- ThermalsNo, it wasn't cold. Before saying what we did today, it was a great joy to us down here to have had the chance to see and talk to all our family on FaceTime, both last night and this Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 9, 2015
- Goodbye South Island, Hello North IslandWe woke up this morning in Blenheim. The sky was bright blue and the sun was shining and there was a gentle breeze. We drove to Picton where the Interislander's ferry terminal is on the south island. We were a Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 9, 2015
- Nieuw Zeeland: Sweet as !!!Een uitdrukking die hier veel gebruikt wordt is "sweet" of "sweet as" wat betekent "OK", " cool", ...
Daarnaast heb je ook nog "hey mate, ..." en "hatch" = vakantiehuisje. Echt grappig dat taaltje, ...
Mijn reis in het wondermooie Posted by gdaniels in Around the world | Feb 8, 2015
- Honorary HobbitsOne of our doctors recommended that we should visit Mount Manganui, which was sort of on our way to Rotorua. It is a big hill off the coast with the most gorgeous, and packed, beach you could wish for, Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 8, 2015
- Nelson Lakes National ParkWe had a great quiet and peaceful night in Murchison.
We drove to the Nelson Lakes National Park. The first lake we stopped at was Lake Rotoroa.
The ducks Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 7, 2015
- Parting of our ways
After 100 days of travelling together, sadly, we are finally going our separate ways, not because we have fallen out (!) but because our timings and plans are different from now on. Paul and Cath are staying a bit longer Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 7, 2015
- A river walkThis morning we bid farewell to Christchurch. When we left Christchurch it was cool, cloudy and windy. We drove north on Highway 1 to Waipara and then took Highway seven to Murchison. The highway 7 stretch was Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 7, 2015
- The sublime to the ridiculous, but in reverse!Having been misled by Marie (the receptionist who can talk for New Zealand) about low tide times today, we hurriedly changed plans and went in the opposite direction, which was clockwise on a circular trip round the Coromandel Peninsula. Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 7, 2015
- TestTrip in Chch Posted by aroot.vitiprod in Test | Feb 7, 2015
- Our favourite pastime Not such a busy day today. We had breakfast at the hotel in Auckland and, at the next table, were a couple who we had met the previous day in the glow-worm caves. As Harry Hill would say, Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 6, 2015
- The Cardboard CathedralWe woke this morning to a cold, windy and rainy morning. We had planned a morning with Tom and Rosemary. They said they would drive us around to show us the destruction of the Sept 2010, Feb 22, 2011 and Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 6, 2015
- Glow-worms and treesTwo WOW moments today. Our initial plan was to head straight back to Auckland but, yesterday, someone suggested going back via the West coast of Northland for reasons that will become clear.
But first, by way of a slight detour, Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 5, 2015
- Jay walkers, Akaroa, special friendsThis morning we left Ashburton and drove to Akaroa. Our GPS led us along some smaller but paved roads. At one point we had to slow down for a flock of tame geese - fowl jay walkers.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/720055/IMG_5133__..jay_walkers.jp Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 5, 2015
- DolphinsRain this morning! That wasn't scripted. However, it dictated that we should take the ferry across the bay to a pretty town called Russell, that looks as if it belongs in Cape Cod rather than here. We wandered round avoiding Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 4, 2015
- From heartland to coastWe left Cromwell this morning. Overnight there had been a strong wind storm. This morning we had rain.
We found this little car decorated to advertise for helicopter tours of the area. This picture was taken through our Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 3, 2015
We walked around in Whanganui, visited the i-Site for even more info on the Whanganui river crossing. We found a nice Red Cross bookstore and bought a few books to read on the road. We had a deep fried lunch Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 3, 2015
- Martinbrough - Masterton - Eketahuna - Palmerston North
We basically just drove through Martoinbrough and Masterton (just to check for wifi and campsites), we found a really nice one in Eketahuna, super nice and super cheap. We even ended taking a room, which was only 25 dollars for Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 3, 2015
- Cape Palliser - Paharinua Pinnacles
It’s a bit of a detour to get there from Wellington, but we stopped a couple of times on the road to admire the view and to climb to a mountain (we forgot the name before Martinborough) from where you Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 3, 2015
The weather was still beautiful when we arrived in Wellington. We contacted the Belgian guy who we met during Christmas in the Welcome Flat Hut and stayed 3 nights at his place, a luxury apartment with a sea-view (see pics) Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 3, 2015
- Prologue2I have already mentioned that I had travelled through Europe six months earlier in a similar fashion to my proposed travels in New Zealand. As I sit here to write this blog I can assure you that I survived Posted by miricleman in Miriclemans great adventure | Feb 3, 2015
- The road NorthToday, we left Auckland behind, but not until we had done battle, and lost again, with the dreaded hotel car park. We tried and failed to find the floor on which our car was parked, among 2,000 other cars but, Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 2, 2015
- Bungy JumpingToday we woke up to cloudy skies.
We started our journey from Te Anau to Cromwell.
We came to the Devil's Staircase between Kingston and Queenstown. The only information we can find just says that the Devil's Staircase is Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 2, 2015
- ToiletYou weren't expecting that were you! One of the joys of travelling to new places is the pleasure one gets from the unexpected. In our guide book for today, there was a suggestion to take a slight detour to a Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 2, 2015
- The eagle (or, if you prefer, the kiwi) has landed!Well, that was a long journey! It seems incredible to believe that we are on the other side of the world, but 28 hours after we took off is proof enough. We had another good flight from Sydney, apart from Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 2, 2015
- A day at Milford Sound" Casey at the Bat" is a ballad written in 1888 by Ernest Thayer. In the poem "Casey at the Bat" there was no joy in Mudville because Casey struck out. Well today there is joy in Mudville because Posted by A-RPoulton in New Zealand/Australia 2015 | Feb 2, 2015