- Bike, boat and bonkersThe day started with a slight disappointment. We went to book an evening tour to see penguins in their natural habitat but were told that the tour was being cancelled due to insufficient numbers of penguins at this time Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 18, 2015
- Week one is done.....Wow! Time sure flies when you're having fun. I've had so many people tell me that my trip will be over before I know it, didn't believe them. Next Sunday is my half marathon day. I have not Posted by Samchow58 in The next chapter | Feb 17, 2015
- East Coast StyleToday was a travel day as we went 4 hours down the east coast to Christchurch. The views were lovely the whole trip as we followed the ocean. We made stops for:
* second breakfast at a cute cafe
* New Zealand Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 17, 2015
- AkaroaI am amazed that anyone is still reading this stuff!!
A long journey South today, with few opportunities to stop, but lovely views most of the way. We set off from Kaikoura and saw some more seals and birds along Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 16, 2015
- A great visit to New ZealandThis is our last full day in New Zealand. We needed to drive from Coromandel Town to Auckland around the Firth of Thames, a bay on the west side of the Coromandel Peninsula. The drive in the early stages was Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 16, 2015
- Through the Misty MountainsSo much sightseeing today! We started the day bright and early with a helicopter ride from the company who helped find some shooting sites for the LOTR movies and also brought the main hobbit actors up for the 10 days Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 16, 2015
- Seal of approval After having a quick look round Blenheim this morning, we headed South for Kaikoura, which means "meal of crayfish". We were told to expect lovely views, especially once the road goes alongside the sea. Indeed, the sea was Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 16, 2015
- Cathedral Cove and Kauri treesThis morning we were determined to drive to Cathedral Cove and find a parking spot so we could do the 45 minute one way walk to Cathedral Cove. We set out on Highway 25 and stopped at an overlook Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 15, 2015
- Hello South Island!Up super early Sunday morning to get on the ferry from the North Island to the South Island! It was rainy at first, but cleared up by the middle of our 3.5 hour ride. Beautiful views once we passed into Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 15, 2015
- The Sea, the Sea!
The sea around South Island is beautiful and wild. It is not a playground as it is in Australia. We saw very few people swimming, surfing or boating in the sea apart from a few 'swimming' with the Dolphins. People Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 15, 2015
- The Centre of New ZealandWe started the day joining Helen at the morning communion service at Nelson Cathedral. That may sound a bit stuffy but it wasn't at all. Formal, yes, but enjoyable nonetheless. I took the opportunity on the way Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 15, 2015
- Hot Water Beach and Shakespeare CliffWe found this van in the parking lot at Hot Water Beach on the east shore of the Coromandel Peninsula.
Our GPS was acting weird again this morning and took us on a wi Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 15, 2015
- On the road - Christchurch to WanakaWe have thoroughly enjoyed being on the road on South Island. The scenery from the car window is truly stunning and often beautiful. Initially as we drove south down from Christchurch, the scenery appeared brown rather than the green Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 14, 2015
- Get Off the Road!Day 6 started with another behind the scenes look at the LOTR and Hobbit movies. First, Daniel Reeves, the calligrapher and graphic designer for all the films, came to our hotel to show us his work. It was insane the Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 14, 2015
- Humpridge TrackWe were up early on Monday morning for our pick up from the YHA to Tuatapere, a sleepy little village in Southland. We arrived at 9:30am and were able to check straight into our hostel, Last Light Lodge, so called Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 14, 2015
- A Train Spotters Guide (part 10) - New Zealand RailwaysUnlike Australia New Zealand quickly settled on a 3ft 6in gauge for all it's main line railways. There were many other gauges locally on small sections ranging from 5ft 3in down to 2ft but none persisted for other than local Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 14, 2015
- I hate boats!The least said about our boat crossing to South Island the better as far as I am concerned!
Moving swiftly on, we duly arrived at Picton and eventually collected another car, also a Toyota Corolla, from Avis, but not without confusion Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 14, 2015
- Bay of PlentyReta got up early this morning and took a picture just after sunrise. We were actually facing north so it was a little tricky to find an east facing place where she could get a picture. The early Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 13, 2015
- Rain stopped playWe had intended to spend more time at the Te Papa museum and then to have a look round some other places of interest in Wellington. However, the weather changed as we were leaving the museum, with rain and blowing a Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 13, 2015
- Doubtful Sound cruiseMountains, fiords, dolphins, kayaks, fur seals, swimming and so much food proved the perfect combination for an overnight cruise after days battling the elements.
We had a rare late start on Saturday morning are were picked up from the YHA Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 13, 2015
- Behind the Scenes
We took a break from sightseeing and got a look behind the scenes at Weta Studios on day 5 of our adventure. During our tour we got to see many items from the LOTR, Hob Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 13, 2015
After the big walk we drove towards Turangi and stayed at a camping nearby. The next morning the weather was good, so we just chilled at the campsite, played cards and swam in the stream/river. We had to leave around Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 13, 2015
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing We woke up quite early and started the 30km climb/walk at 8:30. The crossing itself is about 19km, but it’s one way, so if you don’t want to buy an expensive shuttle bus ticket to bring you back (30$), you Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 13, 2015
- Tongariro National ParkWe didn’t want to do anything too tough after the river journey, so we did some light walking for 5-6h in Tongariro National Park. We went to the Silicia Rapids (pics), took a swim in a waterfall (pics), went to Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 13, 2015
- Whanganui river journey
We arrived at the canoe hiring company one day before to fetch our drybags and barrels to pack our stuff. We packed all of the evening and in the morning also. It was probably the coldest night so far (4C), Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 13, 2015