- Hawke's BayWe arrived into Aukland at 4.30 in the morning after a 13 hour flight and 16 hours of time lost meaning having left Friday night it was Sunday morning we arrived. We had a bus leaving for Hastings at 12.30pm Posted by Time Well Spent in More Fun Than a Mortgage | Mar 30, 2014
- A Hobbit's TaleOf course traveling through New Zealand is like traveling through the Lord of the Rings set. You might just happen to drive by Mount Doom and through the Misty Mountains on an ordinary day. But, for an extraordinary Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Mar 30, 2014
- A fraught journey, a force feed and happy timesFrom Havelock North we decided to head to the Bay of Plenty region... so named by James Cook because he and his men found the area to be plentiful in food and resources when they first encountered the area. Conversely, Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 29, 2014
- Hawke's Bay - Art Deco centralIt was only a couple of hours drive to our next base - Havelock North located in Hawke's Bay (another famed wine region). Fancy that.
Our B&B was fabulous, probably second only to the amazing place we stayed at Christmas on Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 27, 2014
- FearlessWhat shall we do in Taupo? We wondered as we drove into town. Lake Taupo is roughly the same size as Singapore...if anyone knows how big Singapore is. Upon checking in at the hostel we noticed a sign Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Mar 26, 2014
- Tramping in the Huxley ValleyHere we are, my last post about New-Zealand, which covers the last big trek I did with my friends. I think I pretty much went through all the major activities and events which occurred during these amazing 7 weeks spent Posted by manolo84 in Around The World in 370 days | Mar 26, 2014
- Mouthwatering cheesecakes and down on the faaaaaarm...We still didn't have our route entirely fixed for the North Island, but from Welington we decided to follow the Kapiti coast road with a brief overnight stop. Nothing to write home about... the airbnb wasn't great - possibly our Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 25, 2014
- More New Zealand radio..After Mike's tip, we picked up Radio NZ National Much more like Radio 4 (in fact this evening they were playing a BBC World Service programme). Thanks for the tip Mike.
(Although I think Leighton Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 25, 2014
- Day 14 - 25th March2 nights ago we decided to visit White Island - [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whakaari_/_White_Island|New Zealand’s most active cone volcano]].
The last eruption here was Aug 2013, although only lasted 10 minutes.
We had to drive to Whakatane first Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 25, 2014
- Windy WellyWe left Kaikoura in a bit of a hurry as the campervan rental company said they would refund us half a day's rental fee if we got back three hours earlier than agreed.
And so we returned to where we started Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Mar 24, 2014
- New Zealand RadioWe have been listening to the radio (AM as we can't seem to get good quality FM in the hire car).
We have listened to quite a bit of Newstalk ZB, and last week heard 2 hours of Leighton Smith, Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 24, 2014
- Day 13 - 24th MarchBreakfast, then 25 minute drive to Wai-o-tapu Thermal Wonderland.
Buy the tickets, then drive about 3 minutes up the road (easily walkable!), and then sit in a little arena around the Lady Knox Geyser. It is named after "Lady Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 24, 2014
- Day 12 - 23rd MarchPicked up some bread from the local shop, made chicken rolls for our lunch, and left the Coromandel. Rain started soon after we left, and became quite persistent as we crossed over the mountain. As soon Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 24, 2014
- Kia Ora & Welcome
The town of Rotorua is the place to go for a Maori culture performance. We decided to go to the [[http://www.mitai.co.nz/|Mitai Village]] where we got to take a walk through the native bu Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Mar 23, 2014
- Wow! Glowworm caves - stunning.Out of sequence, but we called in the [[http://|Waitomo glowworm]] caves by taking a (quite long) diversion on our way to Rotorua.
Fantastic. A totally silent boat ride through black caves where the only light comes from the glowworms hanging Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 22, 2014
- Coromandel to AuklandAnother morning of wall to wall blue was waiting for us when we woke. Packed and farewells said to yet another friendly & helpful motel owner and we were off, driving down the west coast of the Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 21, 2014
- Great friends, lots of wine & jumping out aeroplanes! Rotorua. 12/02/14 - 19/02/14
My trip from Nelson to Rotorua took me via the Cook strait and New Zealand's capital city, Wellington. I had to get a bus from Nelson to Picton and then hop on the ferry. The bus arrived Posted by HelenHeneghan in Helen goes round the world! | Mar 22, 2014
- Tea and Photos1 - why can't you get good quality tea here ? The tea bags in the Motels are ok, but a bit weak compared to the Assam tea we like in the UK.
2 - did you know that clicking Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 22, 2014
- Day 11 - 22nd March - Coramandel PeninsulaWe woke to intermittent rain this morning. Paul, the owner of the Motel, had recommended we get to Cathedral Cove early before the crowds. but it seemed less appealing in the drizzle. We decided to cut our losses Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 22, 2014
- Cuddle a Cub at Paradise SpringsAfter waiting for the relentless rains of yesterday to cease, I was quick to spring from my sleeping bag after glimpsing the blue sky through a crack in our campervan curtain. There was no need to prepare the makeshift Posted by CarlaTracy in Carla Tracy | Mar 21, 2014
- Scuba diving in Milford SoundI already mentioned it briefly in the last post, but today I am going to talk a bit more about Milford Sound, one of the most beautiful and famous fjords in New Zealand. Milford Sound (Māori: Piopiotahi) is a fjord Posted by manolo84 in Around The World in 370 days | Mar 21, 2014
- Day 10 - 21st March - Paihia to Coramandel PenninsulaNot too much to report today. It is a driving day - we go from Paihia down to Tairua on the Coromandel peninsula.
Left just before 9:00, and had a 5 hour drive in the sunshine.
Stopped for mid morning Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 21, 2014
- Day 9 - 20th March, Kauri forest and fish + chipsEarly breakfast (7:15 to 8:30 !) on board, and then disembark around 10:00 AM. Raining when we woke up, and overcast as we made harbour, but by the time we got to the car, sunny again.
When we parked Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 21, 2014
- Whangamata to CoromandelAfter checking out of the motel we had a wander around the local marina, very few yachts, most were motor boats set up for some serious fishing. We walked along the beautiful but almost deserted beach before heading north.
[img=http://photos.travellers Posted by John and Jane in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 20, 2014
- Day 8 - 19th March 2014 - Treaty House/Overnight CruiseWoke up to an overcast sky (geting used to this now) but loaded car up and went to the Treaty House grounds, where the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Waitangi|Treaty of Waitangi]] was signed. THis is frequently referred to as the birthplace of Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Mar 21, 2014