- Only in Africa.....Both of my Ethiopian guides used this phrase time and time again to explain well really the unexplainable
-In my hotel room in Lalibela the toilet was on one side of the bathroom and the toilet Posted by adtamo in The Wheary Travellers | Mar 28, 2015
- They work hard for the moneyFlight back to Addis was not until noon so I used my morning to go for a walk around Lalibela. Earl in the day is the best time to watch the local people go about their lives before they seek Posted by adtamo in The Wheary Travellers | Mar 27, 2015
- Ethiopian Rules FootballAn impressive lightning and thunder show rolled through Lalibela overnight but I awoke to a perfect morning. Today we drove 40 km on some of the roughest road I have ever experienced to visit the Yemrehanna Krestos church. The Posted by adtamo in The Wheary Travellers | Mar 26, 2015
- Rock hewn churches of LalibelaAn early rise this morning was made harder after a restless night, it seems I'm still on Australian time. Back to the airport for the short flight to Lalibela. in a twin propellor Q400 bombardier.
At Lalibela I was greeted Posted by adtamo in The Wheary Travellers | Mar 25, 2015
- From Melbourne to Addis AbabaWell that was a long journey, 27 hours had elapsed from when entered Melbourne airport to when I exited the airport in Addis Ababa. But the flights were not all bad. I was fortunate enough to get a business class Posted by adtamo in The Wheary Travellers | Mar 24, 2015
- ETHIOPIA BLOG 5/5 (FINALE)
At the end of our Simiens Mountains trek on Day 4, we were picked up from Chenek camp by a van which was to take us off the mountain and back to civilization. As the dusty streets of Deb Posted by genowers in Genowers Are Off Again | Nov 16, 2014
- ETHIOPIA BLOG 4/5
On our flight from Mekele to Addis Ababa, I was sorting out our backpack when I realized our camera was missing. After all of the other passengers had disembarked Posted by genowers in Genowers Are Off Again | Nov 16, 2014
- ETHIOPIA BLOG 3/5
The highlight of Day 4 of the Danail Depression trip was visiting the amazing hydrothermal salt deposits at the Dallol Posted by genowers in Genowers Are Off Again | Oct 28, 2014
- ETHIOPIA BLOG 2/5
The highlight of our trip was destined to be the four-day 4x4 off-road adventure to the Danakil Depression, the otherworldly geological landscape in the embattled border region between Posted by genowers in Genowers Are Off Again | Oct 27, 2014
- LalibelaLast weekend we went to Lalibela on our last Ethiopian road trip. We got a bus south for ten hours through beautiful scenery with a group of other Irish and Slovakian volunteers. Lalibela is famous for it’s rock hewn churches. Posted by Ethiopia 2014 in Life In Ethiopia | Jul 20, 2014
- Final two weeksThe final two weeks on Mbusa were a little mad. The other doctor who works in paediatrics has gone away for a month’s holiday and so it has mainly been Geoffrey, the Licentiate, and me on the ward. This has Posted by DrHannah in Dr Hannah in Zambia | Jul 16, 2014
- Danakil DepressionWe went on a trip last week to visit a place called the Danakil depression in the Afar region to the east of here. It’s famous for being the hottest place in the world. We also stupidly picked the hottest Posted by Ethiopia 2014 in Life In Ethiopia | Jun 28, 2014
- Out and About in MekelleTurning 30 (or should I say 23) in Ethiopia was a strange experience. Celebrating your birthday in Ethiopia is not really the done thing – families celebrate a child’s birthday at age 5 years and then generally not after that. Posted by Ethiopia 2014 in Life In Ethiopia | Jun 16, 2014
- Addis Ababa, EthiopiaWe had initially planned a more extended stay in Ethiopia to see the 13th century monolithic rock-cut churches in Lalibela, the magnificent landscapes of the Danakil depression and the active Erta Ale volcano. I was actually very excited to see Posted by gregandissy in There and back again | Jun 7, 2014
- MekelleWe’ve been back in Mekelle for 7 weeks now and are settling into life here. The weather has been getting hotter so looking forward to the rainy season which starts in June. We’re becoming a bit more “habesha” (local), we’ve Posted by Ethiopia 2014 in Life In Ethiopia | Apr 29, 2014
- Our Route to Alitena Posted by Ethiopia 2014 in Life In Ethiopia | Feb 14, 2014
- Our first week13/02/14
So after a few delays we arrived in Mekelle on Saturday. We flew Dublin to Heathrow and then on to Addis Ababa. Our flight on to Mekelle was delayed by a few hours and we ended up stopping at two Posted by Ethiopia 2014 in Life In Ethiopia | Feb 14, 2014
- Naar Addis Ababa20 september. Marsabit, Kenia
Marsabit ligt halverwege de horror Moyale (grensplaats Ethiopie/Kenia)-Isiolo weg. 500 Km over de Trans Africa highway was 500 km over de slechtste weg van Afrika. Maar dat is niet meer zo! De helft van de eerste Posted by Jan-en-Anneke in Van Kaapstad naar Caïro en verder | Sep 29, 2013
- Lalibela HudadYared told us he had organised a mule ride to 'the lodge' which was lovely and overlooked the town of Lalibela. Tia would ride and we would walk.
It sounded great so we used the hotel WiFi to Google some info Posted by tia-saz-fitz in Tia's terrific travels | Jun 21, 2013
- Life in EthiopiaToday we went to the Hilton to let Tia have a swim and to use the WiFi to write some blog.
We stayed at the Hilton 8 years ago when we came to collect Tia so have fond memories of it.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/587133/large_6CB2E3C42219AC6 Posted by tia-saz-fitz in Tia's terrific travels | Jun 4, 2013
- Axum and its obelisksAfter a great flight in an almost empty Ethiopian Airlines Dash 8 Q400 we landed in Axum which is right up near the Eritrean border - a trip made all the more exciting knowing that Ethiopia and Eritrea are not Posted by tia-saz-fitz in Tia's terrific travels | Jun 24, 2013
- Graduation partyOur hosts invited us to the university graduation party of their cousin at a house behind the Norwegian Embassy in a district full of gigantic and beautiful diplomatic compounds.
Apparently the biggest and most impressive in Addis is that of the Posted by tia-saz-fitz in Tia's terrific travels | Jun 28, 2013
- Farewell to Family & Ethiopia !Our last day was hectic !
We collected Tia's Mum and sister and visited the relative who took Tia to the orphanage.
We had met him 8 years ago and it was great to meet his family.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/587133/large_538DBBCB2219AC68 Posted by tia-saz-fitz in Tia's terrific travels | Jun 30, 2013
- Lalibela street kids' homeWorld Families Australia purchased a small house in Lalibela to help some of the 1500 shockingly young homeless kids who eke out a living on the streets, mainly as shoe shiners.
15 boys and girls share the small house, have a Posted by tia-saz-fitz in Tia's terrific travels | Jun 21, 2013
- Lalibela and its churchesWe flew from Gondar to Lalibela and had a crazy bus ride up the mountain to the town expecting all our luggage to fall off the roof any second !
Constructed by Posted by tia-saz-fitz in Tia's terrific travels | Jun 20, 2013