- Day 152 - 154 Greymouth, Lewis Pass & Hanmer Springs
We woke up in Hokitika and reviewed what we had planned for the next few days. We realised that although Arthur's Pass was recommended to us and, by guidebook page space, would be more s Posted by vincerb in Becky is Backpacking | Mar 15, 2014
- Westland. Home to a Sock Machine Museum and so much more...Westland, which also includes glacier country, has a tiny population - just 32,000 - which accounts for less than 1% of NZ's total. From the reading available on the area you get a sense that Westlanders are a pretty resilient Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 15, 2014
- Whanganui River TripIn New Zealand, the DOC (Department of Conservation) which takes care of all the hiking trails, forests, huts, etc... have chosen 9 hiking trails and called them the 9 Great Walks of New Zealand. Most of these hikes take a Posted by manolo84 in Around The World in 365 days | Mar 14, 2014
- In search of glacial white*s (*colour by dulux)The drive to glacier country was pretty bleak at times. The weather had closed in (as is often the case in this part of New Zealand) and there were obvious signs just how beaten the west coast can get... windswept Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 14, 2014
- Summertime...Hold onto your hats, folks- this one’s set to be a long’un.
I’ve been ever so slack with my writing recently, and therefore have accrued quite a backlog of bit ands bobs jotted in a ratty climbing guide, dot points Posted by lucyfbaird in You Can't Have a Favourite Place... | Mar 14, 2014
- Day 149 - 151 Mt Cook, Wanaka & Hokitika
View of Mt Cook from Peters Lookout
The view of Mt Cook from the holiday park when we arrived in the evening w Posted by vincerb in Becky is Backpacking | Mar 13, 2014
- RiwakaThe sound of the alarm woke us at 7, odd that having to set an alarm on holiday. But it is well worth it, as we were off to walk a stretch of the Abel Tasman trail, the most Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 13, 2014
- Murchison to RiwakiAfter a lovely breakfast , we said Goodbye to Merve and Shirley, our hosts at Murchison Lodge. Before leaving Murchison we visited the Buller swing bridge , which is the longest in New Zealand at 110m.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/572840/90_4 Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 12, 2014
- 9' of AwesomeFirst stop, sea lion beach...
At first there were none, and we had limited time before our next tour, so we were giving up hope and turning back, when all of a sudden we see...
[img=ht Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Mar 11, 2014
- Day 145-148 Milford Sound & Queenstown
On my Birthday we drove to Milford Sound. The road can take 2hrs but we stopped at various scenic points to ta Posted by vincerb in Becky is Backpacking | Mar 11, 2014
- Throwing off our backpacker shackles in ArrowtownWe finally made it out of Manapouri, and what had been a very comfortable campsite, and headed north to Arrowtown just outside of Queenstown.
[i]Old truck en rou Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 11, 2014
- Mighty Milford SoundSo, the second of our Sounds, and we were keen to see how they compared, as Milford Sound is far more visited and renowned.
The drive to Milford was spectacular and is considered to be one of the world's greatest drives. Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 11, 2014
- Fond Farewell to New ZealandWell it's now 5.00am Wednesday 12 March in NZ and we are just sipping our last flat white whilst sitting in the departure lounge at Auckland Airport. We're not feeling too bright but that's due to the fact that we Posted by FandC in Antipodean Antics | Mar 11, 2014
- MurchisonToday we were staying put and wanted to explore the area. Shirley & Merve kindly lent us their mountain bikes, so after one of their great breakfasts we were off biking up the nearby valley. Out route took Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 11, 2014
- Hanmer Springs to MurchisonWell, the day had an interesting start. During the course of the night John got up to answer the nocturnal call of nature, only to discover to his alarm that he couldn't get into the bathroom. No matter how many Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 10, 2014
- Adrenlin avoidance and the Sound of silenceThe drive to Queenstown was windy... and windy. The gusts during the night hadn't eased and it was blowing a fair hooley.
Along the way we bought tonnes of fru Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 10, 2014
- Looking for Bilbo and the HobbitsBeing a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings (the books, the movies a bit less), I wasn't going to spend almost two months in New Zealand without seeing nothing of the movies stages, where some of the scenes Posted by manolo84 in Around The World in 365 days | Mar 10, 2014
- Auckland day 2We are lucky that we could experience the Island yesterday in spite of Emilia's fever. She was strong and she needs to - it's still a few days ahead of us.
We got up knowing that we have to return the Posted by Minuano in AU & NZ | Mar 10, 2014
- Rivers shallow, mountains high... an amazing start to NZAfter stocking up the camper with provisions we were ready for road trip... what was it Cookie....?
...ah that's it - number 4 ;)
So, we have a campervan for Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 10, 2014
- Penguins. Times two.What are we doing this afternoon we wondered as we headed into town...after a quick stop at the information center, we'd decided and booked a penguin tour!
We drove out to the Otago Peninsula, on a very narrow winding road, Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Mar 9, 2014
- Chch: A CBD in tatters but surprises around every cornerIt was only a short three hour hop from Melbourne to Christchurch, but we may as well have flown from the UK, the impact the travelling had on us...
We took off close to midnight but it was too short a Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 9, 2014
- Mount Cook Village to Hanmer SpringsI woke before the alarm, keen to see if the sky was clear, could I see the mountain tops too, had the sun risen yet? It's so easy to jump out of bed when one wants to get on Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 9, 2014
- Mount Cook" Awesome " is a rather overused word here but today truly lived up to it. We awoke to a sunny morning and looked forward to exploring the area.
[i]The avalanche strea Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 8, 2014
- Milford Lodge to Milford SoundWe awoke to a sunny morning, unusual for the area which boasts more rain than anywhere else in New Zealand. We were due to join a boat in the afternoon for an overnight cruise in the Sound so we decided Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 4, 2014
- Day 142 - 144 The Catlins, Curio Bay & Invercargill
On the drive from Dunedin to the Catlins the weather improved enough for us to stop at Matai & Horseshoe fal Posted by vincerb in Becky is Backpacking | Mar 8, 2014