 15, 2013
- GratitudeOne might say each day's wildlife viewing is better than the last. When you are distracted from diving cormorants by a school of sting rays and then distracted from them by swimming penguins and after that, following one sea turtle, Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 14, 2013
- Yes, It's the GalapagosWhen the day is done for everybody else, and they collapse into bed in an easy sleep, I am still awake, writing. It grows late, my eyes burn. And yet how can I leave unwritten that moment I dropped from Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 13, 2013
- It's the GalapagosThe rocking of the boat makes even a moment of stillness feel like vertigo. Nonetheless it is gentle, just a slight bobbing this close to the equator at the calm time of year. Yes, our cruise has begun. Our flight Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 11, 2013
- Sleeping in Unconventional PlacesOh! It's February 11, that day that was always in our heads, the day we'd have to be in Guayaquil so we could make our flight to the Galapagos, the date that drove all the other dates, flipping us around Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 10, 2013
- Grouchy in CuencaFeeling sick and grouchy. Spent the whole day in bed or thereabouts. Ventured out for lunch and to check pharmacies for motion sickness medication for the cruise. What a troublesome thing, this cruise. Haven't seen much of Cuenca but also Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 8, 2013
- Some Misc. Notes from the Road1. Don't forget to throw the toilet paper into the trash can not the toilet.
Even though I practiced this during the years I lived in Mexico and during my many travels to other parts of the world, I still Posted by jaytravels in The Foreigner | Mar 7, 2013
- Equator.. Ecuator.. Ecuador!Originally I didn't have any plans to stay in Ecuador. I just had 2 extra days and wanted to get away from Colombia as soon as I could (see last post). I was going to hike at 4000m later (that's Posted by btang in Blitzing Around the World | Mar 5, 2013
- bus to la celva.....Been sitting on the bus for four hours now traveling West from Cuenca, to la celba/celva, never sure if it’s a b or v so I just sort of whisper both and it works. I have never been good at Posted by sophhear in Viva the pirate child | Mar 3, 2013
- These songs of freedomHola chicos,
This weekend was a bit of an adventure. We have three new volunteers, Kate and Josh, and Pavan, all from the UK, and it is really nice to get some new blood out on the farm. Friday night we Posted by milaina14 in Ecuador 2013 | Mar 3, 2013
- The Galapagos Better Be Worth ItEvery night there is some Ecuadorian equivalent of bad karaoke going on in the hotel or right outside of it. Drunk-sounding men. Not so loud that you would ever dream of complaining but with that rising-in-volume quality that lifts you Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 7, 2013
- Sleep!I'm in bed now. The sheets are clean and white, and we have nothing in particular planned tomorrow. It feels delicious. Though I slept for about half our 7-hour bus ride, I'm about to keel over. That feels delicious, too.
Cuenca. Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 6, 2013
- LatacungaAfter the rain, the sunshine feels strange. You walk about in a daze, uncertain of what you're seeing and squinting from the brightness. Everywhere the signs of rain remain, but already you see the ground beginning to dry.
Today we saw Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 5, 2013
- Quilotoa Loop: Day 3It's 5 o' clock, so there are still two more hours before dinner. We lie huddled together for warmth beneath three wool blankets and a coverlet of the kind you see in a gift store of a failing mall--a wide, Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 2, 2013
- Quilotoa Loop: Day 2Nothing but the sound of muted footsteps, shuffling over a grass-softened path. A valley reminds you of every other valley you've ever been in, and they are all pleasant memories. Sheer limestone cliffs. Rocky ridges of odd, untamed shapes. Have Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 1, 2013
- Quilotoa Loop: Day 1A river not so much cutting through steep valleys as tumbling. A tamed, pastoral river, barely more than a creek. I was somehow enchanted by it, felt as if I were in a fairytale or a land of hobbits. I Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Jan 31, 2013
- Otavalo CharmToday we went back and bargained some more. It turns out we didn't make out so badly yesterday, not so badly as we could have.
We have only been in Otavalo so far, but already I can see Ecuador's charm. Its Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Jan 29, 2013
- BargainingI think you will not soon forget this day, the day of our 5-hour long "discussion" of my (as you will remember, this emphasis is important) bargaining failure. Of course now Chris sits snug beneath his new alpaca blanket and Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Jan 28, 2013
- Sleepy on BusesEcuador is not much different from Colombia, as far as we can tell so far. Maybe a stronger indigenous presence and culture. Men with hair in a long braid, traditional dress.
I can't keep awake on the buses anymore. In moments Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Jan 27, 2013