- Day 11: CoromandelHi all,
Today our family traveled by car from Auckland, the largest city in New Zealand, to Coromandel, which seems to be the smallest village in the country! I just added the photos.
We had one stop at an absolutely fabulous shorebird/intertidal Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Jan 23, 2014
- New-Zealand, finally!Yeah! I can finally write about this wonderful country, after having landed here a bit more than a month ago. Sorry for the delay but maintaining a blog up-to-date is a lot of work... ;)
On the 11[sup]th[/sup] of December Posted by manolo84 in Around The World in 365 days | Jan 23, 2014
- Fish & ChipsAfter fighting a 24-hour bug and travel fatigue, Dave is feeling much better. We left Auckland this morning and drove east toward the Coromandel Peninsula. It was a complete surprise to Henry when we turned the car into Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Jan 22, 2014
- Is there a tooth fairy in New Zealand?Today I have big news: I lost my tooth!
I wonder if the tooth fairy will give me New Zealand money or American money? I'll let you know tomorrow.
For dinner I ate fish and chips and a do Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Jan 22, 2014
- QueenstownThe pass was open so we got through ok, what happened about 4 months ago there was a huge landslide and 2 Canadian tourists were swept away In Their camper van down the mountain, so now because the area is Posted by JenniferPriest in New Zealand Holiday | Jan 22, 2014
- From seals to lavender to whales, Kaikoura has it all!
Way back in December, we started the day with a coastal walk that lead us down to the beach and a seal colony of about 55 seals just chillin' on the beach. There were no fences Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Jan 22, 2014
- Day 10: Full Day in AucklandHi all,
As promised, today was my only full day in New Zealand's largest city, Auckland.
Since my dad is a bit under the weather, my mom, my sister Pearl, and I did the best-of activities of Auckland today. The first one Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Jan 22, 2014
- Exploring AucklandWe went to top of a mountain in Auckland and saw an island with a volcano.
In the afternoon we went to a museum with a lot of canoes and sailboats.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/631 Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Jan 21, 2014
- West Coast Glacier countryHeaded to Franz Joseph glacier, the glacier has receded about 2 kilometres since we were her 35 years ago, you can't walk on it anymore as people were getting injured and some people died when they were walking on it Posted by JenniferPriest in New Zealand Holiday | Jan 21, 2014
- Seas the dayUnfortunately Dave is feeling a little under the weather, so we are back down to three of us for sightseeing.
This morning, the kids and I visited Mount Eden, the site of a long dormant volcano and fantastic viewpoint of Auckland Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Jan 21, 2014
- Queenstown, Southland, New Zealand===Franz Josef - Queenstown (352km / 219m)===
What should have been a 6 - 7 hour drive through some of New Zealand's most stunning scenery from Franz Josef to Queenstown actually turned into 7 hours of driving through a low cloud Posted by Nick-n-Charlie in Our Honeymoon World Tour | Jan 21, 2014
- AucklandToday we went to the Auckland Aquarium. We rode on a moving walkway through a fish tank. Stingrays and sharks swam around us.
Then we walked around the city. Look at the shop that we found!
[img=http:// Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Jan 21, 2014
- Now four down under!After eight days of relaxation in the Northland, Sue and the kids drove through the rain to Auckland to meet Dave and start our 25-day driving tour of New Zealand from top to bottom.
Our plans to meet Dave worked perfectly. Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Jan 20, 2014
- RaglanRaglan is an area famous for surfing in New Zealand and it was one of the stops on the bus route that we weren't too fussed about. If we hadn't had to go there due to the bus route we Posted by doyledan in There and Back Again........ | Jan 21, 2014
- Day 9: My Dad Arrives!Hi all,
Today the central event of the day was driving to Auckland and meeting my dad at the aquarium. We toured the aquarium after that, and then checked in at our new hotel. It was a pleasant day and nice Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Jan 20, 2014
- Auckland to HaheiThis was our first day on our official Stray tour, the bus was a lot bigger than I had expected. Not sure why as there are pictures of them on the website! There were 37 of us on the bus Posted by doyledan in There and Back Again........ | Jan 20, 2014
- Auckland cont...We were met by our guide Anna outside of YHA and joined 11 others on the bus and set off on our day of free fun. First stop was meant to be the Sky Tower but we couldn't find a Posted by doyledan in There and Back Again........ | Jan 20, 2014
- Day 8: RelaxationHi all,
Today was a lazy day devoted to relaxation and homeschooling in our hotel room since the weather was frightful (and no, we didn't have a fire that was delightful, if you were wondering).
Later that day we went out Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Jan 19, 2014
- New Zealand! First stop AucklandI can't believe we are here. This is the last country on our epic trip and one that we have been looking forward to most. With promises of amazing scenery, adventures and of course hobbits we were excited to be Posted by doyledan in There and Back Again........ | Jan 19, 2014
- Wellington to Christchurch 14th January 2014Up early and headed to the airport for our flight to Christchurch, no upgrade this time. Air New Zealand has a very funny pre flight thing which uses all The Lord of the rings characters they are really milking The Posted by JenniferPriest in New Zealand Holiday | Jan 19, 2014
- Day 7: The Quest for the Quetz...I mean the Kiwi!Before the term above becomes too much of a personal cliché, I am using it again on this blog post, except this time I was not looking for a quetzal, but a kiwi! WAIT A SECOND, I am getting much Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Jan 19, 2014
- Kayaking the Bay of IslandsApparently there is quite a storm system coming in overnight, so we took advantage of our final beautiful day in the Bay of Islands with a kayak trip to a small island.
My first mate
The s Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Jan 19, 2014
- Franz Josef, West Coast, New Zealand===St Arnaud - Franz Josef (394km/245m)===
We knew we had one of our longest journeys ahead of us so it was another early start to the day getting on the road by 08:00. We had really enjoyed our time in Posted by Nick-n-Charlie in Our Honeymoon World Tour | Jan 18, 2014
- Franz Josef GlacierThis portion of the trip, which seemed so easy to plan back in the spring of 2013, is definitely beginning to take a toll on the family! (although we are trying to stop at fun places along the way Posted by sandlb107 in Our New Zealand/Australian Adventure | Jan 18, 2014
- Kia OraToday we traveled by bus to the far north of New Zealand. It was a long day full of beautiful scenery, fun activities, and some wiggles and whining. Among many snacks, Pearl consumed an entire bag of Cheetos-style Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Jan 17, 2014