- Dolphins at DaybreakToday I found a tree house. It reminded me of Jack and Annie in the Magic Tree House book series.
Right now I am watching dolphins jump out of the water in front of o Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Feb 13, 2014
- Dolphins in Milford SoundOur family hostel room back in Kinloch was barely big enough to fit the four of us and our luggage, and it was challenging to share kitchen, bath, and shower facilities with strangers, albeit mostly friendly strangers. Needless to say, Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Feb 13, 2014
- Whoaaaaa we're half way there...So, we're half way through our travels and thought it would be a good time to reflect on the journey so far, and to look forward to the next four and a half months.
The half way point was our first Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Feb 12, 2014
- Cruising the South West Shore of NZThis morning we woke up to cool sunny skies and a strong breeze. This southwest coast of New Zealand is renowned for the mountainous terrain spotted with spectacular sounds and fiords. We were told that it is most Posted by DavidandHazel in Kiwis & Kangaroos | Feb 11, 2014
- South Island, NZEarly this morning we dropped anchor near Akaroa which is 84 km from Christchurch and is situated on the Banks Peninsula. This beautiful little resort village is on a sheltered harbor surrounded by craggy volcanic hills. The Banks Posted by DavidandHazel in Kiwis & Kangaroos | Feb 11, 2014
- All AboardAfter two days of touring around the North Island of New Zealand (see previous post) is was time to board the Celebrity Solstice. So after a leisurely morning of walking around we finally got a taxi to take the six Posted by DavidandHazel in Kiwis & Kangaroos | Feb 11, 2014
- Day 29: Lake Hawea to GlenorchyToday my family and I traveled from our wonderful hotel on the shore of Lake Hawea to our...um...cozy (to say the least) backpacker's lodge near Glenorchy. It is fairly clean, at least, which makes it a couple notches better than Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Feb 10, 2014
- REALLY getting away from it all, or The Bra FenceWe were sad to say good-bye to the Lake Hawea Motel with its on-site restaurant and pub, modern hotel amenities, and beautiful view across the lake of the mountains.
Photo from last night with the moonlight shining on Lake Hawea.
[img=http://photos.tr Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Feb 9, 2014
- Glaciers and the FjordlandsFirst stop, Franz Josef Glacier. Without a helicopter and a guide, you're not allowed to walk on the glacier, and there is a fence showing how close you can safely get.
[img=http://photos.trav Posted by smr1188 in Postcards From the Heart | Feb 9, 2014
- Inspiring aspiringAfter a fatiguing day of hiking yesterday, we decided to explore Mt. Aspiring National Park by car and visit several sights easily reached alongside the main road. In the course of a 4-hour car ride we saw jaw-droppingly beautiful Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Feb 8, 2014
- Day 28: Driving Tour Near Lake HaweaToday my family and I took a driving tour of the beautiful mountainous area near out comfortable hotel beside Lake Hawea.
Our first stop was for a small walk to some beautifully colored ponds called the Blue Pools (what an Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Feb 8, 2014
- If a six-year-old can do this...Today we conquered the Sealy Tarns track in the Mt. Cook National Park. The hike has a 2,000 ft. gain. Biggest news: Pearl made it ALL the way to the top. It was her first butt-kicker Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Feb 7, 2014
- Day 27: Butt-kicker!In this case, the title of this post describes an immensely challenging but an immensely rewarding hike my family and I did today in Mt. Cook National Park.
But before I get too ahead of myself, let me tell the events Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Feb 7, 2014
- On Our Way Again
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/367188/large_66F1560B2219AC681734 Posted by DavidandHazel in Kiwis & Kangaroos | Feb 7, 2014
- Drive to Quake CityDriving from Dunedin to Christchurch via the coastal and the scenic route taking in Blueskin Bay, Moeraki Boulders, Omaru, Timaru, Fairlie, Geraldine, Darfield, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch
View of the sea / scenic railway track
[img=http://photos.tr Posted by balawaran in Round the world in 24 days | Feb 7, 2014
- Matamata, Waikato, New Zealand[i]“It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with Posted by Nick-n-Charlie in Our Honeymoon World Tour | Jan 31, 2014
- Day 26: Skanky Motel Be Gone!Today my family and I traveled from our absolutely ghastly motel in Christchurch to the wondrous alpine world of Mt. Cook National Park.
The motel was THE WORST temporary abode we have ever stayed in; all of us agreed upon Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Feb 6, 2014
- More exciting news!Today I lost my top tooth!
At a cool playground by a lake, I got to play on a tractor right here:
I saw glaciers and mountains Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Feb 6, 2014
- A breath of fresh airDue to the moldy hotel, we retreated at the crack of dawn to a surprisingly upscale McDonald's restaurant for a quick breakfast followed by a leisurely teeth brushing in the McD's restroom. Never before has breathing in the fresh scent Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Feb 6, 2014
- Days 23, 24, and 25 in New ZealandHi all,
Here is the combined post for the past three days in New Zealand. Note that the dates are in New Zealand time, of course.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 4:
On this day we went from our cottage in Kaiteriteri to a pleasant chalet Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Feb 6, 2014
- Damage control in ChristchurchYesterday we arrived in Kaikoura along the east coast. It felt to us like Ireland due to the rolling hills, misty weather, and the frequent use of Irish names for the city streets. Our evening dinner of take-out fish Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Feb 5, 2014
- Queenstown = Bungee jumping. I think not...Queenstown. 28/01/14 - 31/01/14
So Queenstown... Birth place of the commercial bungee jump, home to all things adrenaline inducing and the place to see some incredible views. I knew I was in for a good time the moment I arrived. And Posted by HelenHeneghan in Helen goes round the world! | Feb 5, 2014
- Mt Cook!When we got our first glimpse of the tallest mountain in New Zealand it was a jaw dropper! I had heard from our previous bus driver that this was one of the best scenic areas, and boy was she right. Posted by doyledan in There and Back Again........ | Feb 4, 2014
- QueenstownSo we'd taken on the adventure capital head on both getting an adrenaline rush within the first couple of hours of being in Queenstown! But it wasn't just the extreme activities that took our breath away but the amazing beauty Posted by doyledan in There and Back Again........ | Feb 4, 2014
- I'm not a bird, I'm not a plane.... I'm a bird plane!Ian - "Let's run through that one more time, Step... step... RunRunRunRunRuuuun! Any questions?"
Me - "So we just run off the mountain?"
Ian - "Thats right, ready?"
Me - "We'll soon find out!"
This was my quick introduction in how to launch a Posted by doyledan in There and Back Again........ | Feb 4, 2014