- So it begins....Rough flight. Experienced lots of turbuance. At one point, the plane dropped and we were suspended in the air. Pretty scary! We arrived 40 minutes ahead of schedule. Patrick (my nephew) and Daphne (his beautiful Posted by Samchow58 in The next chapter | Feb 12, 2015
- Eastern adventuresLast night after we sent out our emails and blogs we watched the opening ceremonies for the ICC Cricket World Cup games. We watched the ceremonies held at Christchurch in Hagley Park Oval which were the official opening ceremonies Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 12, 2015
- An Adventurous DayDay 4 brought a new level of bravery and adventure from James and I as we each tried something new! Details after this picture of the site of the hidden door of Erebor on Mt. Ruapehu:
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/731114/F8419208B92250B362615E Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 12, 2015
- Counting down. Boots worn in and fit and ready to hit the trail. Three weeks trekking from Kathmandu to Basecamp Everest with me old mate Wizz. Wow. I read somewhere The Himalayas are where the gods go for their holidays such is Posted by gonetrekking in In search of Yaks and Yetis | Feb 12, 2015
- Art Deco continuedThis morning we woke up to overcast skies and on and off rain.
We had a map of the Art Deco buildings in the CBD (Central Business District - that we would call Downtown) of Napier. We had gone to Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 11, 2015
- Going South, almost.And so we arrived in Wellington, the city renowned for the largest number of boot manufacturers in the world, and the meanest hotel, the Copthorne! They are in the same chain as Novotel, where we were in Rotorua, but Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 11, 2015
- We Made it to Mordor...And it took us way less time than Sam and Frodo. Amazing what you can do when you travel by bus instead of foot!
We saw so many filming locations on day 3! Started with a tour of Trollshaws which is Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 11, 2015
- Art Deco and GannetsWe woke this morning to a cool and cloudy day.
We had heard about the nearby gannet (seabird) colony and investigated how best to see that colony. It is a 30-minute drive to the start of the hike Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 11, 2015
- Tractor rideWhat sort of image does the heading conjure up? A visit to a local farm perhaps? No, far from it, but more of that later.
Napier and the Hawke's Bay area have one of the highest number Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 11, 2015
- We're Moving to HobbitonWe started Tuesday with a two hour journey from Auckland to Matamata, the home of Hobbiton. Once you leave the city of Auckland (which has a population of 1.5 million... all of NZ has a population of 4.5 million) then Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 10, 2015
- To NapierJust when you think that customer service can't get any better, another event tops the last one. Savannah, the receptionist who hacked the wifi for us in Rotorua, asked us this morning, as we were checking out, whether we Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 10, 2015
- Zealandia and playgroundsWe had a very stormy night but this morning we woke up to sunny skies. The temperatures were cool but it was a good day to go to Zealandia before we left Wellington. We spent about 2 hours Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 10, 2015
- Kia Ora!We made it to New Zealand! Arrived at the airport in Auckland Monday morning at 6:00am local time and our tour guide Julie picked us up. Cloudy and 70s, perfect weather after coming from below freezing temps!
Our first day in NZ Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 9, 2015
- ThermalsNo, it wasn't cold. Before saying what we did today, it was a great joy to us down here to have had the chance to see and talk to all our family on FaceTime, both last night and this Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 9, 2015
- Goodbye South Island, Hello North IslandWe woke up this morning in Blenheim. The sky was bright blue and the sun was shining and there was a gentle breeze. We drove to Picton where the Interislander's ferry terminal is on the south island. We were a Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 9, 2015
- Nieuw Zeeland: Sweet as !!!Een uitdrukking die hier veel gebruikt wordt is "sweet" of "sweet as" wat betekent "OK", " cool", ...
Daarnaast heb je ook nog "hey mate, ..." en "hatch" = vakantiehuisje. Echt grappig dat taaltje, ...
Mijn reis in het wondermooie Posted by gdaniels in Around the world | Feb 8, 2015
- Honorary HobbitsOne of our doctors recommended that we should visit Mount Manganui, which was sort of on our way to Rotorua. It is a big hill off the coast with the most gorgeous, and packed, beach you could wish for, Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 8, 2015
- Nelson Lakes National ParkWe had a great quiet and peaceful night in Murchison.
We drove to the Nelson Lakes National Park. The first lake we stopped at was Lake Rotoroa.
The ducks Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 7, 2015
- Parting of our ways
After 100 days of travelling together, sadly, we are finally going our separate ways, not because we have fallen out (!) but because our timings and plans are different from now on. Paul and Cath are staying a bit longer Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 7, 2015
- A river walkThis morning we bid farewell to Christchurch. When we left Christchurch it was cool, cloudy and windy. We drove north on Highway 1 to Waipara and then took Highway seven to Murchison. The highway 7 stretch was Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 7, 2015
- The sublime to the ridiculous, but in reverse!Having been misled by Marie (the receptionist who can talk for New Zealand) about low tide times today, we hurriedly changed plans and went in the opposite direction, which was clockwise on a circular trip round the Coromandel Peninsula. Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 7, 2015
- TestTrip in Chch Posted by aroot.vitiprod in Test | Feb 7, 2015
- Our favourite pastime Not such a busy day today. We had breakfast at the hotel in Auckland and, at the next table, were a couple who we had met the previous day in the glow-worm caves. As Harry Hill would say, Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 6, 2015
- The Cardboard CathedralWe woke this morning to a cold, windy and rainy morning. We had planned a morning with Tom and Rosemary. They said they would drive us around to show us the destruction of the Sept 2010, Feb 22, 2011 and Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 6, 2015
- Glow-worms and treesTwo WOW moments today. Our initial plan was to head straight back to Auckland but, yesterday, someone suggested going back via the West coast of Northland for reasons that will become clear.
But first, by way of a slight detour, Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 5, 2015