- STREET MURALS-------A LONGSTANDING MEXICAN TRADITION===Mexico has a long standing tradition of using murals for social and political scenes dating back to the early Mayan civilizations and revitalized after the Mexican revolution. Today in Playa del Carmen the tradition continues. As we wandered Posted by keithandhelen in Wander With Keith and Helen | Mar 30, 2015
- Xalapa: hot peppers, cool mistAfter almost a month in the Yucatan's sweltering heat and humidity, we were both craving cooler temperatures and believe it or not...rain. We chose to stay in Xalapa (prounounced - ha-la-pa) to break the drive on our way to San Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 28, 2015
- Tlacotalpan: The "unknown" UNESCO World Heritage site[center][/center]
We read about this little town, and thought it sounded perfect. Situated on a river near the Gulf of Mexico, and just south of the bustle of steamy Veracruz, it seemed i Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 25, 2015
- Week 12Sunset picture at Andrea's"last" dinner...best sunset this winter!
Off to Rio Lagartos....a very small town about 3 hours east of Progreso to see flamingos and let Len try his hand at fishing Posted by hermanita in Winter 2015 | Mar 24, 2015
- WEEK 12 Hard to believe it is now 3 months since we came down to sunny warm Yucatan. I have been taking it easy this week with very little activity so as to be relaxed when I head into the interior. Posted by OhUiginn in Mexico 2015 | Mar 24, 2015
- Palenque: why you must goYou'll get to do this. Like tourists propping up the Leaning Tower of Pisa, this is hardly an original pose, but Stephen made me do it. "Go stand in the middle of that plant."
[center][/cen Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 22, 2015
- Birding Mexico Day 1Hi all,
I just recently got back from Mexico with my whole family, 16 of us! We stayed at a really nice resort called Barcelo Maya Palace. About an hour south of Cancun. When we first landed I saw two Turkey Posted by birder1 in Birding Like Mad! | Mar 22, 2015
- Road trip to Palenque, Mexican-styleThings are heating up in Chiapas again. There were plenty of protests and roadblocks when we were in Chiapas three weeks ago, but they did not feel like a direct threat to us. We were unaware at the time Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 22, 2015
- Day at Sea and Formal Night.Started the day photographing the sunrise. Massive clouds blanketed the horizon and overhead there were layers of different cloud types. Because the sun didn't rise until 07:24, I had a late breakfast and arrived in the cabin just Posted by greynomadm in 2015-01 Ruby Princess | Mar 19, 2015
- Magic Day In Puerto VallartaWe were treated to another beautiful sunrise as the ship sailed into the port. After a brief breakfast we prepared for our Shore Excursion. We assembled in the Wheelhouse Bar and were quickly allocated the standard coach worth Posted by greynomadm in 2015-01 Ruby Princess | Mar 18, 2015
- Swimming with sea turtles: just another day at the beach[center][/center]
I wanted to finish off our Tulum adventures, as we leave tomorrow for an overnight stop in Chetumal (right on the Be Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 18, 2015
- Third Sea Day off MexicoManaged to upload yesterday's posts this morning despite the link dropping out twice. I've been frugal with my Internet use and now have some flexibility and can afford to restart the upload. The sunrise was scheduled for 06:50 Posted by greynomadm in 2015-01 Ruby Princess | Mar 18, 2015
- WEEK 11At times I can't believe we have been here this long and other times it seems I have been here for ages. My stay on the beach is fast approaching the end. Preparations are being done by Alexis as to Posted by OhUiginn in Mexico 2015 | Mar 17, 2015
- Tulum: A Tale of Two TownsAs I mentioned in my last blog posting, Tulum has three distinct areas: the ruins, the town and the beach. Ruins - self-explanatory. The town - straddling the highway, and located about 3 km. from the beach. Those without cars Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 17, 2015
- At Sea off the Mexican CoastAt 05:30 this morning I managed to upload my postings for the past few days. I was further rewarded by a beautiful sunrise this morning at 06:27. Shared a breakfast with Jenny and then sat outside the Future Posted by greynomadm in 2015-01 Ruby Princess | Mar 17, 2015
- Hogging the shade in Tulum[center][/center]
The beach at Tulum is just as advertised - water fans out from the palest turquoise to the deepest marine blue. The pale beige (it's not white) sand really is the textur Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 15, 2015
- Tulum: between a rock and a hard place[center][/center]
Tulum is considered by some to be a vortex - a mystical, magical blend of age-old ruins and New Age hippies. After two days here, we are starting to feel "the vibe". Actua Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 12, 2015
- WEEK 10 Dara left bright and early with our friendly reliable driver Gustavo! I felt mixed emotions when he departed! Believe it or not, I find it hard to express my feelings! I am not sure how I feel about him gone Posted by OhUiginn in Mexico 2015 | Mar 11, 2015
- Week 10Dara's birthday party was a great "pig fest"...literally, the BBQ is in the shape of a piggy! All kinds of appetizers, steaks from Costco, roasted beets and carrots, home made cabbage rolls and Tres Leches cake for dessert, omg.
[img=http://photos.travel Posted by hermanita in Winter 2015 | Mar 10, 2015
- This Side of ParadiseAs my half-opened eyes blinked away the dust of the morning, I notice Andrea is up rushing
around rather busily. She sees me stretch my yawning arms and says, "Hurry up! We're going to be late!"
"Late for what?", I said. Posted by woa in GandaTravel 2014-2015 | Mar 9, 2015
- The Yucatan: From ruins to roseate spoonbills[center][/center]
While we were staying in Progreso, one of our intended day trips were the ruins at Uxmal, about one and a half hours drive away. Friends had told us about them, I had re Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 8, 2015
- FEBRUARY FUN BACK IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN===Back in Playa del Carmen our exciting (?) life continues. There is always something going on from great international festivals like the BPM (Beats Per Minute) to little events like the birthday party our neighbour held for his wife. Posted by keithandhelen in Wander With Keith and Helen | Mar 8, 2015
- Mexico's Colonial Heartland, North of Mexico City
==Day 1 & 2 – Mexico City, Tula, and Queretaro ==
We arrived into Mexico City and stayed overnight at a hotel near the airport. The next day we drove about 1.5 hours to Tula where w Posted by janejoe in Mexico's Colonial Heartland | Mar 7, 2015
- When taking the road less travelled backfiresOur son Dan commented once that we don't seem to have a plan for life. Not sure if that observation was spawned by my many jobs, or our many moves, but he has a point.
Most of this trip has been Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 6, 2015
- The view from the other seat.Stephen here, blogging my thoughts on our Mexican adventure.
I started the journey reading Ted Simon’s Jupiter’s Travels, who in the early 1970s travelled the world for 4 years riding a Triu Posted by millerburr in Leaving Ourselves Behind | Mar 4, 2015