- NEW FRIENDSMeeting local law enforcement - Tourist Police laid on for the Pushkar Fair:
Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Nov 6, 2014
- First day in IndiaHere is a picture of the typical homes in Chennai:
This is the place we stayed. It was a room on the roof of Uncle Jeeva's place. It had a bathroom attached:
[img=http://photos.travell Posted by Lorraine'sblog in Tamil Nadu | Nov 3, 2014
- transportation musingsThere was only one street to get out of our neighbourhood in Chennai. It is a one lane street, but two vehicles can pass if one pulls over. Now, if there happens to be two vehicles parked on Posted by Lorraine'sblog in Tamil Nadu | Nov 3, 2014
- PUSHKAR (CAMEL) FAIRLily makes new friends and picks up some fashion tips too.
The Pushkar Fair is Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Nov 3, 2014
- October News from my Volunteer Placement[center]I am alive and well after spending my first full month back in India! It’s hard to believe how quick October has flown by, seems just like yesterday I was lying in a pool of my own sweat sweltering in Posted by bodyhealer21 in Transforming Lives Globally | Nov 1, 2014
- If the Clothes Make the Man, Do they Make the Macaque?[center][/center]
[right]Renaissance Monkey Photo Copyright (c) 2014 Tyler M. Stevens[/right]
[b][center]Cloaked in a sheet it liberated from a monk's clothesline,
a young rhesus macaqu Posted by TravelerTyler in Whither shall the winds blow me? | Oct 31, 2014
- ArrivalAuntie Eva, Ruby and I arrived safely in Chennai at 0400h on October 06, 2014.
There was no one to meet us. In all the activity of getting ready for the trip, no one thought to arrange how we were Posted by Lorraine'sblog in Tamil Nadu | Oct 30, 2014
- TITTERS AROUND THE TREE OF ENLIGHTMENTBuddhist meditation is all about thinking positive thoughts. So why did I have to think about burning butterfly's wings?
The benign presence of Buddhism can be felt all over India in especially in the Northern states, in places Posted by gavinbose in TEMPLES,TEAS,TIGERS & TANTRUMS IN TRAINS | Oct 30, 2014
- INDIAN FOOD in RajasthanThe first encounter with indian cuisine usually begins with a cup of Masala Chai or 'Indian Tea' - a brew of black tea (Assam, Darjeeling...), milk, sugar, ginger and spices (eg. cardamom), then strained and served.
This concoction Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Oct 29, 2014
- Lost in the Crowds, Hassled & Heckled,and Gut Trouble in GoaFollowing on from my previous blog, we were heading back to Mumbai for the evening so that we could board a train to Goa the next morning; we wanted to travel through the day so as to experience the scenery Posted by Lady-K in Incredulous Tales from a Naïve Traveller | Oct 25, 2014
- RAJASTHANI COLOURMost noticeable in India are the colourful saris and clothing of different variations worn by Indian women.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/152071/90_61BB Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Oct 23, 2014
- DIRTY GIRLS LIKE DIRTY TRUCKS (probably dirty trekkers also)I casually slipped off the warm memory foam mattress, underneath the smooth silk sheets and into the aromatic hot tub below. My arm is outstretched. "Bucks Fizz Kabhi". It is 5 AM and a rude knock on the door Posted by gavinbose in TEMPLES,TEAS,TIGERS & TANTRUMS IN TRAINS | Oct 22, 2014
- Trip SummaryWow, where to begin? India was such a fascinating place to visit. It far exceeded my expectations, mostly because I didn't have many expectation when we left. I wanted to see the Taj Mahal and everything else Posted by Herk58 in 2014 - Our Journey to India | Oct 22, 2014
- Day 11 - Going HomeToday will be a long day; mostly waiting around. Our flight doesn't take off until 10:50 this evening.
We wake up, and clean up as we will need to check out by 12:00. We started packing last night, so Posted by Herk58 in 2014 - Our Journey to India | Oct 22, 2014
- Day 10 - DelhiWe are in no hurry, so we slept in a little bit, then cleaned up and went down for a nice breakfast. Beginning to think that there is a competition between the groups to get people to eat. Posted by Herk58 in 2014 - Our Journey to India | Oct 22, 2014
- Day 9 - Goodbyes and New DelhiToday we leave the train, bid farewell to Seema and Prem and Lily and Som, then head back to the JW Marriott.
We woke up early to shower and finish packing. The train was already in the Delhi train station Posted by Herk58 in 2014 - Our Journey to India | Oct 22, 2014
- Day 8 - Agra - Taj MahalOur final day on-board the RROW takes us to one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World - the Taj Mahal. But first, we will see the Red Fort and have a nice lunch.
We load up the bus Posted by Herk58 in 2014 - Our Journey to India | Oct 22, 2014
- Day 7 - VaranasiToday we will be visiting Varanasi, the oldest living city in India, if not the world, and the holiest city for the Hindu religion. Located on the Ganges River, it is a pilgrimage site for the Hindu faithful. Posted by Herk58 in 2014 - Our Journey to India | Oct 22, 2014
- PETULA AND TARQUIN PREPARE TO TREKGo Airways did as it said on the label. Fortunately there are no Indian airlines called "Breakdown", "Engine failure" or "crash".
GO took us to the romantic sounding Bagdogra, the main airport serving the West Bengal Hills. Politics cannot Posted by gavinbose in TEMPLES,TEAS,TIGERS & TANTRUMS IN TRAINS | Oct 21, 2014
- KOLKATA: DIRT AND DURGADubai certainly seemed a long 5 1/2 hours away after the aircraft touched down at Subhash Chandra Bose Airport, Kolkata, a full 67 years and and 45 days since Indian Independence. The airport had certainly been radically modernised recently and Posted by gavinbose in TEMPLES,TEAS,TIGERS & TANTRUMS IN TRAINS | Oct 21, 2014
- Day 6 - KhajurahoAfter yesterday's busy schedule, we were able to sleep in this morning. The journey from Jaipur to Khajuraho is a long one, so we had some time to just relax this morning en route.
The town of Khajuraho is a Posted by Herk58 in 2014 - Our Journey to India | Oct 20, 2014
- Day 5 - Second Half - Jaipur - Elephant RideAfter a quick train ride, we departed for our afternoon and evening in Jaipur. We will be starting out at the Amber Fort and will be arriving at the fort on Elephant back. As our bus arrives, Posted by Herk58 in 2014 - Our Journey to India | Oct 19, 2014
- CAMEL SAFARI
Camel Safari is a big tourist thing here, in Rajasthan.
The overnight option i Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Oct 19, 2014
- 18 HOURS ON THE RANIKHET EXPRESS
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/152071/9CE4B644031564BFFD6F2B5DA651E41A.jp Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Oct 19, 2014
- Day 5 - First Half - Sawai Madhopur - SafariToday is one of the days I've been waiting for - Safari Day. Crossing our fingers that we see more than just birds and squirrels.
So we get up at 5:00 am to leave at 6:00 am for our visit Posted by Herk58 in 2014 - Our Journey to India | Oct 19, 2014