- Around IcelandWe arrived this morning at the end of a beautiful fjord at the second largest city in Iceland, Akureyri.
The Norse Viking Helgi magri (the slim) Eyvindarson originally settled the area in the 9th century. The first mention of Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC | Jul 26, 2016
- Around IcelandAfter sailing all day in the drizzle and fog, we arrived at Sedisfjordur, a small town of about 700 folks at about 5:00pm. The highlight of the evening was an included event of Iceland folk songs at the "Blue Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC | Jul 25, 2016
- Around IcelandOur first stop was Haimaey Island - one of the Westmans Islands. On the way we were able to watch a pod of Orka's feed:
[ Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC | Jul 23, 2016
- Around IcelandAfter a short night at the Hilton Nordica (I didn't get into the hotel until 1:30am local time - they are on the same time as London), we hailed a taxi and headed a short distance to the pier, located Posted by rpickett in Rusty Pickett, ECC | Jul 23, 2016
- The Kjolur RouteToday I let the professionals do the driving over the "highlands" of Iceland. Essentially, the highlands are everything other than the coast, coastal valleys, and fjords. Volcanoes and glaciers rule, in that order, and massive waterfalls mark the landscap Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 20, 2016
- Arbaer Open Air Museum in Reykjavik[float=left][/float]I reluctantly left my oceanside retreat in Borgarnes, after sleeping in for two mornings and enjoying the best peace and quiet of the entire trip. In preparation for returning my rental vehicle and getting back on the road with public Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 17, 2016
- BorgarnesThere is a "Settlement Exhibition" here in Borgarnes, the focus of the initial settlement of Iceland by the Norse around 1000 AD. They did a great job on the exhibit to the point where I could actually understand a bit Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 16, 2016
- Entering Into and Emerging from the WestfjordsThis blog entry covers two separate travel days here in Iceland. One day westbound from the town of Aykureri to Isafjorder, and the other southbound from Isafjorder to Borgarnes.
The road heading out to Isafjorder was pretty darn Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 16, 2016
- Hornstraindir Nature PreserveThis was a day I had been looking forward to for months, and it turned out to be just as great as I had hoped. For several reasons, I was almost unable to get a space on the tour but, Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 15, 2016
- Akureyri"Akureyri is the centre of culture, education and leisure activities in North Iceland. With a population of about 17.200, the town is by far the largest outside the Reykjavík capital area."
I spent an most of the day walking around this Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 15, 2016
- Lake Myvatn and Nearby WaterfallsI buzzed out of Eskafjorder this morning, and made haste to the "hot" Lake Myvatn. Fortunately, I passed a sign saying "Dettifoss", a place which had on been on my "must visit" list. Yet the amount of time I'd have Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 13, 2016
- Weaving In and Out of FjordsToday was all about fjords and the less populated portion of Iceland. Fjords on the eastern side of the country are classic, with their steep sides and long tongues (can fjords have tongues?). In many ways, it was like driving Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 13, 2016
- Moving Past the GlaciersThis day was spent simply poking along the coastline between Vik and Hofn. Of course, I didn't get far before ending up a the nearest beaches and headlands. The Black Sand Beach had black sand, like every other beach nearby, Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 13, 2016
- WowI spent all day on a great tour of the Lakagaiger ("Laki") volcanic area of southern Iceland. I'd read about it extensively before this visit, and the human history is as fascinating as the geological story.
"The Laki crater is Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 8, 2016
- Transitioning Back to the MainlandAfter sleeping in yet one more morning, I continued to wander about the community of Heimaey by taking a stroll by the Volcano Museum (really only a large new building built around one of the homes that was burned and Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 8, 2016
- Magical Day in the Westmann IslandsIn Heimaey, the one-and-only town on the one-and-only Westmann island with human habitation, there just weren't enough hours in the day to see everything. I spent two nights in a guesthouse in the town, and had the great fortune to Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 7, 2016
- Landmannalaugar the BeautifulToday was a very long day but well worth the effort! It was the big trip to Landamannalaugar, a spectacularly beautiful spot in the backcountry of southwestern Iceland. I drove down the highway, parked my vehicle at a local grocery Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 7, 2016
- The Golden CircleYes, I am a day behind in the blog and trying to catch up after some very busy days of sightseeing. Two days ago (Monday the 4th of July) I finally rented a car and started my favorite type Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 6, 2016
- Afram Iceland! (Aa-fram Ees-laand)Today's highlights were a visit to Videy Island, and joining many of the Icelanders in watching the EURO 2016 Semi-Final "football" game between France and Iceland.
The game would have been held in Iceland but there are no facilities here Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 4, 2016
- Adjusting to ReykjavikI've been here 22 hours and, in that time, worked hard to adjust to Reykjavik--how to get around, who to ask when I have questions, and general orientation of the place.
First, however, I wanted to let you know that Posted by Windy West in Iceland 2016 | Jul 3, 2016
- Day 5: Goodbye Reykjavik, Hello AmsterdamToday was a travel day. The alarm went off around 8 and were awake by 9. I visited a local coffee shop with the goal of spending the 20lbs of change that we accumulated in Iceland. I Posted by sfyelton in Yelton Family's 2016 European Adventure | Jun 14, 2016
- Day 4: Reykjavik, IcelandThis morning we got up at a decent hour and Steven procured some delicious pastries from a nearby bakery. We then went on a (long) walk along the waterfront in Reykjavik. There we saw Iceland's opera house and lots of Posted by abbyyelton in Yelton Family's 2016 European Adventure | Jun 13, 2016
- Day 3: Reykjavik, IcelandWe were in bed by 3am, but sleep came slowly (this was just 11pm home time). The alarm buzzed at 8:10 and Abby was the first up. After a round of coffee and pulling kids out of bed Posted by sfyelton in Yelton Family's 2016 European Adventure | Jun 13, 2016
- Day 2: Reykjavik, IcelandWe're in Iceland! The 5.5 hour flight was uneventful. There were some parenting fails, but not by us. :) They also have the coolest safety video ever with a waterfall portraying the inflatable slide you may have to use Posted by abbyyelton in Yelton Family's 2016 European Adventure | Jun 11, 2016
- ReykjavikDay 1
Summer is the season of most passengers. In Reykjavik, the first destination is Downtown. It's the nucleus of Iceland's rich culture and arts supreme. Spend some time in Reykjavik, Reykjavik Posted by wangxuanyu in my dream trip around the world | May 26, 2016