- Earthquake City Almost exactly 4 years ago, Christchurch suffered a massive earthquake that flattened large parts of the city centre. 185 people died and many more sustained serious injury. There is a section in the city centre, about 6 blocks Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 28, 2015
- Tongariro Northern CircuitEveryone knows Mt Doom right!? Where Frodo chucks the ring. Well we climbed it!! Right round the edge of the huge crater.
We did the Tongariro Northern Circuit, a four day walk to and from Whakapapa village. The 2nd day Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 28, 2015
- The Whanganui River JourneyTo make a change from tramping our next "Great Walk" was 5 days of paddling down the Whanganui River in a canoe. Although a little apprehensive about the rapids I was looking forward to a relaxing few days floating through Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 28, 2015
- Milford SoundLast time I visited Milford Sound I'd just walked the Milford Track. It had rained solidly for 3 days and I'd seen a million waterfalls but nothing but cloud on the way over the pass. On the last day arriving Posted by BecsandSar in Becs and Sar go travelling | Feb 28, 2015
- Feb. 25 - WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND
The native Radiator Pine is a major product exported, primarily to China, in many of these ports.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/92262/01A4F177A6C3B64ECF8 Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 6 | Feb 27, 2015
- Trains and boats and planesThat was the title of a popular song in the 60s, sung by Billy J Kramer. It was playing in the dining room at the hotel when we went down for breakfast. It was very appropriate, as we Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 27, 2015
- GlaciersThis was our best WOW day by a long way, but first things first.
I neglected to mention yesterday, while we were doing the beech forest walk, we saw a very inquisitive South Island White Breasted Robin. It was a Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 26, 2015
- Start of the South Island AdventureFebruary 23
My official race time: 2:23:08. I placed 1372 out of 1976 half marathon runners.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/726731/ABC17D9EFC50FB17294DB4B7BD696704.jpg thumb=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/726731/thumb_ABC17D9EFC50FB17294DB4B Posted by Samchow58 in The next chapter | Feb 25, 2015
- Feb. 24 - NAPIER, NEW ZEALAND
Napier is situated on Hawke's Bay, famous for its wines, so our plan for this day had to include at least one winery! The name of the tugboat that met the Serenity, Te Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 6 | Feb 25, 2015
- Mysterious MilfordIt has often been said that the journey is more important than the destination. This may be true for Milford Sound. We did not take the actual cruise along the sound and out to the Tasman Sea, having cruised Doubtful Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 25, 2015
- Doubtful SoundFor us, Doubtful Sound in the south west fiord area was one of the highlights of South Island. The day out on the Sound was recommended to us. It is a less popular trip than Milford Sound as it is Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 25, 2015
- Feb. 22 - TAURANGA, NEW ZEALAND
This post is all about “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings”: our day in Tauranga was the perfect time to visit the movie set at the farm in Matamata (just an hour Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 6 | Feb 25, 2015
- ParadiseThat's where we were today, both literally and descriptively. After a forecast of rain this morning, that didn't materialise, we were collected by coach for a trip to Glenorchy, where we boarded a jet boat for an exhilarating ride Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 25, 2015
- The Tale of the Two Mikes
I tell this tale because it is the only occasion when we have had unfriendly and poor service in New Zealand and in retrospect it was quite funny!
It all started when we went in to Budget car rental in Auckland Posted by CandPandKandS in Across and beyond | Feb 24, 2015
- A quieter dayWe started the day with a bit of FaceTime and then set off for Arrowtown, which is a small village a few miles outside Queenstown that was once a hub of the gold mining industry, especially with the use of Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 24, 2015
- Planning the TripTest Posted by Shortland in Oz Silk Express | Feb 23, 2015
- The Start!Finally my adventur begins. If you are reading this you are either unlucky enough to be one of my friends or a sucker for punishment. I am going to bore you with my passions - travelling - some through Posted by Shortland in Oz Silk Express | Feb 23, 2015
- Many PartingsThis is it, the final day of our adventure. Well really final 2 days as we have lived Monday twice due to the international date line. The 23rd is also James and I's 10 year dating anniversary so it was Posted by laynabayna in You Can't Get to Mordor From Here | Feb 23, 2015
- Feb. 21 - AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND (DAY 3)
Third day, another ferry. We crossed Waitemata Harbour to historic Devonport.
Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 6 | Feb 23, 2015
- Coromandel Peninsula
We started the long and winding drive by stopping randomly at a some bird gardens (didn’t go in because it had an entrance fee), but we spotted a passion fruit tree and got to taste some fresh passionfruit :) We Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 23, 2015
We climbed Mount Manganui and admired the beautiful views from there. Then we headed down to the beach where many people surfed, we just went for a swim. The day went fast and the weather was beautiful. We stayed the Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 23, 2015
- RotoruaWe walked in the redwoods area and in the town centre and parks. Unfortunately we forgot to take the camera, so no pics. There is a nasty smell of sulphur from all this volcanic activity going under and around Rotorua. Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 23, 2015
- TaupoWe spent 2 relaxed days in Taupo including a lot of walking, hot springs and hitch-hiking. First day we just walked around the town and of course had to swim in lake Taupo. The next day we woke up early Posted by cjfvdk in Down Under and Around | Feb 23, 2015
- A WOW dayMilford Sound is one of the 'must see' places in New Zealand. The problem is that it takes a very long time to get there by road. That meant a very early start with an alarm call at Posted by Tim Wettone in New Zealand and Australia | Feb 23, 2015
- Feb. 20 - AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND (DAY 2)
We began the 3rd segment of the World Cruise on our 2nd day in Auckland.
I Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 6 | Feb 22, 2015