- Quito, Ecuador - Wednesday, 18 March 2015We had a pretty good night's sleep and awoke to cold, fog and rain. Very disappointing as we were hoping to have a view of the mountains surrounding Quito. We went down for breakfast to a lovely room Posted by gaddingabout in Chilean Fjords Luxury Expedition Cruise | Mar 19, 2015
- Swimming with the SharksOur Canadian home overlooks the ocean and we often enthuse about the aquatic life we view from our windows. But here, in the warm equatorial waters surrounding the Galapagos islands, a few hundred seals and sea lions, or an occasional Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Mar 18, 2015
- Pretty PosersWe haven’t posed a conundrum for awhile so here’s today’s question. Where on earth are we now?
The beach babes here are so hot that ancient mariners once thought they were mermaids. T Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Mar 16, 2015
- The Snows of CotopaxiCotopaxi in Ecuador is the world’s highest active volcano at nearly 20,000 feet and its permanently snow capped peak is rarely glimpsed through the persistent clouds. But we were lucky…
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/171352/large_CFDC23CD03FD32D8 Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Mar 13, 2015
- On the Other Side of The AndesFrom the summit of Cajas National Park at 13,000 feet it’s downhill all the way to the Pacific coastal plain and after a week of constantly climbing into the high Andes we were expecting an easy run with spectacular views. Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Mar 12, 2015
- The Glory of it AllTruly, our life here is glorious. On Friday Oscar took me to "El Barquito" (the little ship), the private beach in Rosario, a community nearby. Don't ask me why it's called that. Maybe it has something to do with the Posted by milaina14 in Ecuador 2013 | Mar 12, 2015
- Embracing La Vida de Los CampesinosAs I write this, my house is filled with the smell of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I can safely say without a shadow of a doubt that I am the only person for miles to have ever made oatmeal chocolate Posted by milaina14 in Ecuador 2013 | Mar 12, 2015
- Nearing Death in CuencaFor the past five years Ecuador has been rated as the world’s best place for retirement and now we are here we can see why. Cuenca is the Ecuadorean city chosen by most ex-pats in their golden years. The Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Mar 11, 2015
- Stop Me and Buy One in CuencaWhile most Ecuadorians seem to be quite well heeled many earn a meagre living as street traders. There are, of course, numerous markets where women in traditional dress sell all manner of goods as they have done for generations. But Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Mar 8, 2015
- Our View of the AndesThe Andes stretch the full length of South America and we have yet to reach the higher elevations. However, for the past few days we’ve been on a rollercoaster ride through some spectacular mountain scenery. Unfortunately, photographs simply fail to Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Mar 7, 2015
- Tungurahua - Lost in the Clouds?Following our lonely ‘expedition’ deep into the Amazon jungle we have climbed a tortuous route back into the high Andes and we realise that anyone reading this sentence might think that our travels are both dangerous and exhausting. Nothing could Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Mar 5, 2015
- Amazing AmazoniaOnce the the road from Quito has crested the 13,000 ft summit of Papallacta Pass it barely pauses for breath as it snakes down the precipitous eastern face of the Andes to the steamy jungles of Amazonia. The three hour Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Mar 3, 2015
- Equador and into Colombia!In the morning we all brought our bags down and lined up expectantly outside Moose, our home for the next few months. The sun shone for the first time in days, (yep a perfect time to go up the volcano Posted by DanAndBells in Adventures with Danny & Bells | Mar 2, 2015
- Equador - QuitoAfter the beauty of the Galapagos we found ourselves, once more, in the drizzly, altitude challenged, city of Quito.
Determined to perk ourselves up, we Posted by DanAndBells in Adventures with Danny & Bells | Mar 2, 2015
- Quito in the Sun
Quito is the highest capital in the world and, although its suburbs actually brush the equator, it occasionally gets a powdering of snow. None of the white stuff for us though. D Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Feb 28, 2015
- GalapagosWe spent Valentine's day and our six month anniversary on the "love boat" Encantada to jumpstart our 10-day boat trip. We toured islands including Baltra, Santa Cruz, Genovesa, Santiago, Bartolome, North Seymour, Daphne, Rabida, Isabela, and Fernandina. Posted by Alenari in Alena and Ari's Honeymoon Extravaganza | Feb 25, 2015
- Hiking & Scenery on the Galapagos As we mentioned earlier each day we had a number of choices in terms of the guided activities that we could undertake. It is hard to say what our favourite activity was but hiking around the various islands was up Posted by DavidandHazel in Glorious Galapagos & Machu Picchu | Feb 24, 2015
- Ecuador At Last Where to start? I suppose the best place to start is always the beginning, but it feels so far behind us already. The night we arrived at Oscar's parents' house here in Rio Muchacho I Posted by milaina14 in Ecuador 2013 | Feb 24, 2015
- In The OceanAlthough our technology was fairly limited we did have a basic underwater camera with us, an Olympus mid level quality point and shoot that we purchased in St. Thomas three years ago on a previous voyage when we expected to Posted by DavidandHazel in Glorious Galapagos & Machu Picchu | Feb 23, 2015
- More Wildlife in the GalapagosHere is another post featuring the wildlife that we got to see in the Galapagos.
[i]A fine example of the Swallow-tailed Gull which is endemic to the Galapagos Islands. This gull is uni Posted by DavidandHazel in Glorious Galapagos & Machu Picchu | Feb 23, 2015
- The Wildlife in The Galapagos IslandsFor this section of the blog we thought that rather than describing our daily activities it might be more interesting if we just did a pictorial of the wildlife and limited our narrative to the picture descriptions. We hope you Posted by DavidandHazel in Glorious Galapagos & Machu Picchu | Feb 22, 2015
- Daily Life on the XpeditionLife on board the Xpedition follows a well-organized pattern. Each day we have an off-ship morning expedition with 2 options to select from, one fairly strenuous activity and one less strenuous activity. Everyone selects their choice of activity the night Posted by DavidandHazel in Glorious Galapagos & Machu Picchu | Feb 18, 2015
- Galapagos IslandsSunday
We were up bright and early (6:00 am) again on Sunday for a quick buffet breakfast at the hotel and boarded our charter buses for the 45 minute ride down the mountain to the 5000 foot level and the new Posted by DavidandHazel in Glorious Galapagos & Machu Picchu | Feb 17, 2015
- On Our Way and the City of QuitoSpecial Note: Due to issues with the ship’s satellite system we were off the grid for our first week. Once back on the mainland we continued to experience technical issues. The most significant issue was the instability of the Wi Posted by DavidandHazel in Glorious Galapagos & Machu Picchu | Feb 17, 2015
- Quick updateWe began this post about seven hours before boarding a taxi to the Quito airport, and finished it at the airport heading to the Galapagos Islands! We are extremely excited, but travel preparations required us to keep this brief.
In Posted by Alenari in Alena and Ari's Honeymoon Extravaganza | Feb 13, 2015