- Following in the Footsteps of my AncestorsIn the 1860s my great x 3 grandfather August Grandell took a ship from Abo (which is now more common ally known as Turku, Finland) he got to Australia and jumped ship.
In 2014 Mum & me took the overnight Posted by ChristieA in CarCar's on the Road . . . . . Again! | Jul 29, 2014
- Footsore in Turku, FinlandThis morning we said goodbye to the beautiful Tampere and jumped on a train headed to Turku.
Then we walked & walked & climbed stairs & took a wrong turn & walked but somehow we made it to destination number one Posted by ChristieA in CarCar's on the Road . . . . . Again! | Jul 27, 2014
- A Summer Place in TampereOther than attend Hanna & Dave's wedding we have explored some of Tampere, we were lucky to be treated to a city bus tour by Hanna & Dave yesterday while they had photos it was a great way to see Posted by ChristieA in CarCar's on the Road . . . . . Again! | Jul 26, 2014
- A Finnish Wedding in TampereYesterday was the wedding of good friends Hanna & Dave in Tampere, Finland
The weather was perfect....hot & humid
We started in the Old Church where the ceremony was in both Finnish & English, some aspects were the same as an Australian Posted by ChristieA in CarCar's on the Road . . . . . Again! | Jul 26, 2014
- A Day of RestToday we had a rest day, ok truth we were travelling most of the day. We took the train from Rovaniemi to Tampere with a little stretch on a bus due to rail works. It was nice just Posted by ChristieA in CarCar's on the Road . . . . . Again! | Jul 24, 2014
- Melting in the Artic CircleSpending the night on the train was a new experience if it hadn't been for what felt like constant stopping I would have slept well. We were lucky enough to check into our hotel when we arrived at like Posted by ChristieA in CarCar's on the Road . . . . . Again! | Jul 23, 2014
- Cultural Eating in HelsinkiOur day in Helsinki.....in pictures
A visit to the Lutheran Cathedral in Senate Square
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/660953/B6CE947D2219AC6817B5A7870C371E Posted by ChristieA in CarCar's on the Road . . . . . Again! | Jul 22, 2014
- We get back to terra firma.....So another bumpy flight not good when your hungry and the dinner service gets stopped twice but got there in the end. I wanted hot weather I got hot weather! We started in the market where we picked up Posted by ChristieA in CarCar's on the Road . . . . . Again! | Jul 21, 2014
- Days 81-88: Turku, FinlandEnded up waiting about 1.5hr when I was hitching, but one guy drove me part way there, and another guy finished the job. Freaking sunny. I couldn't believe how warm and sunny it was here. But after Posted by ErnieLG in Destination Unknown | Jul 10, 2014
- Days 79-80: Tampere, FinlandHitch-hiked to the next town. A cool guy who gave me a lift. Trying to get a ride, it's a little disheartening at first that not everyone smiles back at you, since the Finns are so... Polite. Posted by ErnieLG in Destination Unknown | Jul 10, 2014
- Days 73-78: Jyväskylä, Finland After a good 30 hours in transit, I finally made it to Helsinki where Anni was waiting for me. Then onto another train for a few hours to see Raisa. We got to hang out for a few Posted by ErnieLG in Destination Unknown | Jul 10, 2014
- Monday, 30th June (Ilona)The ship reached the dock at Helsinki, Finland at about 11:30am. So we spent a leisurely morning eating breakfast at the buffet restaurant. After meeting our guide, Hannah, for our "Tracks are Green" tour, we set off to explore Posted by riteoh in UK & Baltic 2014 | Jul 6, 2014
- Helsinki and EstoniaHopefully some of you out there noticed that I had a little hiatus with these blogs for the past month and a half. I have been back in the states for that time. Originally this break was only going to Posted by danza in There and back again | Jun 17, 2014
- Planning continuesToday continue booking from Oslo with Arja.
Posted by ezabetta in Sweden - Denmark - Norway | May 12, 2014
- PlanningPlanning has started, including paperwork, first bookings, and choise of planning and blogging software.
Posted by ezabetta in Sweden - Denmark - Norway | May 12, 2014
- FINE TOUR OF HELSINKI, FINLANDWe gained an hour of sleep last night and this morning's tour started at a reasonable time, so we headed out for our Helsinki tour well rested.
The tour we chose was scheduled for just a half day. It took us Posted by jeburns55 in Baltic Cruise 2010 | Sep 1, 2010
This morning was a lazy one. L and I decided to sleep in after staying the night before to catch the spectacular display of the aurora borealis. If it were not for L's brilliant research Posted by starcrossedsole in oywiththepoodlesalready | Apr 8, 2014
- The FinaleWords be damned.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/661436/large_A753 Posted by starcrossedsole in oywiththepoodlesalready | Apr 7, 2014
- Sami and Stranded. Almost.
how cute are the bus stops?
Day of rest.
And that was what we did.
L and I slept in because today was going to be a chill day. We were going to learn about Posted by starcrossedsole in oywiththepoodlesalready | Apr 4, 2014
- Mutse the Nosy Reindeer
The morning started earlier today because we booked the 0930 reindeer safari and it takes us about an hour and a half to get to Saariselka. Left the lodge at about 0700 to walk out to th Posted by starcrossedsole in oywiththepoodlesalready | Apr 3, 2014
- Hello Aurora. My Name Is Estella
I have lived tonight. Like if I were to die tonight, I'd die a woman in bliss. The Northern Lights were just all kinds of stunning and so much more. Pictures don't do it enough justice. Posted by starcrossedsole in oywiththepoodlesalready | Mar 28, 2014
- Huskies and A Whole Lot Of Hitchhiking
The morning started at around 1000. Had booked a 1200 husky safari at the wild spirit park with Ritta so we were due to leave the lodge at 1145. I'm so glad I bought the scones and L bro Posted by starcrossedsole in oywiththepoodlesalready | Mar 28, 2014
- Small Town. Starry-eyed.
In Helsinki airport, I have arrived. It wasn't as long a journey as I expected. And it was a pleasant one because the air stewardess and air steward were just so attentive to my needs. I Posted by starcrossedsole in oywiththepoodlesalready | Mar 27, 2014
- A Proper Winter
I'm finally going to have a proper winter. It's been raining for the past few weeks in Sheffield and it's been touted as one of the (if not, the) wettest winters Posted by starcrossedsole in oywiththepoodlesalready | Mar 26, 2014
- TurkuSyksyinen piipahdus Turussa.
Edellisestä käynnistä Turun linnasta on aika monta vuotta. Linnalta keskustaan päin Aurajoen rantaa kävellessä olivat näkymät kohdallaan.
Kulttuuri ja ruokatarjonta olivat erittäin kiitettäviä. Tämän kerran hienoin homma Posted by vilmalotta in Levoton sielu | Nov 18, 2013