- December 4 (Thurs)There was no fruit bread at the stand across the street and I wanted more than just banana for breakfast and so I walked a short distance to the SN Restaurant and had breakfast there. I ordered coffee and Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 7, 2014
- Rockfall and ConversationsOne day at around 5 PM, there was a giant rockfall at one end of town, a few hundred yards from the house. It sounded a bit like thunder, but went on for several minutes, creating a large cloud Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Dec 6, 2014
- December 3 (Wed)This morning I went across the street to the small food shop to buy some things for breakfast. Yesterday the doors of the shop were wide open but today the doors were open just a crack. I saw Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 5, 2014
- December 2 (Tues)The Lonely Planet guidebook that I’m using describes Munnar as south India’s largest tea growing area. The majority of the tea plantations are operated by one one company, the Kannan Devan Hills Plantation Company, which is a local cooperative. Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 5, 2014
- Description of Town and Life in GulabgarhThe town is surrounded by towering snow covered mountains, pine forests, steep rock walls, etc.
View of bridge leading to Gulabgarh
Unfortunately, like so many Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Dec 3, 2014
- December 1 (Mon)The alarm on my watch woke me up a little after 6am. I got cleaned up, loaded my backpack, and was out the door by 7. On the way out I saw John; I thanked Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 3, 2014
- November 30 (Sun)Today I had my final breakfast with John at the homestay. And for the first time it wasn’t a new set of dishes but a breakfast I had enjoyed before. The base was wheat rolled into a structure Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 2, 2014
- November 29 (Sat)Promptly at 9:30am John got me for breakfast. Today’s fare was interesting. There was wheat cooked so that it resembled boiled white rice and a curry consisting of green lentils and diced vegetables. There was also the Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 2, 2014
- November 28 (Fri)I began my day with another excellent breakfast that John’s wife served. It consisted of two curries (one was vegetables with egg and the other was small red beans in a thin, spicy broth) that were added to rice Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 1, 2014
- November 27 (Thurs)Happy Thanksgiving, America!
Thanksgiving appears to be a uniquely western holiday because the folks in India I mentioned it to told me that they had never heard of it. And they were a bit confused when I told them that Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 1, 2014
- November 26 (Wed)At 9:30am John came to get me for breakfast. As usual it was an excellent meal. One of the components of a curry dish I had was a vegetable called “drumstick”. The reason that I remember this Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 1, 2014
- Arrival in Gulabgarh, PaddarNext day we left for Kisthwar at 6 AM in a share taxi, for the 10-12 hour ride. I had forgotten just how crazy the roads can be in the mountains, and it was in terrible shape in many Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 30, 2014
- November 25 (Tues)I’m starting to get used to the time change -- and sleeping better now. My eating habits are also improving. After my Appalachian Trail hike I was obsessed with eating and couldn’t seem to get enough when I Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- November 24 (Mon)I woke at first light. My room has a big fan in it and I shut this off since the morning was relatively cool. But it was also surprisingly noisy. A rooster would crow periodically. I Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- November 23 (Sun)I set my watch alarm for 2:30am and did not have any trouble getting up at this time (probably because it was afternoon in the U.S. and I still have not adjusted to the time change). After Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- November 22 (Sat)In the morning I went for a walk in the neighborhood around the hotel in order to stretch my legs. I was feeling pretty stiff since I had been sitting a lot since leaving the U.S. and I thought that Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- November 21 (Fri)I arrived in Mumbai after a couple of long flights. The first flight, which left Wednesday evening, was from Atlanta, GA to Paris, France. After a 7 hour layover there I caught a flight to Mumbai.
This is my first international Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- Srinagar, KashmirAfter saying good-bye to Nanette in Mumbai, I left the next morning for Srinagar, where Tashi met me at the airport. A good thing since a policemen accompanied me outside since I couldn't tell him where I was staying. Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 27, 2014
- MahabalipuramOur last stop turned out to be one of the best in terms of ruins, particularly the almost 3D reliefs carved out of rock.
"Founded in the 7th century by the Pallavas sovereigns south of Madras, the harbour Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 24, 2014
- PondicherryTaken over by the French in 1674, and briefly occupied by both the Dutch and the British, Pondy was not formally reunited with India until 1962. We stayed in the old French quarter near the sea, which has Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 21, 2014
- Return to India: Temples of Trichy, Thanjavur, and KubakonamWe have been on a temple whirlwind. Flew from Colombo back to Madurai, and then a hot 2&1/2 hour bus ride to Tiruchirappalli, or as it is more commonly known, Trichy.
I Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 13, 2014
- KOCHI (COCHIN) - KeralaKerala state is on the SW coast of India - which was known as the Malabar Coast.
The explorer Vasco da Gama and the Portuguese arrived in around 1500. The Dutch conquered the region in the 1660s taking over the Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Nov 9, 2014
- NEW FRIENDSMeeting local law enforcement - Tourist Police laid on for the Pushkar Fair:
Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Nov 6, 2014
- First day in IndiaHere is a picture of the typical homes in Chennai:
This is the place we stayed. It was a room on the roof of Uncle Jeeva's place. It had a bathroom attached:
[img=http://photos.travell Posted by Lorraine'sblog in Tamil Nadu | Nov 3, 2014
- transportation musingsThere was only one street to get out of our neighbourhood in Chennai. It is a one lane street, but two vehicles can pass if one pulls over. Now, if there happens to be two vehicles parked on Posted by Lorraine'sblog in Tamil Nadu | Nov 3, 2014