- Grouchy in CuencaFeeling sick and grouchy. Spent the whole day in bed or thereabouts. Ventured out for lunch and to check pharmacies for motion sickness medication for the cruise. What a troublesome thing, this cruise. Haven't seen much of Cuenca but also Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 8, 2013
- Some Misc. Notes from the Road1. Don't forget to throw the toilet paper into the trash can not the toilet.
Even though I practiced this during the years I lived in Mexico and during my many travels to other parts of the world, I still Posted by jaytravels in The Foreigner | Mar 7, 2013
- Equator.. Ecuator.. Ecuador!Originally I didn't have any plans to stay in Ecuador. I just had 2 extra days and wanted to get away from Colombia as soon as I could (see last post). I was going to hike at 4000m later (that's Posted by btang in Blitzing Around the World | Mar 5, 2013
- bus to la celva.....Been sitting on the bus for four hours now traveling West from Cuenca, to la celba/celva, never sure if it’s a b or v so I just sort of whisper both and it works. I have never been good at Posted by sophhear in Viva the pirate child | Mar 3, 2013
- These songs of freedomHola chicos,
This weekend was a bit of an adventure. We have three new volunteers, Kate and Josh, and Pavan, all from the UK, and it is really nice to get some new blood out on the farm. Friday night we Posted by milaina14 in Ecuador 2013 | Mar 3, 2013
- The Galapagos Better Be Worth ItEvery night there is some Ecuadorian equivalent of bad karaoke going on in the hotel or right outside of it. Drunk-sounding men. Not so loud that you would ever dream of complaining but with that rising-in-volume quality that lifts you Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 7, 2013
- Sleep!I'm in bed now. The sheets are clean and white, and we have nothing in particular planned tomorrow. It feels delicious. Though I slept for about half our 7-hour bus ride, I'm about to keel over. That feels delicious, too.
Cuenca. Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 6, 2013
- LatacungaAfter the rain, the sunshine feels strange. You walk about in a daze, uncertain of what you're seeing and squinting from the brightness. Everywhere the signs of rain remain, but already you see the ground beginning to dry.
Today we saw Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 5, 2013
- Quilotoa Loop: Day 3It's 5 o' clock, so there are still two more hours before dinner. We lie huddled together for warmth beneath three wool blankets and a coverlet of the kind you see in a gift store of a failing mall--a wide, Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 2, 2013
- Quilotoa Loop: Day 2Nothing but the sound of muted footsteps, shuffling over a grass-softened path. A valley reminds you of every other valley you've ever been in, and they are all pleasant memories. Sheer limestone cliffs. Rocky ridges of odd, untamed shapes. Have Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Feb 1, 2013
- Quilotoa Loop: Day 1A river not so much cutting through steep valleys as tumbling. A tamed, pastoral river, barely more than a creek. I was somehow enchanted by it, felt as if I were in a fairytale or a land of hobbits. I Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Jan 31, 2013
- Otavalo CharmToday we went back and bargained some more. It turns out we didn't make out so badly yesterday, not so badly as we could have.
We have only been in Otavalo so far, but already I can see Ecuador's charm. Its Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Jan 29, 2013
- BargainingI think you will not soon forget this day, the day of our 5-hour long "discussion" of my (as you will remember, this emphasis is important) bargaining failure. Of course now Chris sits snug beneath his new alpaca blanket and Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Jan 28, 2013
- Sleepy on BusesEcuador is not much different from Colombia, as far as we can tell so far. Maybe a stronger indigenous presence and culture. Men with hair in a long braid, traditional dress.
I can't keep awake on the buses anymore. In moments Posted by chschen in Teenie Travels | Jan 27, 2013
- Surf´s upHola Guapos!
I´m in Bahia today for the anniversary of the formation of the Eco-ciudad. It´s not really an "eco-city" in my opinion, but it´s South America´s attempt at it, which is better than nothing. They recycle, which is so rare, Posted by milaina14 in Ecuador 2013 | Feb 22, 2013
- Quito & Banos...Quito:
The beautiful capital city of Ecuador sits high up in the Andes at a mere 2850m. The picturesque old town is a Unesco world heritage site, a perfect blend of Spanish and indigenous architecture, its plaza's, churches and buildings Posted by South.America in Ecuador | Feb 10, 2013
- Leap and the net will appearJanuary 1, 2013. First day of the year, first day of an adventure that 2013 promises to be. Walked by an algae-covered salt lake, a black iguana, and many ugly cactus, to arrive at a tear in the earth: [[http://www.galapagosislands.com/blog/visitor-point- Posted by Goofy9 in May The Blog Be with You | Jan 1, 2013
- La Vida LocaHola!
What to say about this past week.. Life on a farm was pretty tranquil. I took on the nursery beds as my pet project, and weeded all of it. Now the baby lime, cacoa, coffee, papaya, Posted by milaina14 in Ecuador 2013 | Feb 16, 2013
- Cuenca --> GuayaquilIt was our last day of Spanish classes, and our last day in Cuenca. Our last almuerzo with the family was a gustatory delight! We've eaten very well here. We said almost-tearful goodbyes to the people in Posted by camner in Latin America 2013 | Feb 8, 2013
- Last full day in CuencaAs we walked around Cuenca in our last full day in the city, we were feeling a bit sad. We’ve gotten to know the part of the city nearby our house and school over the last three weeks. Posted by camner in Latin America 2013 | Feb 8, 2013
- Vamos a la finca!Hola chicos!
Life is beautiful here. Last week I took the overnight bus to Canoa, and have loved every moment since. Canoa is a tiny surfer town in central Ecuador, comprised solely of hostels, restaurants, bakeries, corner stores, and homes for Posted by milaina14 in Ecuador 2013 | Feb 8, 2013
- The last week in Cuenca begins...Monday it rained on us for the first time in our travels. We didn’t get too wet since we only had to make the ten-minute walk home from school. It has rained before – several times during our Posted by camner in Latin America 2013 | Feb 6, 2013
- Past few days...So this is going to be fairly/completely an informal post, more just a list of things that have happened over the past few days.
At this point I am completely TOTALLY hating now my Spanish teacher who literally hates me...she Posted by sophhear in Viva the pirate child | Feb 6, 2013
- Saraguro Despite the fact that Kristen and I left the house only yesterday...it feels like I have been to another country and back...in other words we are outrageously exhausted and thankful to be back here in Cuenca. We awoke late, a Posted by sophhear in Viva the pirate child | Feb 3, 2013
- ¡Cuy!We took the plunge today. We have now entered the ranks of those who eat small, cute, furry mammals. Our house-host María suggested Tres Estrellas (Three Stars) as the best restaurant nearby to get cuy, and made reservations Posted by camner in Latin America 2013 | Feb 3, 2013