- Day 30 - 10th April
Up early to be picked up at 7.00 on s chilly and misty start to the day.
A comedian coach driver/guide (as Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 10, 2014
- The Ultimate Arcade GameQueenstown is basically the place you go to make all the bad decisions you can with the amount of money you have on hand- with enough bars to drink away any regrets you may be having about bungee-ing away your Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | Apr 9, 2014
- Day 29 - 9th AprilSo today we leave Queenstown to go to Lake Te Anau.
We dropped the luggage off at Hertz with Karen, and I went to drop the car off at Apex and walked over to Hertz. Once we ha Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 9, 2014
- Going subterranean in WaitomoThe next stop was highly anticipated - going underground to see the glowworms of the Waitomo caves.
The drive there from New Plymouth was gorgeous... passing coastal scenery, villages with little more than beach shacks looking out to sea, rolling hills Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Apr 8, 2014
- Day 28 - 8th AprilYesterday, Nick our BBQ bus driver recommended a trip to Glenorchy on the Southern side of Lake Wakatipu.
After an aborted trip to Coronet Peak, (we thought we could find it without checking a map or Sat Nav!), we did a Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 8, 2014
- Blue Duck in the BushSorry to disappoint all the Lani fans out there- it’s Liz again. I have a cold (the horror!), and so I sent Lani out to play while I rest so that I won’t be a downer for too long.
We’ve spent Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | Apr 7, 2014
- Day 27 - 7th AprilYes - I know I have skipped a few days - bear with me - will update those as well, but believe me - fitting in all of this at the end of a busy day is hard work.
It is Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 7, 2014
- Clotted Cream and a Three Horse TownThis blog update is a couple of days behind; we apologize on behalf of New Zealand for the not-so accessible WiFi and also for keeping us busy having too much fun.
I’ll start with a quick note on the weather in Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | Apr 7, 2014
- The RockFirst, a quick story before the story.
Our day started when we woke up and realized that our car wouldn't start. Uh oh. After awhile, we determined that the battery was dead because a light was left on. Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Apr 6, 2014
- Day 24 - 4th AprilLeisurely start to the day, as the glacier car park is about 10 mins drive from the Motel.
We parked up and then as the sun started peeking through the clouds, we walked up the valley, past waterfalls and up Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 6, 2014
- Day 23 - 3rd AprilUp early, breakfast with Graham and Bev, and then Bev drops us off at the railway station to board the Tranz Alpine Express.
The j Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 6, 2014
- Day 22 - 2nd AprilBreakfast, pack (checking no chargers left behind, or even worse, new $40 belt!), and drive to Christchurch.
The road was initially along the coast road but soon went back inland through the lower slopes of the hills and mountains.
[img=http://photos. Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 6, 2014
- Whanganui riverTo make a change from our usual walking tours we decided to do something different and hire a canoe for three days rowing down the Whanganui river. Each day was 6 - 7 hours of paddling starting at Whakahoro and Posted by Time Well Spent in More Fun Than a Mortgage | Apr 5, 2014
- Getting readyWe've spent the weekend getting ready for our big adventure, printing maps, working out what to pack. Lots of fun for Jo, but the kids are getting a bit bored ... they want the real adventure! Posted by JadeLim in Asia/Europe 2014 | Apr 5, 2014
- New Plymouth & The Forgotten World HighwayNew Plymouth is located on the west coast, a bit out on a limb, and is dominated by Mount Taranaki.
To get there we took the Forgotten World Highway (forgotten to tarmac it in places as Ant pointed out), which regrettably Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Apr 5, 2014
- Day 21 - 1st AprilWe left Blenheim for the short drive South to Kaikoura.
This is the main road by the way - State Highway 1.
As we were driving Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 5, 2014
- I Think I'm 25?This morning started with our break out of Jail and Christchurch. It was grey and cloudy so we were all too pleased to move on. We began the drive to Dunedin through many a farm field and "One Horse Towns". Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | Apr 4, 2014
- Waltzing Matilda (or Helen!) returns to Oz and my NZ finale.Sydney 20th feb - 26th feb 2014
I returned to Australia for 6 days to catch up with friends I didn't have the chance to see while I was there previously. My destination was Sydney and I was looking forward to Posted by HelenHeneghan in Helen goes round the world! | Apr 3, 2014
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing... NZ's greatest one-day walkFrom Taupo, we headed south to Turangi in readiness to tackle the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
Cute church en route
[img=http://photos.tr Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Apr 3, 2014
- Day 20 - 31st MarchWe had a 13:30 crossing booked, and had to be at the ferry port n Wellington by 12:30, so a very easy morning, packing (using the previously agreed protocol), and a quick photo-op with Mike
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/661286/1966052_46..64 Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 3, 2014
- The Never-Ending DayThe Never Ending Day
There were some major fails followed by some major successes throughout our remaining flights. Fail #1: My “entertainment” system was dysfunctional and no amount of tapping or hitting resolved the issue- trust me, I tried. Fail #1 Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | Apr 2, 2014
- Lord of the Rings in NZLord of the Rings settings: If you're not into the movies or books, you can skip this post :)
Since the entirety of the Lord of the Rings movies were filmed in New Zealand, there's a lot of places you Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Apr 2, 2014
- A land which steams, spits, spouts & smells like egg sarnies[Warning: Bit of a long one this, sorry... lots to write about! You might want to stick the kettle on.]
The centre of New Zealand's North Island is a land which, quite literally, smoulders.
We stayed in Rotorua before heading a Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Apr 2, 2014
- Day 19 - 30th MarchEasy morning, late breakfast, catch up with emails and other admin stuff, including the Thompsons (Katrina is having her hair cut off this week for charity, and I caught her and Mike sorting out the logistics)
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/66 Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 1, 2014
- Day 17 - 28th MarchWe are now into the ritual of leaving a motel room
* Empty the fridge into cool bag - making sure to put the yoghurt into a separate plastic bag to prevent spillage (had to wash the cool bag Posted by phillipsnz in New Zealand 2014 | Apr 1, 2014