- Weil am Rhein: Burefasnet One Week Later Than Everyone Else
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/871166/IMG_38301.jpg thumb= Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Feb 9, 2017
- Konstanz: The Cutest Jester Policeman
Many jester guilds have a policeman or bailiff as a persiflage on state authorities who is in charge of law and order, the jester version of law and order of course. The one in Konstanz is, Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Feb 9, 2017
- Freiburg im Breisgau: 35 Guilds and Counting
Freiburg hast he biggest and most varied parade in the whole of Baden-Württemberg. The city itself is home to 35 (thirty-five) jester guilds, called Narrennester. All of them organize Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Feb 8, 2017
- Haslach: Walking Wine Barrels
I visited Haslach on a Sunday in late January, a couple of weeks before the High Days. The tree was already up in the square. People in strange dress assembled around food and drink stalls Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Feb 6, 2017
- Wolfach: A Lovestory from the Black Forest
[float=left][/float]Wolfach’s Fastnacht involves an open-air theatre perf Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Feb 5, 2017
- Oberwinden: Village Fasnet with a Big Bang
The village of Oberwinden in the Elz valley is one of many nice villages in the Black Forest that won't be described in Rick Steves and other Five-Star-Sights-Only touris Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Feb 5, 2017
- Singen: Hairy Bears
Singen am Hohentwiel is known for three things:[float=right][img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/871166/Hohentwiel2.jpg thumb=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/ Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Feb 5, 2017
- Zell am Harmersbach: Snails, Playing Cards, Corn Leaves
Coloured paper, cards, corn leaves or snail shells - can you imagine that these are used to make suits and hats? Of course people don't dress like this all year round. Only for three days per Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Feb 4, 2017
- Gengenbach: Witches, Spättlehansel, Klepperle and Lumbehund
Gengenbach's carnival called „Fasend“, not „Fasnet“ as in most of the Black Forest and beyond. Tradition dates back to an event of the year 1499, when some citizens of the town decorated a big r Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Feb 4, 2017
- Trains, Planes & AutomobilesMy first trip to Bavaria in 2017.
Remarkably, all the travel went according to plan!
This trip involved 2 cars, a bus, a plane and 2 trains. It gave plenty of scope for problems.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/871145/large_223858067974 Posted by IainT in Here, and Sometimes There | Feb 4, 2017
- Various Organizational UpdatesSo I have many updates - which is good, because it is less than 3 days until I will leave for Tokyo!
The collegue organizing my stay in Tokyo is worried about me being overwhelmed by the city and all Posted by Toni_goes_Japan in Toni goes Japan | Feb 1, 2017
- Schramberg, Bach-na-Fahre: Are They All Crazy???
Yes, Schrambergers are all crazy, judging from the event this town is most famous for. Schramberg is The Hometown of Bach-na-Fahre.
Schramberg is an innocent-looking small town in t Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 29, 2017
- Villingen: One of the Oldest, and Unique
The Narrozunft (carnival guild) in Villingen dates its foundation to the year 1584. This makes Villingen one of the traditional centres of the alemannic Fastnacht or, i Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 29, 2017
- Oberndorf: The Most Nourishing Parade
Oberndorf is a small town in the upper Neckar valley, situated between Horb and Rottweil, which is known for two things: the gun factory Mauser, and its Fastnacht (carnival) traditions. I ha Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 28, 2017
- Überlingen: Hänsele Dance and Whip Cracking
Überlingen is one of the centres of the Alemannic Fastnacht, the regional variety of carnival. These activities date back to the 15th century. Carnival feasts were first mentioned in 1474, in Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 28, 2017
- Elzach: Beware of the Schuttig
The small town of Elzach at the far end of the Elz valley is famous for its ancient carnival traditions. Here you can watch the alemannic Fastnacht at its best, and scariest. Elzach is Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 28, 2017
- Rottweil: The Capital of Alemannic Fastnacht
If there's any alemannic Fastnacht that's widely known and even shown live on TV, it's the Narrensprung in Rottweil in the morning of carnival Monday. Rottweil's fame is justified. So far Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 28, 2017
- ViererbundFour of the five oldest, proudest and most traditional Narrenzünfte in Baden-Württemberg have associated in the 1950s and formed the so-called Viererbund, the Alliance of the Four.
[b]The Viererbund members are: Rottweil, Elzach, Oberndorf, and Überlin Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 28, 2017
- Guggemusik Bands
Guggemusik originates in the Swiss carnival but has become more and more popular in the South West of Germany, too. There are quite a number of these funny bands in the weirdest costumes in ma Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 28, 2017
- Great cities of Central Europe: Western BavariaWhen planning our trip I'd debated whether to stop for a night in Passau or Regensburg on the way back to Munich from Prague. At some point I realized I had an extra day in the itinerary due to having Posted by zzlangerhans in Babies in backpacks | Jan 23, 2017
Witches take part in about every parade. They are essential and traditional figures in the Alemannic Fastnacht.
Or are they?
[i]Witc Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 23, 2017
- Narresome: Children in the Fastnacht Guilds Villinger Stachi junior
Baby Hänsele in Überlingen
Children in the Fastnacht are known as "Narresome" Posted by Kathrin_E in Alemannic Fastnacht | Jan 23, 2017
- Day 2 (19 Jan)As mentioned yesterday, extended pit stop to see what the capital city of Mecklenburg-Vorpommeren has to show for.
I had a long walk this morning around the place. Yes, there is snow now!
Posted by moustache17 in Northern Trip | Jan 19, 2017
- Day 1 (18 Jan)That is what one does most on a road trip...
First stretch of some 800Km from the home village to Schwerin.
Schwerin is some 100Km past Hamburg and happens to be the capital city of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Picked this place for Posted by moustache17 in Northern Trip | Jan 19, 2017
- Apartment - check!===So I got the link to my new apartment!! ===
As you can see in t Posted by Toni_goes_Japan in Toni goes Japan | Jan 16, 2017