- Goodbye MalawiSo in a few hours I'll be at the aiport to take a flight back to Canada. It has been a great time in Malawi and valuable learning experience. To summarize some of the things that I have done / Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Apr 5, 2013
- What I have Been Working OnSo if you're been reading my blog you might be thinking "wow this analyst has doesn't actually do any work!" So this post is dedicated to the work I've been doing. The goal of my mandate is to help the Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Apr 4, 2013
- Day Trip to MulanjeOn Sunday Sameer, Kristina, and Lawrence (the person who runs the organization I'm working with) took a day trip out to Mulanje. Mulanje is about a 1 hour drive from Blantyre and probably most well known for being the town Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Apr 3, 2013
- Good FridayWe had a four day weekend for Easter. On Good Friday I was sitting the lodge and heard singing. So I ran out to the street (which is maybe 80 meters away) and there is a huge crowd of a Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Apr 2, 2013
- My Visit to a Private Religious HospitalEarlier in the week I had a running nose, felt very tired, and a bit weak. On Wednesday I felt too tired to go to work so I slept in the morning before meeting Alice from WUSC, Sameer, Cynthia and Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Mar 29, 2013
- Adventures at Zomba Plateau and Why Not to Walk at NightWhen people say don't go out at night on foot in Malawi, especially if you're alone, foreign, and female, listen to them.
Last Saturday I decided to take a day trip to hike around the Zomba Plateau. However unlike all the Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Mar 29, 2013
- Being A ForeignerFor the past two days I've walked around Blantyre city - to the markets, some restaurants, and a grocery store. I've also been getting a bit lost as there are few street signs. People here are very curious about me Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Mar 21, 2013
- Things that are different and confuse meI got back into Blantyre last night and am glad to be back. We held our strategic planning workshop Monday and Tuesday in Lilongwe which I would say went reasonably well given the time we had to prepare for it. Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Mar 20, 2013
- A crazy weekThis week I was in 5 cities in Malawi, had 18 meetings with stakeholders for my organization. We have a two day workshop on Monday and Tuesday which I'll need to prepare for over the weekend. Where I've been this Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Mar 15, 2013
- Safari WeekendLast weekend Winnie, Pippa, and I went on a trip to Majete Wildlife Reserve. It was two days, all inclusive, and we participated in a afternoon/evening game drive, morning walk, boat ride, and morning game drive. I am very tanned Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Mar 14, 2013
- OrientationOn Tuesday Winnie and I were picked up to go to the WUSC office for orientation. There we met Alice (Program Co-ordinator) and Jacob (Country Director). We learned a bit more about our mandates and about Malawi - apparently there Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Mar 7, 2013
- Landed in MalawiLanded on Sunday and was definitely happy to be off the plane, especially with a seat like this from Ethiopia to Congo:
Those are my legs, the window on the right, and the blue carriage on th Posted by Analyst in Analyst in Malawi | Mar 4, 2013
Malawiiiiiiii! The sixth country visited during our tour through Southern Africa was the small and I suspect rarely heard of nation of Malawi. Malawi is a landlocked country in Southern Africa located between Zambia and Tanzania on the conventio Posted by Liamps in Liam's Globo trip | Feb 17, 2013
- Mzuzu, Ruware, Nkotakota and south to ZombaOur plan is to head north and to do this we take a taxi in the morning inland to Mzuzu, and take a flatbed truck for the 4 hour journey through stunning hillsides and valleys to the lakeside town of Posted by bumble_bee in Africa trip | Oct 21, 2012
- Nkhata Bay, Chizumulu and Likoma islands on Lake MalawiAlready we seem to be more on a backpacker trail here, as the place is full of young people. We take a Taxi to the Axa Luxury Bus terminal, where tickets come on sale at 11:00 precisely, and not Posted by bumble_bee in Africa trip | Oct 21, 2012
- Crossing the border to Malawin the morning we look for Forex to buy some Malawi Kwatcha, but come away empty handed. We find a shared taxi to take us to the border, and before long are on our way. Within 30 minutes Posted by bumble_bee in Africa trip | Oct 21, 2012
- Goodbye KCHToday I said goodbye to everyone at KCH. I have to admit, it was really difficult. For all the complaining I did on this blog, I hope I have also made clear to you guys, that the last ten weeks Posted by JonaWalk in Jona's Travel Blog | Sep 17, 2012
- Rules For Working in an African HospitalRule 1: If it doesn't fit, you are not using enough tape.
Corollary: If it still doesn't fit you are not trying hard enough.
Rule 2: Out of stock often means, lost at the bottom of a drawer.
Corollary 1: There will Posted by JonaWalk in Jona's Travel Blog | Sep 16, 2012
- So Much To GainThe reason I love it here so much, aside from of course that it is so much fun, is because there is so much to change and therefore so much to gain. You can work in a hospital in the Posted by JonaWalk in Jona's Travel Blog | Sep 12, 2012
- Tales From KamuzuSterile?
This story is probably only interesting to my fellow medical interns, but one of the things that sometimes annoys me here is their sterile procedures. Not in the operating room, as I said earlier that is just really strange, but Posted by JonaWalk in Jona's Travel Blog | Sep 3, 2012
- Goodbye Lake MalawiThis weekend I went to Cape McClear another nice place on beautiful Lake Malawi. Since ten of us wanted to go, we rented a van, with driver, which was an adventure. It was quite hilarious. We had been told that Posted by JonaWalk in Jona's Travel Blog | Sep 2, 2012
- At Lake MalawiWe reach the blue Lake Malawi
Chizi Island sunsets!!
We´re pretty happy to be here!
[img=http: Posted by bumble_bee in Africa trip | Sep 13, 2012
- Obstetrics and GynaecologyThis week I started in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. I was supposed to do about half my internship there, but I loved pediatrics too much... So i'll settle for three weeks. The thing is that I am still doing the CPAP Posted by JonaWalk in Jona's Travel Blog | Aug 29, 2012
- Stuff Goes MissingSo just another quick tale from my lovely hospital. Stuff here goes missing, A LOT. Sometimes it's stuff that you can imagine people would steal. For instance, I am fast becoming the hospital drug dealer, and Renny the pharmacist and Posted by JonaWalk in Jona's Travel Blog | Aug 20, 2012
- ZambiaAs I start this blog entry, I am sitting on my jitenge (brightly colored African cloth) overlooking a beautiful Luangwa river watching a group of bathing hippos. Just 100m further along the bank are two sun bathing crocodiles.
Here follows a Posted by JonaWalk in Jona's Travel Blog | Aug 19, 2012