- Oh whale...When you think of Iceland, you automatically think of snorkeling and scuba diving, right? Okay, probably not. However, snorkeling is an activity you can do in Iceland. Most people don't sign up for this adventure, so of course, we signed Posted by lsto90 in Get Out of Town | Sep 1, 2014
- Rotten shark for brunch, anyone?Kolaportid flea market is an indoor market opened every weekend. There are various stalls selling a variety of junk that no one needs. However, Icelanders informed us it was the cheapest place to buy hákarl, so we ventured to the Posted by lsto90 in Get Out of Town | Aug 31, 2014
- Lost in Iceland... AgainSaturday was a lazy day. We drove around the Snæfellsnes peninsula in the west, stopping to take a picture at Kirkjufell. Kirkjufell is one of the most famous mountains in Iceland due to its shape. Kirkjufell means church mountain since Posted by lsto90 in Get Out of Town | Aug 31, 2014
- A horse is a horse, of course, of course.
According to the always handy Wikipedia, "The Icelandic horse is a breed of horse from Iceland." Thank you, Captain Obvious. The Icelandic horse is a small one. In fact, it looks like a pony, but don't you dare tell an Posted by lsto90 in Get Out of Town | Aug 29, 2014
- Chasing more waterfalls. Skogar Hostel is ranked at the bottom of our accommodations list currently which is mainly due to the poor WiFi. The WiFi master informed Megan the connection was very weak. We are millennials. We don't do well without Internet. The Posted by lsto90 in Get Out of Town | Aug 28, 2014
- I can see Antarctica from my hostelAfter our day of glacier hiking, we felt like decrepit elderly people, and we voted to sleep in a bit to recover. We left our hostel around 9 am to explore Vik. Vik is the southernmost village in Iceland.
We Posted by lsto90 in Get Out of Town | Aug 27, 2014
- Fact: Iceland has ice.. Lots of it.Today was Erin's 24th birthday, and we started our day with a 1.5 hour drive west to Skaftafell through rain and sun and then more rain. Weather in Iceland is crazy.
We arrived on time for the Glacier Grand Slam Posted by lsto90 in Get Out of Town | Aug 26, 2014
- RAM-bunctious DayYesterday, we saw a tourism advertisement with the slogan, "get lost in Iceland." We took the tourism bureau's advice and accidentally got lost on our way out of Reykjavik.
Knowing we aren't Walter Mitty and able to navigate Iceland on a Posted by lsto90 in Get Out of Town | Aug 25, 2014
- Iceland will be a blast of volcanic proportionsOur dear friend Kelly drove Megan and me to the airport in enough time to eat a breakfast taco (all adventures begin with breakfast tacos) and get acquainted with the super friendly and helpful JetBlue staff. I have never flown Posted by lsto90 in Get Out of Town | Aug 24, 2014
- Iceland: Reykjavik: Last Day at the Blue LagoonWe have made the most of the 17 hours of daylight in this country and boy are we exhausted. We have burned the candle at ALL ends—not just both! Even though the Blue Lagoon is a classic Posted by Tony.Ruby in Ruby and Tony - Around the World | Aug 3, 2014
- Iceland: Glaciers, Puffins and More Glaciers! We headed straight for Jokulsaron this morning. The glacier lake is pretty amazing. There are icebergs floating around in a lake and every now and again if you’re lucky you’ll spot sea lions playfully poking their heads out of Posted by Tony.Ruby in Ruby and Tony - Around the World | Aug 2, 2014
- Iceland On the roadIf I thought the weather was cold before,parts of today were bitter and with the chill factor in the wind up in the highlands I'm sure it was zero or below. We intended to take the track Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 17, 2014
- The Blue LagoonIf there is just one famous place to experience in Iceland, they will tell you it is the Blue Lagoon.
Now, I am usually skeptical of the "famous tourist location" because invariably they are over-priced, over-sensationalised and generally, a bit Posted by fay_bee in Iceland 2014 | Aug 17, 2014
- 6 things to do in Reykavik
People always relate Iceland as cold, boring, and mysterious place in earth. True in certain extent that Iceland is cold (not as cold as you think) and mysterious due to the rich land f Posted by keithyuenck in KEXplorer - My World Trotting Journey | Aug 17, 2014
- Ice Climbing Iceland
Mountain climbing is like a life lesson... when you climb you need courage and strength with prudence of course! Step by step, one at a time you conquer each step to achieve greater heig Posted by keithyuenck in KEXplorer - My World Trotting Journey | Aug 16, 2014
- Lava Caving in Iceland
A great day out Lava Caving at Leiðarendi! Met new friends from Germany, 2 cool OZ boys and a nice Russian couple... small but really cool grp... not forgetting our superior Icelandic gui Posted by keithyuenck in KEXplorer - My World Trotting Journey | Aug 16, 2014
- Iceland Reyjavík
Today we had an easy day walking around Rekjavík for our last day. The weather was sunny with some cloud but still only 12ᵒC and a biting wind. As well as revisiting places like the Perlan, we walked to a Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 16, 2014
- Iceland On the roadWe started our day by driving to the coast through Selfoss and down to the little village of Stokkseyri. As we entered the village we heard a thud thud sound and sure enough we had a flat tyre. Amazingly we Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 16, 2014
- Iceland On the roadToday we were again fortunate to have a mainly sunny day although cool. We started the day by driving to a magnificent gorge with beautiful rock formations and waterfalls along the river Pjórádalur. We were driving along a dirt road Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 14, 2014
- Iceland On the roadToday was our first really sunny day and we were very fortunate to spend it driving through the highlands surrounded by the most wonderful scenery. We headed off from Kirkjubæjarklaustur, where we stayed, on a dirt road to the Vatnajӧkull Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 13, 2014
- Southern Iceland: Land of Rainbows and Waterfalls Eeeeewww!!! The hot water in our guesthouse smelled like sulphur. Try bathing in that?! Apparently this is common in Iceland but from here on out we were going to try and avoid this! We got on the Posted by Tony.Ruby in Ruby and Tony - Around the World | Aug 1, 2014
- Iceland On the road
Today we finally experienced some sunshine and a slightly warmer temperature. The sun shining on the glaciers was good for photographs. We left our magnificent hotel Fosshotel Vatnajӧkull Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 12, 2014
- Iceland On the road
Today we drove along the east coast going in and out of the fjords. The weather was overcast and the wind when you got out of the car to take photos just about blew you away. Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 11, 2014
- Iceland On the roadThe day stated without rain but soon clouded in to patchy rain. Once again the temperature was very cold about 7degrees max. We drove to our first waterfall- Godafoss small but attractive. O Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 10, 2014
- Wonderful West FjordsAnother morning, another Fokker 50. The beauty of adventure is never knowing what is going to happen.
On this Saturday morning, we arrived in Isafjodur, West Fjords' oldest trading post, nestled between two snow capped mountains. We were greeted Posted by fay_bee in Iceland 2014 | Aug 9, 2014