- Day OneA quick summary of the hours spent travelling to Italy by plane: It was boring, tiring, and uneventful. We did, however, get a nice view of the Alps when we passed from France to Italy. We were able to see Posted by sweeney04 in Italy Vacation 2016 | Jun 25, 2016
- Heading Home...once you get there.
Nothing can slam you back into reality faster than the stress of making a flight. Oceania booked our flights, and our return flight to Philadelphia is scheduled to depart at 11:50 AM, with boarding at 11:05. Posted by Cybercsp in Sirena Cruise - Athens to Rome | Jun 25, 2016
- Days 14 & 15: Venice, ItalyWe took a 7 hour train ride through the scenic Austrian and Italian countryside to arrive in Venice. We saw many small towns nestled among the mountains and beautiful rivers and lakes. We did have to switch trains 1.5 hours Posted by abbyyelton in Yelton Family's 2016 European Adventure | Jun 24, 2016
- Sorrento - Day 12Arriving at Sorrento was a bit like coming home. This is our third trip to this beautiful town. Charlie and I were here in 1996, and we returned with Ryan and Cynthia in 2006. Now, we Posted by Cybercsp in Sirena Cruise - Athens to Rome | Jun 24, 2016
- All Roads Lead to RomeBleary eyed I wait patiently in immigration. My turn arrives, my Italian immigration official is talking to his colleague. I stand there awkwardly, I’ve approached the desk ‘to quickly’ and been reprimanded before. He reaches a hand for my passport, Posted by The Tipsy Gipsy in The Tipsy Gipsy | Jun 23, 2016
- Taormina - Day 11Welcome to Sicily, the land of the Godfather. When I turned 40, and Charlie asked if I wanted a birthday party, I replied that I would rather have a trip. This was after watching the movie "Only You" Posted by Cybercsp in Sirena Cruise - Athens to Rome | Jun 23, 2016
- Day at Sea - Day 10Seas were rougher than anticipated last night, and we have experienced the "motion of the ocean" today as well, as we head toward Italy.
The day started with the sheer delight of not having to wake up to the alarm. Posted by Cybercsp in Sirena Cruise - Athens to Rome | Jun 22, 2016
- Day 17 FlorenceOur last day travelling together.
Highlights of today were guided tours of two major galleries and a timed entry to climb the massive dome of Florence cathedral.
First stop the Uffizzi Gallery. This place is similar to the Louvre or Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 19, 2016
- Day 15 last day of riding - San Gimignano to CastellinaDay 15. Sixth day of riding
Set off from the beautiful town of San Gimignano by exiting from one of the ancient city gates. Downhill for a distance. Downhill has become one of my favourite things. Uphill not so much. We Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 16, 2016
- Day 16 Castellina in Chianti to FlorenceWe decided against an optional extra bike ride this morning. Six days was enough. We caught a taxi to Poggibonsi and then a train to Florence. That gave us the afternoon to explore this marvel of a city.
Again we Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 18, 2016
- Goodbye to ItalyWell today we spent our last full day in Italy, roaming the glass shops of Murano and snapping photos of the colourful houses of Burano. It is a shame I didn't get to these places on my last trip Posted by djssj in Here we go again! | Jun 16, 2016
- Day 14 Photos. San GimignanoLocal speciality - pici
Some of the towers of San Gimignano
To Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 16, 2016
- Day 14. Fifth day of riding - to San GimignanoDay 14. Fifth day of riding. The distance from Siena to San Gimignano on back roads was more than 70 kms, so Ciccloposse picked us up this morning and gave us a lift to a point 30kms from San Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 16, 2016
- Day 13 photos SienaSiena Cathedral library
Siena main piazza and town hall tower
Christine in the countryside
[img=http://photos.travellerspoi Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 15, 2016
- Day 13 fourth day of riding - to SienaDay 13 Fourth day of riding. From Montalcino to Siena. It was supposed to be 51km but we think we clocked more like 53.
It was a massive downhill out of Montalcino - approx 10 km before we hit Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 15, 2016
- VeniceHello. Well despite the storm and rain gods making last night impossible to sleep (especially with a frightened child climbing into your bed) we eventually got the train(25 mins) to Venice as the sun shone. Again Venice stole Posted by djssj in Here we go again! | Jun 15, 2016
- PaduaGreetings we spent the day exploring this delightful city. Fortunately very close to where we were staying was the Scorvegni Chapel. The frescoes inside the chapel are considered a masterpiece and date from the 14th century. The roof Posted by djssj in Here we go again! | Jun 15, 2016
- Day 12 Pienza to MontalcinoThird day of our bike tour. A moderate 36km today. We had the joy of 3 kms of very fast downhill, that we had conquered going up hill 2 days before. Then rolling hills to a town with a thermal Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 14, 2016
- Day 10 photosGnocchi with porcini mushrooms
Christine's pumpkin flowers stuffed with potato
View from Montalcino
[img=http://photos.t Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 12, 2016
- Final stop ItalyGreetings from luxury! We arrived in Padua late afternoon after a couple of trains from Lucca. All in all manageable despite no taxi to the station this morning, with ramps, lifts and a McDonalds at Florence train station Posted by djssj in Here we go again! | Jun 13, 2016
- Day 11 Second day of riding around PienzaDay 11. Pienza - plus a short ride there and back again.
After an early night our muscles had recovered.
Pienza is a UNESCO world heritage site for its historic medieval buildings. We spent the morning exploring the narrow lanes Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 13, 2016
- Day 10 first day of cyclingDay 10. Pienza - 60 km bike ride. Staying Relais il Chostro Di Pienza
First day of riding. Wow we are so impressed with the organisation of the the tour provider Ciccloposse. They gave us great bikes and excellent maps and Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 12, 2016
- Change of plansWell after a pause yesterday we opted against the intensity of Florence today. It would have been great but a lot to see and with hot weather and rain forecast we went a bit more local instead. Everyone Posted by djssj in Here we go again! | Jun 12, 2016
- Day 9 Parma food tourFood tour of Parma Reggio Emilia area. Produce in this region has had official protection of their methods called POD. Similar to champagne only being used to describe wine made in a part of France, here Parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 11, 2016
- Day 7 Lake Como to ParmaFerry + train + train. So some time to comment on the little things we notice.
Smoking. Oh dear, so many people smoke. It's not banned from restaurants, so sitting at the outside tables leave you at the mercy of whoever Posted by Kath.Christine in Italy and London | Jun 9, 2016