- TulumTulum has overdeveloped luxury at the beach (foreign-owned boutique resorts) close to underdevloped poverty in the town (old Beatles everywhere, corrugated iron roofed houses), as well as a bit of in between (for people like us!). Our night "security" gua Posted by NiamhC in 5 weeks in Central America | Mar 10, 2016
- Slouching towards spring in San Miguel[b][center]Not to complain for one minute about our blue skies and vivid colours, but until very recently, our travels though the mountains have kept us in daytime temperatures that have required a sweater and/or a coat. We both brought just Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 8, 2016
- Ensconced in traditional Mexico already...
A sign of globalisation in our Tulum accommodation. Posted by NiamhC in 5 weeks in Central America | Mar 8, 2016
- Week 10 Yucatan This should have been posted in the week before as it occurred on Sunday the 28th February; but since we thought it was just a tale we didn't investigate it further until we saw it in the paper.
Some residents helped Posted by OhUiginn in Mexico 2016 | Mar 8, 2016
- Week ten in the YucatanWe heard via a friend that a whale had beached itself in Progreso.....but we hadn't seen anything. Earlier in the week we had seen a dolphin beached near our entrada but thought that things must have gotten grossly exaggerated. Posted by hermanita in Winter 2015-16 | Mar 8, 2016
- Hello. It's me (us). In San Miguel de Allende with Adele.[center][b]Well, now we're in San Miguel. Adele has been with us the entire time we've been in Mexico. She's everywhere. Markets. Cafes. The OXXO stores. Adele's inimitable voice and lyrics have followed us for the past two and a Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 4, 2016
- Week 9 in Yucatan This week was quieter than most weeks.
The weekly B&S had to be moved indoors this week as rain started just as everyone was arriving.
That evening 30 ladies wer Posted by OhUiginn in Mexico 2016 | Mar 1, 2016
- What millions of Monarch butterflies look like...[center][b]I wish I could show you, but there's just no way to capture on film our real-life experience of being surrounded by millions of butterflies. The good news is the Monarch butterflies are rebounding, after a number of years of Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Feb 29, 2016
- Week nine in the Yucatan....Well, my sister Vannin and her husband David....our partners in crime for the last eight weeks ...have gone back to Canada....boo hoo. They got back home just before the snow dump and then freezing rain...so I guess that's good?
Tuesday was Posted by hermanita in Winter 2015-16 | Feb 29, 2016
- Driving the scenic 120 through the Sierra Gordas[center][b]Actually, "scenic" does not begin to describe the road to Jalpan and through the Sierra Gordas to the city of Queretero. It is jaw-droppingly beautiful, with a very real danger that you could drive right off the road admiring the Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Feb 26, 2016
- Road Trip Mexico
CANCUN - PLAYA DEL CARMEN - TULUM - VALLADOLID - CHICHEN ITZA - MERIDA - PALENQUE - SAN ANGUSTINILLO - MAZUNTE - PUERTO ESCONDIDO - MEXICO CITY
Must Do in Mexic Posted by celia0409 in EYL and keep travelling | Feb 24, 2016
- The surreal, unreal vision of the brilliant Edward James[center][b]Salvador Dali said of Mexico - "I will not go again to a country that is even more surreal than my paintings". The more we travel through Mexico, the more we understand Dali's sentiment. We drove to Xilitla to see Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Feb 24, 2016
- Week 8 in the Yucatan With Dara back on the scene our week became very busy:
With Stitch and Bitch on Wednesday followed by the last Bingo Fundraiser for the Foodbank and the Muelle Market on Thursday morning followed by Manuels annual pig roast at Posted by OhUiginn in Mexico 2016 | Feb 23, 2016
- Week 8 in the Yucatan Hard to try and make this week short but I will try and be concise
Week 8 Dara is back
With Dara back on the scene our week became very busy:
With Stitch and Bitch on Wednesday followed by the last Posted by OhUiginn in Mexico 2016 | Feb 23, 2016
- Week eight in the Yucatan...This week started out with a sad incident......Ruffo was chasing a car down our little road and he was hit. I heard the crying and ran out to see which dog it was...figuring it had to be him. Loose dogs Posted by hermanita in Winter 2015-16 | Feb 22, 2016
- Tepoztlán Carnival, 2016On the brink of a new decade. Couldn't have been clearer as I sauntered down the broken sidewalk on the way to the carnival in Tepoztlán and some guys in an SUV could be heard saying in Spanish: "check out Posted by UnMejorHOY in Rice and Beans, Alternative Travel | Feb 22, 2016
- From love in the ruins to climbing into thin air[center][b]Let it be noted that we drove out of Mexico City during rush hour on a Thursday, not only without mishap but without getting lost. Not once did we stop at a gas station, or argue over directions. We simply Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Feb 20, 2016
- ITS 2016 AND WE ARE BACK IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN===After a month in Victoria and with lots of visits with friends and family we say goodbye to everyone, including our newest member, great nephew Alfie.===
===Arriving back in Play Posted by keithandhelen in Wander With Keith and Helen | Feb 17, 2016
- No more museums, please - you're killing us[b]We have hit the museum tipping point in Mexico City. For over a week we have set out, map in hand, to discover as much of the city as possible, and much of that discovery has been through museums. Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Feb 16, 2016
- 7th week in Paradise For some reason Dara feels the need to return home for a week. Two of our kids are not there so I don't see what the draw is. Meeting with the accountant I would think can wait until Posted by OhUiginn in Mexico 2016 | Feb 16, 2016
- Week 7 in the YucatanTuesday, as school was cancelled for Carnival, Vannin and I decided to take one of the house tours offered by the Merida English Library (MEL).
The tour starts out in the garden of the library, with a 30-45 minute introduction to Posted by hermanita in Winter 2015-16 | Feb 15, 2016
- Love, hate, anguish,loss and hope[center][b]We've been here one week, and experienced every emotion known to humankind. Each day brings brand new experiences and demands a high level of energy to take it all in. What the street life does not provide, the museums offer Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Feb 14, 2016
- Back to Plan AJust sit right back and you'll hear a tale
a tale of a fateful trip,
that started from this tropic port,
aboard this tiny ship.
We were told that the company that cancelled the cruise yesterday might send out a smaller boat today if Posted by backtomexico in Back to Mexico | Feb 13, 2016
- MexicoLanding back in Cancun at the same time as five other flights was not ideal for customs and immigration, especially when you had planned to be on the last bus of the night to Playa del Carmen, which was leaving Posted by TakeOnTheWorld in Central American Adventures | Feb 13, 2016
- The city of my dreams and nightmares is Mexico City...Carlos said it better than I'm about to...Mexico City seduces and repels, and defies description or easy analysis. I could go on about the sickening class divide, the disparity of riches, the magnificence of public spaces, the cultural and historical Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Feb 12, 2016