- Windy WellyWe left Kaikoura in a bit of a hurry as the campervan rental company said they would refund us half a day's rental fee if we got back three hours earlier than agreed.
And so we returned to where we started Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 24, 2014
- New Zealand RadioWe have been listening to the radio (AM as we can't seem to get good quality FM in the hire car).
We have listened to quite a bit of Newstalk ZB, and last week heard 2 hours of Leighton Smith, Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 24, 2014
- Day 13 - 24th MarchBreakfast, then 25 minute drive to Wai-o-tapu Thermal Wonderland.
Buy the tickets, then drive about 3 minutes up the road (easily walkable!), and then sit in a little arena around the Lady Knox Geyser. It is named after "Lady Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 24, 2014
- Day 12 - 23rd MarchPicked up some bread from the local shop, made chicken rolls for our lunch, and left the Coromandel. Rain started soon after we left, and became quite persistent as we crossed over the mountain. As soon Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 24, 2014
- Kia Ora & Welcome
The town of Rotorua is the place to go for a Maori culture performance. We decided to go to the [[http://www.mitai.co.nz/|Mitai Village]] where we got to take a walk through the native bu Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Mar 23, 2014
- Wow! Glowworm caves - stunning.Out of sequence, but we called in the [[http://|Waitomo glowworm]] caves by taking a (quite long) diversion on our way to Rotorua.
Fantastic. A totally silent boat ride through black caves where the only light comes from the glowworms hanging Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 22, 2014
- Coromandel to AuklandAnother morning of wall to wall blue was waiting for us when we woke. Packed and farewells said to yet another friendly & helpful motel owner and we were off, driving down the west coast of the Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 21, 2014
- Great friends, lots of wine & jumping out aeroplanes! Rotorua. 12/02/14 - 19/02/14
My trip from Nelson to Rotorua took me via the Cook strait and New Zealand's capital city, Wellington. I had to get a bus from Nelson to Picton and then hop on the ferry. The bus arrived Posted by HelenHeneghan in Helen goes round the world! | Mar 22, 2014
- Tea and Photos1 - why can't you get good quality tea here ? The tea bags in the Motels are ok, but a bit weak compared to the Assam tea we like in the UK.
2 - did you know that clicking Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 22, 2014
- Day 11 - 22nd March - Coramandel PeninsulaWe woke to intermittent rain this morning. Paul, the owner of the Motel, had recommended we get to Cathedral Cove early before the crowds. but it seemed less appealing in the drizzle. We decided to cut our losses Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 22, 2014
- Cuddle a Cub at Paradise SpringsAfter waiting for the relentless rains of yesterday to cease, I was quick to spring from my sleeping bag after glimpsing the blue sky through a crack in our campervan curtain. There was no need to prepare the makeshift Posted by CarlaTracy in Carla Tracy | Mar 21, 2014
- Scuba diving in Milford SoundI already mentioned it briefly in the last post, but today I am going to talk a bit more about Milford Sound, one of the most beautiful and famous fjords in New Zealand. Milford Sound (Māori: Piopiotahi) is a fjord Posted by manolo84 in Around The World in 370 days | Mar 21, 2014
- Day 10 - 21st March - Paihia to Coramandel PenninsulaNot too much to report today. It is a driving day - we go from Paihia down to Tairua on the Coromandel peninsula.
Left just before 9:00, and had a 5 hour drive in the sunshine.
Stopped for mid morning Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 21, 2014
- Day 9 - 20th March, Kauri forest and fish + chipsEarly breakfast (7:15 to 8:30 !) on board, and then disembark around 10:00 AM. Raining when we woke up, and overcast as we made harbour, but by the time we got to the car, sunny again.
When we parked Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 21, 2014
- Whangamata to CoromandelAfter checking out of the motel we had a wander around the local marina, very few yachts, most were motor boats set up for some serious fishing. We walked along the beautiful but almost deserted beach before heading north.
[img=http://photos.travellers Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 20, 2014
- Day 8 - 19th March 2014 - Treaty House/Overnight CruiseWoke up to an overcast sky (geting used to this now) but loaded car up and went to the Treaty House grounds, where the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Waitangi|Treaty of Waitangi]] was signed. THis is frequently referred to as the birthplace of Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 21, 2014
- Swimming with shiny mammals... sort ofFrom Blenheim and the wine region, Kaikoura was our final stop before the return journey to Christchurch.
Kaikoura is located on the east coast and its position and geography means it's pretty darn special. Quite close to shore the seabed drops Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 21, 2014
- Day 153 - 154 Kaikoura
Leaving Hanmer Springs for Kaikoura we were greeted by a grey and wet town. Battling the wind we visited the local Posted by vincerb in Becky is Backpacking | Mar 20, 2014
- Day 7, 18th March - Auckland to PaihiaTime to leave Auckland and dive up North. Breakfast with George and Viv and then Viv drives us through the crazy Auckland morning traffic (OK - a queue for 5 minutes I suppose) to the car rental place (Apex Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 20, 2014
- Taupo to Whangamata One of the joys of staying in a B & B instead of motels is the breakfasts, that's why we don't stay in them all the time, if that makes sense. What a breakfast Ann did for us Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 19, 2014
- Day 6 - 17th March - AucklandAs suspected (based on George's understated "I think you caught a bit of sun Pete" the night before), Pete was sunburnt - red forehead, red neck..... all from standing on a very Welsh-looking hill drinking a couple Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 20, 2014
- Day 5 - 16th March - Kia ora New Zealand!Flight arrives in Auckland around 10:30 ish, and I have had the pleasure of a Brit sitting in the window seat next to me coughing her guts up all night, and laughing out loud at comedy films on the in-flight Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 20, 2014
- A wike bine tour. Another drop vicar?Reaching Blenheim also meant the last few days of our South Island tour which I felt quite sad about... but there were a couple of gems in the final leg.
Our route took us along a small part of the vast Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 19, 2014
- Turangi to TaupoWe had set aside today to undertake the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, a 20 km walk which is rated as one of the classic day walks in New Zealand, viewing Volcanic scenery in the raw, some say it is the best Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 18, 2014
- Randonnées en Nouvelle-ZélandeJe voulais à l'origine écrire des articles séparés pour chaque grande randonnée que j'ai faite en Nouvelle-Zélande mais avec le retard pris sur le blog je pense qu'il est plus avisé de condenser un petit peu... :)
[center][img=http://photos.travellersp Posted by manolo84 in Around The World in 370 days | Mar 19, 2014