- Final bitsWe are back in Yangon now after about an hour flight from Sittwe Friday night. Had a great day yesterday around the city. It is so easy to get around as there are taxis everywhere and it costs Posted by madpax in Ramble On... | Mar 4, 2017
- Don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello....We arrived in Mrauk U after a short flight from Ngapali to Sittwe and then 3 hours by car. The contrast couldn't be any greater. Mrauk U sees few tourists - Kelsey said the book says about 5000 Posted by madpax in Ramble On... | Mar 2, 2017
- A good day Went to the market in Thandwe this morning and was the largest we've seen so far. We were the only tourists in sight which was nice. Lots of dried fish and every manner of goods you can imagine. Posted by madpax in Ramble On... | Feb 27, 2017
- Pindaya and Ngapali BeachWe spent our last day in the Inle Lake area visiting a cave outside of Pindaya which is about 2 hours drive each way. The cave houses over 8000 Buddhas, most of which have been put there fairly recently Posted by madpax in Ramble On... | Feb 26, 2017
- Inle LakeWe spent Sunday in Mandalay seeing a few sites. We went to the U Bein bridge - the longest teak bridge in the world at about 1400 meters and walked around some. Also saw the gold pounders district Posted by madpax in Ramble On... | Feb 22, 2017
- The way to MandalayWe spent our last day in Bagan on scooters again. Those little things were a blast. And at $7usd for a whole day rental, one just can't go wrong. We managed to cover a fair amount of Posted by madpax in Ramble On... | Feb 19, 2017
- Exploring Myanmar by TrainBeing a big fan of railways and having a rule to travel by rail as much as possible I couldn't wait to come to Myanmar. And I wasn't disappointed.
Rail Network in Myan Posted by dima.safr in Roaming the world | Feb 19, 2017
- Motorbike Trekking in Shan State - Myanmar
[[http://roaming-the-world.travellerspoint.com/42/|More on our Myanmar trip]]
Most of the village trekking in separatist Shan State of Myanmar is done out of Hsipaw. We heard that Posted by dima.safr in Roaming the world | Feb 18, 2017
- BaganWe left Yangon at 8pm on an overnight bus to Bagan that took 9 hours. The bus itself was pretty nice and stopped a couple of times along the way but 9 hours of sitting after so recently having Posted by madpax in Ramble On... | Feb 17, 2017
- 3 weeks in Myanmar - Independent backpackingThis is my 3 week itinerary around Myanmar. We aimed to fit as many as possible sites which provide for variety of activities, while deliberately avoiding beaches (this because we had plenty of that on Tiaman island.)
[map=993443 lat=19.91967448629387 Posted by dima.safr in Roaming the world | Feb 17, 2017
- We've arrivedJust a quick note to say we've arrived in Yangon and are at our hotel. It is just after midnight here. About 30 hours of airports is enough for a while. It's still about 80 degrees out Posted by madpax in Ramble On... | Feb 15, 2017
- Irrawaddy Cruise to Mandalay - Friday, 27 January 2017Up very early and down to breakfast at 6.30 am as our bags had to be out by 7.15 am. I had a pretty good night's sleep but my voice is just about gone and it hurts a lot Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 28, 2017
- Mingun - Mandalay - Amarapura - Thursday, 26 January 2017I had a dreadful night's sleep. Hardly slept at all with a raging sore throat and coughing and a temperature. So as we are going to the Teak Bridge at Amarapura this afternoon, I decided to forego the Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 27, 2017
- Sagaing to Inwa (Ava) - Wednesday, 25 January 2017We docked in Sagaing this morning and it was truly a wonderful sight. Two bridges welcomed us and then rows and rows of pagodas and stupas, shining in the morning sun. This looks like quite a large town.
[center][img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/5 Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 26, 2017
- Bagan to Yandabo - Tuesday, 24 January 2017On 24 February 1826, the peace treaty of the first Anglo-Burmese War was signed at Yandabo. Today it is a picituresque village famous for its pottery. During our walking tour of the village, we had the opportunity to Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 25, 2017
- Bagan to the middle of the Irrawaddy,Monday, 23 January 2017We had a later start to the day today with breakfast commencing at 7.30 am instead of 7. It was good to have a relaxed morning after yesterday's HUGE day.
At 9.30 am we went ashore for a horse cart Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 23, 2017
- Bagan - Sunday, 22 January 2017The alarm was set for 4.30 am today so I could participate in giving alms to the monks at a local monastery. I had trouble going to sleep and seemed to be awake all night waiting for the alarm Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 22, 2017
- Salay to Bagan - Saturday, 21 January 2017By the time we woke this morning, we were already sailing. We will be docking at Salay in time to participate in a walking tour of the village at 9 am. Salay was founded in the 13th century Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 21, 2017
- Magwe - Friday, 20 January 2017We awoke this morning at 6am and to our surprise we were sailing. This ship doesn't sail at night because of all the sandbars in the river, however, they had the big spotlight on and away we went without Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 20, 2017
- Thayetmyo - Thursday, 19 January 2017[center][/center]
We were the first group off the ship this morning for our visit to the town of Thayetmyo. Our group is know as the A Team and we are getting a reputation of being Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 19, 2017
- Pyay (Prome) to Sri Ksetra - Wednesday, 18 January 2017Scenic Aura Cabin 302
Had a great sleep in a very comfortable bed. Lovely big soft pillows. There are a couple of barges tied up alongside the Scenic Aura and during the night I heard 12 bells ring out, Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 19, 2017
- Yangon to Pyay (Prome) - Tuesday, 17 January 2017Scenic Aura Cabin 302
Today we left Yangon on a Scenic bus bound for Pyay, where we boarded the Scenic Aura at about 4.30 pm. We left Yangon at 8.45 am on the most lavish bus I have ever been Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 18, 2017
- Yangon, Myanmar - Monday, 16 January 2017Sule Shangri-La Hotel - Room 2207
The holiday is over - now adhering to a timetable begins!
At 8.30 am we met in the foyer, about 36 of us, for the short bus ride to the wharf to catch the ferry to Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 17, 2017
- Yangon, Myanmar - Sunday, 15 January 2017We both had a great night's sleep - about 10 hours of it! And the bed and pillows are divine.
After breakfast, we met the girls in the foyer and after perusing a local map given to us by reception, we Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 15, 2017
- Canberra/Singapore/Yangon - Saturday, 14 January 2017Sule Shangri-La Hotel - Room 2207 - on the top floor.
We boarded on time and were escorted to our seats. We think they are the best seats in the plane, bar First Class! We are on the right hand Posted by gaddingabout in Mystical Irrawaddy | Jan 14, 2017