- Hello South Island!Up super early Sunday morning to get on the ferry from the North Island to the South Island! It was rainy at first, but cleared up by the middle of our 3.5 hour ride. Beautiful views once we passed into Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 15, 2015
- The Sea, the Sea!
The sea around South Island is beautiful and wild. It is not a playground as it is in Australia. We saw very few people swimming, surfing or boating in the sea apart from a few 'swimming' with the Dolphins. People Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 15, 2015
- The Centre of New ZealandWe started the day joining Helen at the morning communion service at Nelson Cathedral. That may sound a bit stuffy but it wasn't at all. Formal, yes, but enjoyable nonetheless. I took the opportunity on the way Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 15, 2015
- Hot Water Beach and Shakespeare CliffWe found this van in the parking lot at Hot Water Beach on the east shore of the Coromandel Peninsula.
Our GPS was acting weird again this morning and took us on a wi Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 15, 2015
- On the road - Christchurch to WanakaWe have thoroughly enjoyed being on the road on South Island. The scenery from the car window is truly stunning and often beautiful. Initially as we drove south down from Christchurch, the scenery appeared brown rather than the green Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 14, 2015
- Get Off the Road!Day 6 started with another behind the scenes look at the LOTR and Hobbit movies. First, Daniel Reeves, the calligrapher and graphic designer for all the films, came to our hotel to show us his work. It was insane the Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 14, 2015
- Humpridge TrackWe were up early on Monday morning for our pick up from the YHA to Tuatapere, a sleepy little village in Southland. We arrived at 9:30am and were able to check straight into our hostel, Last Light Lodge, so called Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 14, 2015
- A Train Spotters Guide (part 10) - New Zealand RailwaysUnlike Australia New Zealand quickly settled on a 3ft 6in gauge for all it's main line railways. There were many other gauges locally on small sections ranging from 5ft 3in down to 2ft but none persisted for other than local Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 14, 2015
- I hate boats!The least said about our boat crossing to South Island the better as far as I am concerned!
Moving swiftly on, we duly arrived at Picton and eventually collected another car, also a Toyota Corolla, from Avis, but not without confusion Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 14, 2015
- Bay of PlentyReta got up early this morning and took a picture just after sunrise. We were actually facing north so it was a little tricky to find an east facing place where she could get a picture. The early Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 13, 2015
- Rain stopped playWe had intended to spend more time at the Te Papa museum and then to have a look round some other places of interest in Wellington. However, the weather changed as we were leaving the museum, with rain and blowing a Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 13, 2015
- Doubtful Sound cruiseMountains, fiords, dolphins, kayaks, fur seals, swimming and so much food proved the perfect combination for an overnight cruise after days battling the elements.
We had a rare late start on Saturday morning are were picked up from the YHA Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 13, 2015
- Behind the Scenes
We took a break from sightseeing and got a look behind the scenes at Weta Studios on day 5 of our adventure. During our tour we got to see many items from the LOTR, Hob Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 13, 2015
After the big walk we drove towards Turangi and stayed at a camping nearby. The next morning the weather was good, so we just chilled at the campsite, played cards and swam in the stream/river. We had to leave around Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 13, 2015
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing We woke up quite early and started the 30km climb/walk at 8:30. The crossing itself is about 19km, but it’s one way, so if you don’t want to buy an expensive shuttle bus ticket to bring you back (30$), you Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 13, 2015
- Tongariro National ParkWe didn’t want to do anything too tough after the river journey, so we did some light walking for 5-6h in Tongariro National Park. We went to the Silicia Rapids (pics), took a swim in a waterfall (pics), went to Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 13, 2015
- Whanganui river journey
We arrived at the canoe hiring company one day before to fetch our drybags and barrels to pack our stuff. We packed all of the evening and in the morning also. It was probably the coldest night so far (4C), Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 13, 2015
- Opunake - Taranaki - New Plymouth We checked out the beaches and surf opportunities in Opunake, but unfortunately didn't do any surfing yet. Instead we went for some walking in Egmont National Park. We walked to Dawson's falls and crossed a very high swing bridge to Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 13, 2015
- 4 seasons in 4 days on the KeplerI know it's been snowing a bit at home but when we set off on the Kepler in mid summer it was the last thing we expected!! We walked through 65km/h winds and snow and were the last group over Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 13, 2015
- CanyoningCanyoning, for anyone out there that hasn't tried it yet, is loads of fun. Things like sliding and jumping and abseiling, all rolled into one and packaged with a whole load of white water. You wetsuit up and then squeeze Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 13, 2015
- Routeburn and Caples (with poem!)Our first tramp was 5 days walking through the Mount Aspiring and Fiordland National Parks, 3 days on the Routeburn Great Walk and 2 days on the Caples tramping track.
We caught a tramping bus from Queenstown to the Routeburn Shelter. Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 13, 2015
- Queenstown and mountain bikingNext up on our adventure is New Zealand. The plan is 5 weeks and 5 big tramps through the backcountry. Sarah spent 7 months travelling NZ after university but our trip would not be complete without visiting the adventure capital Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 13, 2015
- So it begins....Rough flight. Experienced lots of turbuance. At one point, the plane dropped and we were suspended in the air. Pretty scary! We arrived 40 minutes ahead of schedule. Patrick (my nephew) and Daphne (his beautiful Posted by Samchow58 in The next chapter | Feb 12, 2015
- Eastern adventuresLast night after we sent out our emails and blogs we watched the opening ceremonies for the ICC Cricket World Cup games. We watched the ceremonies held at Christchurch in Hagley Park Oval which were the official opening ceremonies Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 12, 2015
- An Adventurous DayDay 4 brought a new level of bravery and adventure from James and I as we each tried something new! Details after this picture of the site of the hidden door of Erebor on Mt. Ruapehu:
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/731114/F8419208B92250B362615E Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 12, 2015