- What if the day remained cloudy? On the fateful date of August 9th, 1945, at 11:02 am local time, Nagasaki became the second city to be decimated by an atomic weapon. Instantly, 70,000+ of the 240,000 residents burned into black char and vaporized. Many more died Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 20, 2015
- Floating gateThe iconic floating torii gate located near the Miyajima Island and its surrounding scenery is considered as one of the "Three Views of Japan."
There are three routes one can take to the top of the mountain, which is around 3 Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 19, 2015
- Adventures on the HozugawaTwo days ago, en route to where this story is actually going, we went to a fancy shiatsu/massage clinic to schedule an early evening appointment for Pam, who hasn't been feeling well pretty much the entire trip. (The massage Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 3 | Mar 18, 2015
- A simple Shinto shrienThis may not look much, but it is the the future site of Gekū dedicated to Toyouke no ōmikami, the deity of agriculture and industry, and is one of Shinto's holiest shrines, which must be headed by royal bloodlines.
Rebuild Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 17, 2015
- Life saver boxes If you have been wondering how I was able to visit so many places and didn't collapse from malnutrition, this photo holds all the answer. Bento boxes are complete set meals that are available in all significant train stations and Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 16, 2015
- Honshu, I'm HomeThe sound of water beating the confines of my tub is a stark beginning to the day, a pair of new neighbours above gaining quick insight into my erratic hours as I draw my warm dip at 0230. Following two Posted by Camp-Aztitz in Memoirs of Aphasia | Mar 15, 2015
- Elegance and SerenityWe spent a lovely afternoon yesterday with one of our Kyoto friends, whom I met at a yoga class in 2012. As my friend, Wayne, says, it's best to have a local friend because they know where the really good Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 3 | Mar 15, 2015
- The force is strong with this festivalBest snow sculpture in the Sapporo Snow Festival.
Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 15, 2015
- Further Ruminations by DickThis was to have been the year of Pam's and my first ever trip to Europe together. To France, specifically. Pam has never been there. I'm a low-grade Francophile (well, actually I'm a low-grade pretty much Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 3 | Mar 15, 2015
- Femme fatale There is something about female ninjas that is quite alluring. Probably because the combination of mystery, beauty, and danger is a very seductive one. But there is a reason for terms like femme fatale even since the ancient times.
[img=http://www.boya Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 14, 2015
- Why would people live in coffins? Not quite a capsule hotel, but close enough. $27/night near the train station, which is pretty much as cheap as you can get for those kind of locations in cities in Japan.
Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 13, 2015
- Temples, Tomodachi (Friends), and Tori (Birds)So sorry for the silence. Dick and I have both been under the weather and took off about a day and a half to recuperate/rejuvenate. A few days ago, we visited Toji Temple (temples are Buddhist, shrines are Shinto), a Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 3 | Mar 13, 2015
- What is this food? Oyaki, the small round thing near the right edge of the traditional Japanese grill, or irori, is the traditional food in the Nagano area. Due to the mountainous geography and long winters, it was difficult to grow rice in the Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 18, 2015
- You put what in my noodles? Finally I had enough time to sit down in an restaurant to take a food photo. Nothing out of the ordinary though (fried boiled egg, fried onion ball, fried vegetable thingy, Japanese probably eat more fried foods than American Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 12, 2015
- The forests of thin treesThe bamboo forest walk in Arashiyama is one of the Japan's most beautiful places. Amidst the towering and densely packed bamboos, one can enjoy a picturesque, although sometimes crowded, 10 min stroll.
[img=http://www.boyang.photography/photos/i-J5Qp5 Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 11, 2015
- Food, Food, Glorious FoodIt's a good thing I brought pants with drawstring or elastic waists, because one of the great pleasures of being in Japan is the food! Until very recently, most Japanese restaurants back home served pretty much the same thing: teriyaki, Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 3 | Mar 10, 2015
- The Best Invention in the WorldHow did the human race survive without this amazing invention? Whoever patented this should be named as one of the world's most influential person.
[img=http://www.boyang.photogr Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 9, 2015
- Random Observations So Far Some random observations so far:
- There are no soap in the bathrooms
- Warm toilet seats are nice, once you get used to it.
- Japan has quite a patriarchal society, which can be seen in the simple bathroom sign Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 9, 2015
- A Touristy Photo of TokyoI feel like I'm obligated to post a normal touristy photo, since some of y'all never been to Japan before.
Here is a night scene from a popular tourist spot. The skyline of Tokyo is actually not that as concentrate Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 9, 2015
- What is that Warm Liquid? I don't know how much longer I can hold it in anymore, it has more than a day now since I could use the toilet. I have been scared to use it ever since I randomly pressed a button and Posted by btang in Being a Kid Again | Mar 9, 2015
- Life in Kyoto--Early DaysWe have a too new camera along for this trip -- a Nikon S9700 -- intended to replace our sweet, late, lamented, little tank Lumix. The intended charm of the new camera is that it's smaller and lighter than Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 3 | Mar 7, 2015
- On the Road AgainWe're back in Japan again! We had an uneventful flight via LAX to Narita (although those airplane seats seem to get smaller and more uncomfortable every year!), and an overnight in a Narita hotel--a Hilton. Yes, we usually stay away Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 3 | Mar 4, 2015
- Homeward Bound...we're in Tokyo - sort of...Our Valentine's Day this year will be the longest either of us have ever experienced! We will fly back across the international date line before "our" Feb 14th ends, and join the Feb 14th people in North America began Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Feb 14, 2015
- Haneda Airport, Tokyo10 hours of All Nippon Airways' precise and stylish service is preparation for the more intense Japanese reality you can begin to experience at Haneda.
The young couple in front of us on the plane were either married or celebrated same Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 18, 2015
- Hungry? (Tokyo - Part 4)Writing this post now makes me so hungry. If I were to rank my favorite food according to country, my homeland, Malaysia, would win hands down. But Japan comes a very close second. If nothing else, the uniqueness of Posted by chriskk in Plotting Memories | Jan 16, 2015