- Waltzing Matilda (or Helen!) returns to Oz and my NZ finale.Sydney 20th feb - 26th feb 2014
I returned to Australia for 6 days to catch up with friends I didn't have the chance to see while I was there previously. My destination was Sydney and I was looking forward to Posted by HelenHeneghan in Helen goes round the world! | Apr 3, 2014
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing... NZ's greatest one-day walkFrom Taupo, we headed south to Turangi in readiness to tackle the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
Cute church en route
[img=http://photos.tr Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Apr 3, 2014
- Day 20 - 31st MarchWe had a 13:30 crossing booked, and had to be at the ferry port n Wellington by 12:30, so a very easy morning, packing (using the previously agreed protocol), and a quick photo-op with Mike
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/661286/1966052_46..64 Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 3, 2014
- The Never-Ending DayThe Never Ending Day
There were some major fails followed by some major successes throughout our remaining flights. Fail #1: My “entertainment” system was dysfunctional and no amount of tapping or hitting resolved the issue- trust me, I tried. Fail #1 Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | Apr 2, 2014
- Lord of the Rings in NZLord of the Rings settings: If you're not into the movies or books, you can skip this post :)
Since the entirety of the Lord of the Rings movies were filmed in New Zealand, there's a lot of places you Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Apr 2, 2014
- A land which steams, spits, spouts & smells like egg sarnies[Warning: Bit of a long one this, sorry... lots to write about! You might want to stick the kettle on.]
The centre of New Zealand's North Island is a land which, quite literally, smoulders.
We stayed in Rotorua before heading a Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Apr 2, 2014
- Day 19 - 30th MarchEasy morning, late breakfast, catch up with emails and other admin stuff, including the Thompsons (Katrina is having her hair cut off this week for charity, and I caught her and Mike sorting out the logistics)
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/66 Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 1, 2014
- Day 17 - 28th MarchWe are now into the ritual of leaving a motel room
* Empty the fridge into cool bag - making sure to put the yoghurt into a separate plastic bag to prevent spillage (had to wash the cool bag Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 1, 2014
- Day 16 - 27th MarchNapier is an art-deco city, so after breakfast we went to the art deco centre and watched the DVD [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1931_Hawke's_Bay_earthquake|about the 1931 earthquake]], and the devastation it wreaked on Napier. We hadn't realised that th Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 31, 2014
- Day 15 - 26th MarchLeft Rotorua and drove down to Lake Tapu.
About an 15 mins away from Tapu are the Huka falls, which are on the river draining out of the lake. Great whooshing sounds from the white water, and the falls are impressive Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 31, 2014
- Tongariro Alpine CrossingAfter leaving Taupo we headed to a campsite where we would set off on the famous Tongariro Alpine Crossing walk. A popular walk in the North Island across active volcanic areas. In 2012 one of the volcanoes, Te Mari, erupted. Posted by Time Well Spent in More Fun Than a Mortgage | Mar 30, 2014
- TaupoTaupo is a city on the largest lake in New Zealand (the size of Singapore) and yet another geothermal area. As such there was a natural hot spring along side the river where we went for a soak. Where as Posted by Time Well Spent in More Fun Than a Mortgage | Mar 30, 2014
- Drive from Coromandel Peninsula to TaupoOn the drive from the Coromandel Peninsula to Taupo the road winds down the coast with some scenic views. We made some stops on the way as it was one of our longer drives. First stop was Karangahake Gorge, an Posted by Time Well Spent in More Fun Than a Mortgage | Mar 30, 2014
- Coromandel PeninsulaWe headed to Coromandel Peninsula next, which is full of amazing beaches. We spent the first night in Coromandel in a scenic campsite.
Posted by Time Well Spent in More Fun Than a Mortgage | Mar 30, 2014
- RotoruaRotorua is a town with a lot of geothermal activity and we could smell the sulphur before we'd even arrived. As a result of this there are many holes in the ground that spew sulphur and bubble mud. As you Posted by Time Well Spent in More Fun Than a Mortgage | Mar 30, 2014
- Lake WaikaremoanaWe picked up the car and set out to do the four day hike around Lake Waikaremoana. We arrived in the evening to spend a night next to the lake before setting off. The weather was beautiful and it looked Posted by Time Well Spent in More Fun Than a Mortgage | Mar 30, 2014
- Hawke's BayWe arrived into Aukland at 4.30 in the morning after a 13 hour flight and 16 hours of time lost meaning having left Friday night it was Sunday morning we arrived. We had a bus leaving for Hastings at 12.30pm Posted by Time Well Spent in More Fun Than a Mortgage | Mar 30, 2014
- A Hobbit's TaleOf course traveling through New Zealand is like traveling through the Lord of the Rings set. You might just happen to drive by Mount Doom and through the Misty Mountains on an ordinary day. But, for an extraordinary Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Mar 30, 2014
- A fraught journey, a force feed and happy timesFrom Havelock North we decided to head to the Bay of Plenty region... so named by James Cook because he and his men found the area to be plentiful in food and resources when they first encountered the area. Conversely, Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 29, 2014
- Hawke's Bay - Art Deco centralIt was only a couple of hours drive to our next base - Havelock North located in Hawke's Bay (another famed wine region). Fancy that.
Our B&B was fabulous, probably second only to the amazing place we stayed at Christmas on Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 27, 2014
- FearlessWhat shall we do in Taupo? We wondered as we drove into town. Lake Taupo is roughly the same size as Singapore...if anyone knows how big Singapore is. Upon checking in at the hostel we noticed a sign Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Mar 26, 2014
- Tramping in the Huxley ValleyHere we are, my last post about New-Zealand, which covers the last big trek I did with my friends. I think I pretty much went through all the major activities and events which occurred during these amazing 7 weeks spent Posted by manolo84 in Around The World in 370 days | Mar 26, 2014
- Mouthwatering cheesecakes and down on the faaaaaarm...We still didn't have our route entirely fixed for the North Island, but from Welington we decided to follow the Kapiti coast road with a brief overnight stop. Nothing to write home about... the airbnb wasn't great - possibly our Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 25, 2014
- More New Zealand radio..After Mike's tip, we picked up Radio NZ National Much more like Radio 4 (in fact this evening they were playing a BBC World Service programme). Thanks for the tip Mike.
(Although I think Leighton Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 25, 2014
- Day 14 - 25th March2 nights ago we decided to visit White Island - [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whakaari_/_White_Island|New Zealand’s most active cone volcano]].
The last eruption here was Aug 2013, although only lasted 10 minutes.
We had to drive to Whakatane first Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 25, 2014