- Day One, ReykjavikBrrrr! Bitter cold, but beautiful. The tears in my eyes are freezing, but I don't dare shut them for fear of missing something.
Posted by jazdean in Iceland, On Ice | May 10, 2013
- MyyyyyyyyyyReykjavík is believed to be the location of the first permanent settlement in Iceland, which Ingólfur Arnarson is said to have established around 870 C.E. Until the 18th century, there was no urban development in the city location. The city Posted by jazdean in Iceland, On Ice | May 10, 2013
- Soaking in the LagoonOur final day in Iceland was probably more like a "typical" American's spring break than any of the others. We were taking advantage of a service where the FlyBus will drop you off at the famous Blue Lagoon and store Posted by world_wide_mike in Worldwidemike | Mar 30, 2013
- Prowling Around Reykjavik
Colorful homes in downtown Reykjavik
I don't understand what force is at work, but it seems that every country I visit springs an Posted by world_wide_mike in Worldwidemike | Mar 28, 2013
- Mountains, Oceans and Amazing ViewsHave you ever had one of those days where you just knew it was one of the best days of your life? That's the way I felt the entire day on Tuesday.
Mike and I had decided to rent Posted by Jengt in Jenny sees the World | Mar 28, 2013
- Museum Day in Reykjavik
Golden brooch in the National Museum in Reykjavik
So, to illustrate how the weather has cooperated so far on this trip, consider Posted by world_wide_mike in Worldwidemike | Mar 27, 2013
- Waterfalls, Glaciers and Black SandOne thing both Mike & I prefer to not do is see a country with big tour groups. So when we were planning our trip to Iceland, we thought about where we'd like to go and how to go about Posted by Jengt in Jenny sees the World | Mar 27, 2013
- A Beautiful Lady Named Snaefellsness
I normally don't like photos of myse,f standing in front of places, but I could not resist this beauty...
So, there are two thing Posted by world_wide_mike in Worldwidemike | Mar 26, 2013
- Night LightsOne of the big reasons for coming to Iceland was for Mike and I to see the Northern Lights. We've been trying for years to make it here. Of course, there are plenty of other Reasons to visit Iceland Posted by Jengt in Jenny sees the World | Mar 26, 2013
- Wheels, water, and crampons
Worldwidemike, brave Arctic explorer
So, did we see the northern lights on Sunday? Yes. Cross it off the "bucket list." That said Posted by world_wide_mike in Worldwidemike | Mar 25, 2013
- Riding the Golden CircleDay two started early. Mike and I had scheduled a tour of the Golden Circle through the tour company Gateway to Iceland. We had asked the nice lady at the Tourist Info desk if she recommended one tour company Posted by Jengt in Jenny sees the World | Mar 25, 2013
- Golden time on the Circle
The Golden Circle refers to three main sights not far from Iceland's capital, Reykjavik. We'd booked an excursi Posted by world_wide_mike in Worldwidemike | Mar 25, 2013
- Dipping my toes in Viking territoryWhat a day. Or, rather, 2 days rolled into one. I started my preparations for this trip at the very last minute. Our flight to Reykjavik, Iceland was to leave at 2pm on Friday but I was still Posted by Jengt in Jenny sees the World | Mar 23, 2013
- It's not so cold...well, it's kind of cold, here...
Lake Tjornin in downtown Reykjavik
So my first thought was, "Nah, it isn't that cold here in Iceland!" Later in the day when the Posted by world_wide_mike in Worldwidemike | Mar 23, 2013
- Iceland...for Spring Break...?Okay, so I know most Spring Breakers head to sunny climes, like the beaches of Florida or even the Caribbean. And I know that by March most people are fed up with the cold and snow - at least people Posted by world_wide_mike in Worldwidemike | Mar 19, 2013
- ReykjavikIceland heralded the arrival of my mother and her friend, Melanie, who would join me for a few weeks. On my way to Iceland I had spent about 4 hours in Copenhagen airport. I stupidly assumed I needed to stay Posted by Claire.Miller in Claire's Euro Trip 2013 | Mar 10, 2013
On the way to the airport in Barcelona we got a sprinkling of snow as a goodbye present from Spain. We arrived in London and after being questioned by a grumpy immigration officer at Gatwick, we were into the city Posted by blake-michelle in Blake & Michelle VS The World | Mar 3, 2013
- So it's booked!!
So we did it,
Me and my brother are going to iceland!
We booked through travel republic after checking about 1001 different options
We have wanted to go for many years and decided the time is right.
The mainreason for the trip is to Posted by Tomjlines in In search of the Northern Lights | Feb 10, 2013
- Skaftafell to ReykjavikKirkjugólf
The rain held off when we got to Kirkjubæjarklaustur and we all piled out of the bus in various items of waterproofs or not as the case may be. The weather was really quite bright, and we even saw some Posted by Grete Howard in Grete's Travels | Jan 20, 2013
- A day spent in the Vatnajökull National ParkWe weren't woken in the night for the light,s so presumably there weren't any – although I am not entirely convinced someone in the hotel is actually monitoring the night sky...
The weather this morning was atrocious. Not so much cold Posted by Grete Howard in Grete's Travels | Jan 18, 2013
- Hekla to Skaftafell via a couple of waterfalls and a museum I woke with a start from a loud knock at the door at around 2am, with a shout of “Nortern Lights!” Jumping out of bed and switching the lights on in one swift motion, David, who'd not heard the knock Posted by Grete Howard in Grete's Travels | Jan 17, 2013
- The Golden CircleAt around 23:00 last night I popped out to photograph the rather unusual church yard next to the hotel (every cross is individually lit with fairly lights), when I noticed the clouds were clearing and a few stars were peeping Posted by Grete Howard in Grete's Travels | Jan 16, 2013
- The Snæfellsnes Peninsula - Fjord Cruise - ReykjavikThe wind was howling in the night and by the morning almost all the snow had melted, or rained/blown away. The thermometer said +6C, but the wind said something way cooler. Rocky-Rock had suggested we wrapped up warmly today and Posted by Grete Howard in Grete's Travels | Jan 15, 2013
- Reykjavik – Reykholt via waterfalls and hot springsDespite having read in several places before we left the UK that you have to phone ahead and book your evening dinner in remote places, I still wasn't prepared for the week's menu coming round the bus before we'd even Posted by Grete Howard in Grete's Travels | Jan 14, 2013
- Bristol - London - ReykjavikI would like to say we had a good journey up to Heathrow, but the truth is, I have no idea – I fell asleep as soon as we joined the motorway outside Bristol, and David woke me up just Posted by Grete Howard in Grete's Travels | Jan 13, 2013