- Laos: Si Phan Don===Si Phan Don===
Si Phan Don literally translates to 4000 Islands, and is an unmissable stop in SE Asia. This was a real highlight of my trip!
The islands are scattered around the vast, wide open currents of the Meekong.
The scenery and Posted by SkinnyFists in Tales from the Transit Lounge | Jan 14, 2015
- Laos: Vang Vieng==Vang Vieng==
Vang Vieng indeed has a notorious reputation; tubing, soft drugs, hard drugs, police corruption, etc.
The focus however should be the scenery.
Someone described it like being in Jurasic Park. It is so easy toimagine Terradactils and Posted by SkinnyFists in Tales from the Transit Lounge | Jan 14, 2015
- Laos: Luang Prabang==Arriving in Laos==
There is nothing to dislike about Laos, and a million reasons to fall in love with it.
Dense jungle like greenery, immersed in a huge complex of water syste Posted by SkinnyFists in Tales from the Transit Lounge | Jan 13, 2015
- Lovely Luang Prabang
We reluctantly dragged ourselves from Thailand after a brief 8 day tease in the Northern portion of the country and headed to Laos. We boarded our small prop plane to Luang Prabang, and wer Posted by tylerandshawna in Tyler and Shawna's Great Adventure | Jan 13, 2015
- Waterfalls are God's gift to the world The Kuang Si Falls in Laos are brilliant! Apparently there's calcium in the water that makes the water so BLUE!!! It was truly breathtaking especially at the time we went with the sun in the correct place... We even got Posted by ushanthi91 in Seriously | Jan 5, 2015
- The journey from Luang Prabang to Vang ViengThis was probably the longest bus ride to date. Spent about 8 hours on the bus. Yeah, outside might be hot, but being in an air conditioned bus where you're sitting still makes you very cold.
However as usual Laos Posted by ushanthi91 in Seriously | Jan 5, 2015
- Herbal Whisky in Luang PrabangArrived at Luang Prabang. Went for a bike ride today in order to visit a Wat Xiang Thong temple. Scary with the crazy traffic - but still alive.
On the way back to the hotel on our bikes, we made Posted by ushanthi91 in Seriously | Jan 5, 2015
- Elephants along the Me Kong
Laos is too amazingly beautiful.
Posted by ushanthi91 in Seriously | Jan 5, 2015
- Chugging along slowly in the Me Kong RiverAfter our "tight and bright" Christmas party we had an early start. Spent most of the day on a slow boat along the Me Kong River in order to get to Pak Beng.
Photos do not do the Posted by ushanthi91 in Seriously | Jan 5, 2015
- Road trip # Laos[center][i]To get to 4000 islands from Cambodia, we needed to go back to Phnom Penh and then take a bus.
$27 for the bus,you leave at 7 am and then you will arrive a while later ... I was in my Posted by celia0409 in EYL and keep travelling | Nov 26, 2014
- Easy RidersThere isn’t much to report on our remaining time in Laos, as we’d very happily settled into the Laotian pace of life which has one speed – slow.
It’s not a problem as long as you go with the flow and Posted by katiejason in Katie & Jason's Round the World Trip | Nov 10, 2014
- Welcome to the JungleOur next stop after Cambodia was to Laos, a country we knew very little about due to the lack of information online about its geography, things to see and do, where to stay, accessible roads etc. [float=right][img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/664247 Posted by katiejason in Katie & Jason's Round the World Trip | Nov 7, 2014
- Monkeying around!Whoa! What!? Is this real? Am I really doing this? Amaziiiiinnnnggggg! Look at that. I'm going to CRASH!
This is what was going through my head as I zip lined through a gap in the jungle canopy. Below me a valley Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Oct 27, 2014
- Cruising the MekongAs Sarah is stuck in a really good book I'm going to write back to back blogs. On Tuesday morning a colourful tuk tuk picked us up at 7am Laos time (7:10am) and absolutely hammered it for 20 mins to Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Oct 27, 2014
- Luang Prabang's Elephants and WaterfallsLoving our time in chilled out Laos! We flew into Luang Prabang after dark on Friday evening so our first real experience of it was a leisurely Saturday breakfast on the banks of the Mekong. Leisurely mainly because our guest Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Oct 22, 2014
- Slow boat to ThailandOn Tuesday, got up early to have breakfast and head to the pier outside town to catch the slow boat along the Mekong as far as Pak Beng, which is the halfway stop on the way to the Thai border. Posted by liamwimbo in Cambodia_Laos | Sep 21, 2014
- A sleepy capital and a little slice of paradise
Arrived early evening in Vientiane and headed out to dinner. Although it has a reputation as being a quiet place, the riverfront area was quite lively. We tried a Belgian Beer bar for moules and frites but they had run Posted by liamwimbo in Cambodia_Laos | Sep 17, 2014
- The Tha Khek Loop
"The Loop" is a three to four-day motorbike journey outside of Tha Khek, Laos. Getting into town, we wasted no time trying to find information about the conditions of the road in the wet Posted by AbbyAndMike in Wandering Dreamers | Aug 18, 2014
- From Laos with Love Greetings from "It's so hot I want to die"-Luang Prabang!
I arrived yesterday morning via mini plane from Bangkok and was greated by jungly mountains, a brown Mekong river and a smiling offi Posted by AndreaLed in Andrea's Trip Around the World | Aug 16, 2014
- Into the WetI was dropped off the Salavan bus at small village near the Tad-Lo waterfalls. After some wandering around I found a bungalow by the river with a water-view that I may not repeat on this trip.
Yesterday I biked about 8km Posted by grasshopper in Singapore to London Overland | Jul 24, 2014
- The Night the Earth MovedI had a choice when leaving Vientiane: a day bus to my intended destination of Pakse arriving ostensibly at 10pm; a day bus to a closer town; or a night bus to Pakse. I chose my usual last resort - Posted by grasshopper in Singapore to London Overland | Jul 24, 2014
- French ConnectionWhen the tsongkaeo driver dropped us off in the city centre of Vientiane, I asked him what street we were on, seeing as street signs in Laos are generally in Lao. He looked at me like I was stupid and Posted by grasshopper in Singapore to London Overland | Jul 24, 2014
- Epic on a BusToday was a Not So Hot Day. In other words, a Wet Day. Hosed down overnight.
It was also the day I moved on from Luang Prabang to the capital Vientiane. In the absence of the now-deceased boat service, I caught Posted by grasshopper in Singapore to London Overland | Jul 18, 2014
- Swimming With ElephantsWhen I went to the Singapore Zoo they had elephant rides. I didn’t bother with the queues but thought it would be neat to ride an elephant.
Here in Luang Prabang there is an array of tour offices offering a selection Posted by grasshopper in Singapore to London Overland | Jul 18, 2014
- Luang PrabangLuang Prabang is at the end of line, metaphorically speaking when it comes to long-distance public boat transport in Laos. The service down to the capital Vientiane ended just last year and south of Vientiane sometime before that.
My first impression Posted by grasshopper in Singapore to London Overland | Jul 18, 2014