- The Land of Fire and Ice“Since life is short and the world is wide, the sooner you start exploring it, the better” Simon Raven
Easter 2015 was to be spent exploring Iceland, our first trip away since Posted by RoyandIngrid in World Wide Wanderers | Dec 23, 2014
- Dancing Across Night Sky: Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) Ok, I have been spelling our guide's name wrong. It is not Peter but rather Petur Valgeirsson.
As promised, I am including the Aurora Borealis that appeared during our trip that Peter photograhed with his camera. His camera is Posted by rraney in Icelandic Adventures | Oct 13, 2014
- Bill Clinton Lamb Hot Dogs and Lobster TailsWe spent our last day here in Iceland with a free day to explore Reykjavik on our own. We slept in until 11am and then leisurely strolled around town. We figured out the public bus system and took Posted by rraney in Icelandic Adventures | Oct 11, 2014
- Thingvellir National Park, Reykjavik & Position of the SunOne thing that I have noticed here is that the sun never reaches a "high noon" position of nearly 90 degrees in the sky. It doesn't go higher than a 25 -30 degree angle. This means that the Posted by rraney in Icelandic Adventures | Oct 11, 2014
- Viking Horse Show, Eyrarbakki Coastal VillageWe slept in today. I woke up at noon....it sure felt great to catch up on some sleep especially after staying up until 2am viewing the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights).
Today our group set out at 2pm. We started our Posted by rraney in Icelandic Adventures | Oct 10, 2014
- The Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights)!We will be leaving Hotel Ranga today. Our hotel was in the middle of nowhere so that we may be away from city lights for the best chance of seeing the Northern Lights. Unfortunately, we did not see Posted by rraney in Icelandic Adventures | Oct 9, 2014
- Black Lava Sand Beach, Waterfalls, Eyjafjallajokull VolcanoToday we traveled along the south shore of Iceland. It was extremely windy on the coast with gusts up to 50MPH!
We saw beautiful geological formations along the beaches.
[img=http:/ Posted by rraney in Icelandic Adventures | Oct 9, 2014
- Blue LagoonWe made it to Iceland! Contrary to popular belief, Iceland does not experience extreme cold and they rarely get snow here that accumulates (unlike Greenland which is covered in snow and ice). The weather is moderate with high temperatures Posted by rraney in Icelandic Adventures | Oct 7, 2014
- CouchsurfingTonight will be our first time [[http://Couchsurfing.org|Couchsurfing]]. We are driving all the way back to Reykjavik today. Our hosts, Svava and Gunnar, are expecting us around 1530 so not a lot of time to site see. We come upon an Posted by DawnaL in From Reading to Reality | Sep 28, 2014
- Whale Watching, Myvatn and GodafossWhale watching from Akureyri was sold out or so I thought so we reserved seats with [[http://www.gentlegiants.is/home/|Gentle Giants]] in Husavik. Up really early and hit the road at 7 for the drive to Husavik. Breakfast in a little Bakeri that Posted by DawnaL in From Reading to Reality | Sep 23, 2014
- Gauksmyri to AkureyriWe took the long way from Gauksmyri to Akureyri. It could have been just a couple hours on the main highway but we changed it up and took the road that went around the north side of the Siglufjodur peninsula. Posted by DawnaL in From Reading to Reality | Sep 22, 2014
- Day 3 Tour Day ~ Geyser[img=htt Posted by EarthTour14 in EarthTour14 | Sep 18, 2014
- Day 3 Tour Day ~ Godafoss Waterfall
I know we have Niagara Falls in all it's glory but this falls was totally amazing. The Godafoss is worth taking a closer look at on the net. Here is what I saw.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/693821/20140918_132858.jpg thumb=http://photos Posted by EarthTour14 in EarthTour14 | Sep 18, 2014
- Day 3 Tour Day ~ National Park ThingvellirThis was a wonderful for us to do something we really love...hiking.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/69 Posted by EarthTour14 in EarthTour14 | Sep 18, 2014
- Holy Shit! We're on Horseback!The pictures prove it. Johann and Juliana got Lorri up on Lisa and then it was my turn to get up on Tanya.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/703515/DSC01902.jpg caption=Johann was very patient with us and so were the horses. Lorri is on Lisa and I Posted by DawnaL in From Reading to Reality | Sep 21, 2014
- Day 2 Reykjavik===It was wonderful to see all the back roads of Reykjavik. ===[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/ Posted by EarthTour14 in EarthTour14 | Sep 17, 2014
- Day 4 Local Iceland Spa day ~~~ London===Tired and sore, we were tempted to treat ourselves to a luxurious spa day. It is early in this BIG DOOZIE so instead of spending 150.00 on one thing, which would but us over our 200.00 dollar a day Posted by EarthTour14 in EarthTour14 | Sep 19, 2014
- Reykjavik to HvammstangiWe made it! Minor glitch at Toronto airport. Made us want to say FOCUS a few times! Long flight and not much sleep. Lots of help at Keflavik airport. we get preboarding and then of course we are the last Posted by DawnaL in From Reading to Reality | Sep 21, 2014
- Day 3 Tour Day ~ Greenhouse
===Today was a complete tour day. It was perfect as it took in most of the elements that represent Iceland. ===
We first visited a Greenhouse. This was so amazing since everything was so perfect for those tomato vines. The Posted by EarthTour14 in EarthTour14 | Sep 18, 2014
- Day 2 More of the Hallgrímskirkja Church===Plus, a ceiling so high that the music just swirls around the pillars. Here's is what I saw there today.===
I love how these sets can flip for viewing the front of the church dur Posted by EarthTour14 in EarthTour14 | Sep 17, 2014
- Day 2 Gone to ChurchSteven and I pretty well spend the day looking around this perfectly groomed city.
My favorite part of the day was spending time at the Leuthran Church that the city is so well know for. The organ in has 5,275 Posted by EarthTour14 in EarthTour14 | Sep 17, 2014
- Sea Day - Bound For ScotlandThe ship demonstrated that she does get effected by the weather although the effect was minimal it made for a lovely rocking motion during the night. I had to cut short my outdoor morning walk as I was twice Posted by greynomadm in 2014-09 Royal Princess | Sep 15, 2014
- Reykjavik, IcelandThis morning we experience the strongest winds so far on this cruise. So strong in fact that it forced the ship to list slightly to Port. The deckhands were not swabbing the deck today, the wind was strong Posted by greynomadm in 2014-09 Royal Princess | Sep 14, 2014
- Here we go....We are keeping our eye on the volcano that is erupting in Iceland.
Reykjavik is really on the other side of Iceland,from where the volcano is, so we are not expecting any delays in our travel plans.
Posted by EarthTour14 in EarthTour14 | Sep 14, 2014
- Sea Day 2 - Iceland AheadThe calm seas continue and last night's fog has dissipated. We've sailed across the North of Scotland and the temperature is quite cool and there's a solid overcast. Sunrise was due at 06:57 but there was no sign Posted by greynomadm in 2014-09 Royal Princess | Sep 13, 2014