- First day, first festivalWe zipped into Tokyo and stashed out luggage (it seems every JR train station has luggage lockers which is extremely handy) then headed out. Our first destination was the Imperial Palace but it was not open to the public Posted by tdeits in Tom's Travels | Aug 11, 2016
- Obihiro ButadonThe Obihiro butadon is a famous local dish in the region of Tokachi in Hokkaido. Every butadon in the nation of Japan looks up to the butadon in Obihiro because that's where it was originated from. In this Posted by Ohana_Matsumae in Gourmet Trip in Japan | Aug 10, 2016
- Festival Season in JapanI'm off to Japan again, this time in the summer to try and overdose on festival season. I'm fortunate that my son Robin is able to come with me for the first two weeks of my three week excursion. Posted by tdeits in Tom's Travels | Aug 10, 2016
- Tokushima RamenI have come back to bring you guys another blog post about ramen. Today I will be talking about a special type of ramen called the "Tokushima ramen". As some of you might have already known, Tokushima is Posted by Ohana_Matsumae in Gourmet Trip in Japan | Aug 8, 2016
- Japan Top 5We flew around the globe in 18 days. Boston west to LA to Tokyo; then Tokyo west to London back to Boston. This wasn't planned, or by choice; we got screwed by American Airlines. The extra 7 hours gave me Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 13, 2016
- Lazy Day in OsakaIt was a very lazy day today. Justin and I went to bed very late last night and Justin barely got any sleep at all because he was feeling pretty sick all night. Unfortunately, that meant that we stayed pretty Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | Jul 21, 2016
- Travel Day: Chiang Mai to OsakaI think we underestimated the amount of travel we'd be doing on this trip. So far it seems like we've spent far more time in airports than our entire 6 1/2 month trip combined and today's travel day added to Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | Jul 20, 2016
- Part 6: TokyoWe arrived at Tokyo's Narita International Airport on Friday the 8th of July. We cleared customs and as soon as we had a wifi signal found out via email that the apartment we booked from Brisbane was available. Posted by WaghVenture16 in Summer Adventure 2016 | Jul 18, 2016
- SumoSumo is a big deal here. It's huge. Like, they are celebrities that date the supermodels. We witnessed their elite status at the Nagoya Basho (one of six 15-day championship tournaments they have each year) as hoards of women, all Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 12, 2016
- Sakae and SakeInspired by the movie premise last night, we went in search of something we fear. We had seen a tank full of pufferfish, or blowfish, in our wanderings yesterday. There was a small stall with one cook inside and he Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 11, 2016
- This Year's BeefThe last major food group we needed to "check-off" was soba noodles. According to tripadvisor, we needed to eat at Teuchisoba Ebisu; and it was spot-on. In its front window we saw the tail end of the cook cutting the Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 10, 2016
- Sake CrawlThe brunch at our hotel, although extensive and trying to satisfy both Japanese and Western taste buds, was awful, so we went to Omi-Cho Market instead. With appendages still twisting and twitching we watched the fishmongers corral the slippery and Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 9, 2016
- Down to a StrollWe slowed down to a stroll today. It is supposed to be a vacation, after all. The heat has followed us. But no matter how hot it gets, I always appreciate a heated toilet seat. We read up on Japanese Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 8, 2016
- Until next time, KyotoAvoiding our Kyoto departure, we went to eat my last Japanese toast at our Second Breakfast place. Instead of taking a left back to our ryokan, we took a right. We discovered a whole neighborhood back there with shops
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.c Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 7, 2016
- Do Geisha Take Cabs?My question was soon answered as Matthew and I, or rather I, stalked the Gion Corner in search of geisha between 5-6:30 when they are usually on their way to their first appointment. Matthew coined the term "Geisha-razzi"; and that Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 6, 2016
- Travel Day: Kyoto to HanoiWell today was such a long travel day, it seemed like we were gone for a week! Our morning started off like any other morning with the fam bam. Since we didn't have to leave for our flight until late Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | Jul 6, 2016
- Where's the Beef?It's in Kobe.
Today's sole mission:
To eat Kobe beef in Kobe.
Off a tripadvisor recommendation, we had made reservations via the front desk lady at our Osaka hotel. After second breakfast of Japanese toast, we took the 50-minute-express JR train to Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 5, 2016
- Cross it off my bucket listI can now die.
I saw geisha today. Well, one geisha and two meiko (apprentice geisha) I spotted them from afar at the Nanzenji Temple. I knew they were real, and not some tourists dressed in kimono, when I saw their Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 4, 2016
- Travel Day: Himeji to KyotoWe were fortunate to have another relaxing travel day in Japan, seemingly due to the incredible efficiency of the Japanese train system. We started our day waking up and heading to breakfast at 7:30. We had another great Japanese and Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | Jul 4, 2016
- Dreamy KyotoKyoto is just as I dreamed it would be. Traditional. Simple. Magical.
We are staying at Gion Morisyo, a traditional ryokan in the heart of Gion.
The homes are two stories high with angled clay-shingled rooftops. [img=http://photos.travellerspoint. Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 3, 2016
- Hot Hot Hot in HimejiWell, as the title suggests, it was a hot one today!! Our morning started off in our nice hotel with a Japanese and Western buffet for breakfast. We loaded up on katsu, rice, bacon, and eggs until we felt like Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | Jul 3, 2016
- Shit-ake mushrooms Holy shit-ake mushrooms is it hot.
Now I see what the locals are doing - I am really tempted to buy a handkerchief or facecloth to wipe my brow and the back of my neck (and between my boobs). It Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 2, 2016
- Heart-Osaka Osaka has flair. It is full of character, with its people, architecture, and neighborhoods. Osakans seem more fun loving; we hear more laughter. Not sure if it was the Hilton hotel (which is really nice - don't get me wrong Posted by LaurendeMatt in Japan | Jul 1, 2016
- Travel Day: Takayama to HimejiIt seems like our travel days are getting easier and easier as time goes on. Most of it seems to be due to the fact that everyone has learned to follow my lead ;) We started off our day with Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | Jul 2, 2016
- Touring Takayama, JapanIt was a hot day in Takayama today! Kaela and I started off the day by putting on our yukata robes and headed down for a traditional Japanese breakfast with the family. As it turns out, we were the only Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | Jul 1, 2016