- Arashiyama (Part 1: Monkey Park)On Thursday I headed to Arashiayama in Kyoto and went to Iwatayama Monkey Park.
I had read about this Monkey Park online and had planned to go on Saturday. However, I didn't end up having to go into campus on Posted by sneezekoofer in My Japan Travels 2014 | Jul 28, 2014
- Travelling SoundzWas wäre Reisen ohne gute Musik? Nur zu gut erinnere ich mich an die Zeit in Indien, Nepal und Tibet 1999, als meine Cousine Tanja und ich mit einem Walkman unterwegs waren. Damals hatten wir maximal zehn Kassetten dabei und Posted by birdfish in Let's Summer! | Jul 25, 2014
- Umeda + Osaka CastleOn the weekend I visited the Umeda area of Osaka and also checked out Osaka Castle.
Umeda Station is the busiest station in western Japan. Its surrounding area is also the Posted by sneezekoofer in My Japan Travels 2014 | Jul 23, 2014
- TokyoWe arrived this morning in Tokyo and given the horrible events that took place whilst we were in the air over Russia it is with much relief we are here. Jet lag intense as kids only got a few Posted by djssj in The big trip | Jul 18, 2014
- Gion FestivalOn Tuesday evening I went to the Gion Festival (Gion Matsuri) in Kyoto. I met some friends there and their office mates.
The Gion Festival is an annual festival held in Kyoto. It goes on for the entire month of July, Posted by sneezekoofer in My Japan Travels 2014 | Jul 17, 2014
- Kinkaku-ji + Fushimi Inari Taisha (Kyoto)On Saturday I went to Kyoto. Kyoto is another prefecture of Japan, about 2 hours away from my place by train. It was the capital of Japan for over one thousand years (794-1868), so there's a lot of history in Posted by sneezekoofer in My Japan Travels 2014 | Jul 14, 2014
- Japanese FoodI've decided to post about my experience with the food in Japan thus far:
I'm a little picky when it comes to food... I like what I like, and although I'm willing to try new things, they don't often agree with Posted by sneezekoofer in My Japan Travels 2014 | Jul 11, 2014
- NambaOn Saturday I went to the Namba (Minami) area of Osaka. It was about a half hour away. Last Sunday after we got back from Nara we had dinner in the Namba area. It was very modern with lots of Posted by sneezekoofer in My Japan Travels 2014 | Jul 6, 2014
- NaraThe students in my research group invited me to go to Nara with them on Sunday. It was a little over an hour away.
Nara is known for its deer and its giant Buddha statue (in fact, their prefecture mascot Posted by sneezekoofer in My Japan Travels 2014 | Jul 1, 2014
- Osaka AquariumToday I finally ventured away from campus and headed to the Osaka Bay area. It was about an hour away. The commute went a lot smoother than I anticipated (I have a terrible sense of direction, so I was expecting Posted by sneezekoofer in My Japan Travels 2014 | Jun 28, 2014
- Made it to JapanAfter about 40 hours on the road, I made it to Japan last night.
I survived the night at LAX. It wasn't too bad. I got kicked out of my little sitting area because they waxed the floors there, but Posted by sneezekoofer in My Japan Travels 2014 | Jun 26, 2014
- May 10th (Sunday)I have the impression that today we've visited a lot of places but in fact we've realized that are far more, so maybe we have to give up the one day trip to Nikko.
Today we've started the day with an Posted by csokis in Japan 2014 | May 10, 2014
- Narita Airport 19:50
Hai, Sei, Go-go-go
This is the first Japanese sentence we've learned while queueing at the customs waiting Posted by csokis in Japan 2014 | May 10, 2014
- Last leg of the journeyWe arrived in Tokyo 2 days ago and evidently brought the start of the rainy season with us. It has been POURING ever since our arrival. Last night, after a nice dinner with our friends, we were about to leave, Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 2 | Jun 6, 2014
- Finding FamilyOne of the questions I'm frequently asked is whether I have family still living in Japan. Unfortunately, on my mom's side, I don't think anyone knows. On my dad's side, however, the picture is a bit clearer. Dad and many Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 2 | Jun 5, 2014
- August 6 Equals August 5Since I was eight or nine years old I've known that Japan's August 6, 1945, when the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, was August 5 on the American side of the international dateline. Calculating precisely when it occured Seattle Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 2 | Jun 1, 2014
- Onomichi AgainThe minute we saw Onomichi, I realized I had made a big mistake. I'd booked us for only two nights. Not enough time. We'd just finished a 3-week stay in Kyoto, which is totally landlocked. Onomichi is on the sea--the Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 2 | Jun 1, 2014
- Onomichi's Sea Wall GatesOver the past 3+ years we've been mildly obsessed by Japan's Tohoku earthquake, the subsequent tsunami and the Fukushima nuclear plant meltdown. We've watched hours of documentaries about the events, the aftermath, and the plans and efforts to avert Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 2 | May 31, 2014
- Kyoto LivingToday was pretty mellow compared to our last couple of days in Kyoto. We woke up and had a very nice breakfast at home with Keiko. She prepared sautéed vegetables, hard boiled eggs, bread rolls, and cantaloupe. Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | May 29, 2014
- Cape Sôya !!!===May, 28th 2014===
Toyotomi - Wakkanai
Driven km: 46.63 km
Time: 2:02 h
Average speed: 22.82 km/h
Max. speed: 39.52 km/h
So Barry and me went off to Wakkanai, Japan's northernmost city around 11 a.m. The trip was short and sweet, ju Posted by Kitaine in Crossing Japan | May 29, 2014
- Fun Fun in KyotoToday was a long, busy, and fun day. We started the day by going to breakfast with Keiko and Nob at a cute little place called Akamanma Cafe. Justin had a BLT (he doesn't eat breakfast very often) Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | May 28, 2014
- Into the Mountains on a Hot DayA few days ago, the forecast for Kyoto was in the mid 80's. A good time to go to the mountains, we thought. Not the real high mountains, but mountains close enough to make an easy day trip. So we Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 2 | May 28, 2014
- Hokkaido with Irish company===May, 25th 2014===
Takikawa - Rumoi
Driven km: 58.58 km
Time: 3:09 h
Average speed: 18.57 km/h
Max. speed: 37.29 km/h
Having relaxed most of the day before - at the onsen and having done laundry – I was refreshed enough to go to my next Posted by Kitaine in Crossing Japan | May 28, 2014
- Random Thoughts from Pam1. Why does a country that gave us the heated toilet seat with the toilet cover that automatically raises when you open the stall door place the hook to hang things on at the very top of the stall door, Posted by pokano in Jizo Diary, Paato 2 | May 27, 2014
- Travel Day: Hakone to KyotoWe started off the day packing up and leaving Hakone. We had one last tea time at the Ryokan and took a couple of more pictures. It rained all night last night, but we were lucky that it Posted by JK_Adventures in Justin and Kaela's Adventure | May 27, 2014