- November 28 (Fri)I began my day with another excellent breakfast that John’s wife served. It consisted of two curries (one was vegetables with egg and the other was small red beans in a thin, spicy broth) that were added to rice Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 1, 2014
- November 27 (Thurs)Happy Thanksgiving, America!
Thanksgiving appears to be a uniquely western holiday because the folks in India I mentioned it to told me that they had never heard of it. And they were a bit confused when I told them that Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 1, 2014
- November 26 (Wed)At 9:30am John came to get me for breakfast. As usual it was an excellent meal. One of the components of a curry dish I had was a vegetable called “drumstick”. The reason that I remember this Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Dec 1, 2014
- Arrival in Gulabgarh, PaddarNext day we left for Kisthwar at 6 AM in a share taxi, for the 10-12 hour ride. I had forgotten just how crazy the roads can be in the mountains, and it was in terrible shape in many Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 30, 2014
- November 25 (Tues)I’m starting to get used to the time change -- and sleeping better now. My eating habits are also improving. After my Appalachian Trail hike I was obsessed with eating and couldn’t seem to get enough when I Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- November 24 (Mon)I woke at first light. My room has a big fan in it and I shut this off since the morning was relatively cool. But it was also surprisingly noisy. A rooster would crow periodically. I Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- November 23 (Sun)I set my watch alarm for 2:30am and did not have any trouble getting up at this time (probably because it was afternoon in the U.S. and I still have not adjusted to the time change). After Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- November 22 (Sat)In the morning I went for a walk in the neighborhood around the hotel in order to stretch my legs. I was feeling pretty stiff since I had been sitting a lot since leaving the U.S. and I thought that Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- November 21 (Fri)I arrived in Mumbai after a couple of long flights. The first flight, which left Wednesday evening, was from Atlanta, GA to Paris, France. After a 7 hour layover there I caught a flight to Mumbai.
This is my first international Posted by kpoleary in India Trip | Nov 28, 2014
- Srinagar, KashmirAfter saying good-bye to Nanette in Mumbai, I left the next morning for Srinagar, where Tashi met me at the airport. A good thing since a policemen accompanied me outside since I couldn't tell him where I was staying. Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 27, 2014
- MahabalipuramOur last stop turned out to be one of the best in terms of ruins, particularly the almost 3D reliefs carved out of rock.
"Founded in the 7th century by the Pallavas sovereigns south of Madras, the harbour Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 24, 2014
- PondicherryTaken over by the French in 1674, and briefly occupied by both the Dutch and the British, Pondy was not formally reunited with India until 1962. We stayed in the old French quarter near the sea, which has Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 21, 2014
- Return to India: Temples of Trichy, Thanjavur, and KubakonamWe have been on a temple whirlwind. Flew from Colombo back to Madurai, and then a hot 2&1/2 hour bus ride to Tiruchirappalli, or as it is more commonly known, Trichy.
I Posted by jonshapiro in Vagabonding at 60 | Nov 13, 2014
- KOCHI (COCHIN) - KeralaKerala state is on the SW coast of India - which was known as the Malabar Coast.
The explorer Vasco da Gama and the Portuguese arrived in around 1500. The Dutch conquered the region in the 1660s taking over the Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Nov 9, 2014
- NEW FRIENDSMeeting local law enforcement - Tourist Police laid on for the Pushkar Fair:
Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Nov 6, 2014
- First day in IndiaHere is a picture of the typical homes in Chennai:
This is the place we stayed. It was a room on the roof of Uncle Jeeva's place. It had a bathroom attached:
[img=http://photos.travell Posted by Lorraine'sblog in Tamil Nadu | Nov 3, 2014
- transportation musingsThere was only one street to get out of our neighbourhood in Chennai. It is a one lane street, but two vehicles can pass if one pulls over. Now, if there happens to be two vehicles parked on Posted by Lorraine'sblog in Tamil Nadu | Nov 3, 2014
- PUSHKAR (CAMEL) FAIRLily makes new friends and picks up some fashion tips too.
The Pushkar Fair is Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Nov 3, 2014
- October News from my Volunteer Placement[center]I am alive and well after spending my first full month back in India! It’s hard to believe how quick October has flown by, seems just like yesterday I was lying in a pool of my own sweat sweltering in Posted by bodyhealer21 in Transforming Lives Globally | Nov 1, 2014
- If the Clothes Make the Man, Do they Make the Macaque?[center][/center]
[right]Renaissance Monkey Photo Copyright (c) 2014 Tyler M. Stevens[/right]
[b][center]Cloaked in a sheet it liberated from a monk's clothesline,
a young rhesus macaqu Posted by TravelerTyler in Whither shall the winds blow me? | Oct 31, 2014
- ArrivalAuntie Eva, Ruby and I arrived safely in Chennai at 0400h on October 06, 2014.
There was no one to meet us. In all the activity of getting ready for the trip, no one thought to arrange how we were Posted by Lorraine'sblog in Tamil Nadu | Oct 30, 2014
- TITTERS AROUND THE TREE OF ENLIGHTMENTBuddhist meditation is all about thinking positive thoughts. So why did I have to think about burning butterfly's wings?
The benign presence of Buddhism can be felt all over India in especially in the Northern states, in places Posted by gavinbose in TEMPLES,TEAS,TIGERS & TANTRUMS IN TRAINS | Oct 30, 2014
- INDIAN FOOD in RajasthanThe first encounter with indian cuisine usually begins with a cup of Masala Chai or 'Indian Tea' - a brew of black tea (Assam, Darjeeling...), milk, sugar, ginger and spices (eg. cardamom), then strained and served.
This concoction Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Oct 29, 2014
- Lost in the Crowds, Hassled & Heckled,and Gut Trouble in GoaFollowing on from my previous blog, we were heading back to Mumbai for the evening so that we could board a train to Goa the next morning; we wanted to travel through the day so as to experience the scenery Posted by Lady-K in Incredulous Tales from a Naïve Traveller | Oct 25, 2014
- RAJASTHANI COLOURMost noticeable in India are the colourful saris and clothing of different variations worn by Indian women.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/152071/90_61BB Posted by OwenY in Owen & Lily back in INDIA | Oct 23, 2014