- Panamanian ParadiseAnd so begins the epic journey to Panama...
Andy and I arrived at the airport in Rio with plenty of time to spare after getting off of our flight from Floripa. We immediately headed to the desk for Copa airlines to Posted by Pirty in Adventures in Latin America | Dec 10, 2013
- Survivor Panama: Exile IslandYesterday was our final full day on Bastimentos Island. We've loved it here--it reminds us of spending time at Warner's Landing Campground: an uncomplicated lifestyle in a beautiful location with nice people. Henry and Pearl had a Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Dec 8, 2013
- Days 11-13: Last Few Days in ParadiseHi all,
Sorry I have not posted in a while, but like I said, the wifi is spotty here on the beautiful Bastimentos Island in Panama. Despite that one downside, it is truly paradise here, with an ever-lapping sea, sunny skies, Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Dec 7, 2013
- Snorkeling beats shoveling snow anydayWe've enjoyed slowing down our lifestyle on Bastimentos Island. Yesterday we went swimming and kayaking.
Dave and neighbor Reese kayaking with Pearl hitching a ride behind
Just 50 yar Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Dec 6, 2013
- SnorkelingToday I went on a boat ride and our captain was named Michael.
We took a boat to a lunch place. Afterwards we went snorkeling. I was so happy. I saw tiger fish, bra Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Dec 6, 2013
- You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fishWhat's not to like about a day at the beach, especially when through the miracle of wifi, one can look at the Chicago forecast and savor the hot temperature and unbelievably warm water here on Bastimentos Island.
Henry started the day Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Dec 4, 2013
- Days 9 and 10: Bastimentos Island!Hi all,
Yesterday we travelled in a car, in another car, in a bus, in another bus, in a boat, in another boat, and FINALLY to the secluded Bastimentos Island near Bocas del Toro. We are renting a wonderful open house Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Dec 4, 2013
- Island lifeToday we traveled from the western highlands of Chiriqui province to the Bocas del Toro region in the Caribbean. First we traveled by bus for 4 hours.
Dave was ridin Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Dec 3, 2013
- From the mountains to the seaToday I rode a bus, and the trip was 4 hours long. We went from the mountains to the Caribbean Sea.
Seen from our bus:
We went on two boat rides to an island off the coast of Panama.
[img=http://photos Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Dec 3, 2013
- Day 8: The Quest for the Quetzal, Part IIHi all,
Today my dad and I took an intense birding tour with a knowledgable guide in hopes of sighting a Resplendent Quetzal. Here are pictures from the trip, and results from the day can be found at the bottom of Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Dec 2, 2013
- Fowl playIdeally, all four of us would have the same interest level in bird watching. But, three of us are kinda amateurs and one of us is extremely passionate about it. In case you're wondering where you Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Dec 2, 2013
- Final day in the mountainsHi Mrs. Druckmiller and the kids from Room 106!
Here are the answers to your questions:
1. The flight to Panama was 5 hours long. During the flight I drew pictures, read Eve of the Emperor Penguin which was from Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Dec 2, 2013
- I am a monkeyToday I went zip lining. I had my own guide who gave me a taxi ride. I had my own gear--a hard hat and a harness with a lot of straps and buckles. I was brave and Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Dec 1, 2013
- Swinging monkeysOn this beautiful, sunny day we had the good fortune to experience a treetop zip lining tour. Boquete Tree Trek picked us up in their open-air, no-seat-belts trailer and drove us a bone-rattling 7 kilometers up into the mountains. Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Dec 1, 2013
- Day 7: Zip-lining!Hello all,
Today was a break from the birding, so I will attempt to make this post short and sweet.
My family and I went zip-lining over the rainforest today. It was very, very fun, and even my little sister Pearl Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Dec 1, 2013
- Day 6: The Quest For the Quetzal: Part IHi all,
After watching Panama's biggest Independence Day parade in Boquete this morning, our family went on our first quest for the marvelous Resplendent Quetzal.
The hike was at a beautiful coffee plantation that contained a large tract of old-gro Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Nov 30, 2013
- ParadeToday we celebrated Panama Independence Day! At the parade we saw lots of marching bands, dancers, and some motorcycle riders who performed stunts. My dad bought me some M&M's.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/631814/B4A9B0622219AC6817C30C2FCA94 Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters Jr. | Nov 30, 2013
- Más o menosWhen does the parade start?
"11am, más o menos" (more or less) which in reality here in Boquete meant 12:30pm kickoff for the Panamanian Independence Day parade. By coincidence we found ourselves in Panama's biggest Independence Day celebration, compl Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Nov 30, 2013
- Day 5: A relaxing day in BoqueteHi all,
After many busy days in Panama City and traveling, it was nice to have a relaxing day in Boquete. The scenery is magnificent! High mountainous hills, wrapped in foggy cloud forest and dotted with beautiful farms frame the dominating Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Nov 29, 2013
- Rainy day in paradiseToday was a quiet day in Boquete. It rained most of the morning and early afternoon. Our search for quetzals will have to wait for another day.
Fun Panama fact: In Panama City the sun rises over the Pacific Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Nov 29, 2013
- Thanksgiving PizzaToday we said goodbye to Panama City and hello to Boquete. We took a very short domestic flight on the appropriately under-rated Air Panama, an airline that will be hard to forget. The customer service agent who checked Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Nov 28, 2013
- Day 4: We arrive in BoqueteHi all,
After a short, smooth flight from Panama City, our family arrived in Boquete. It is a beautiful part of Panama that is essentially comprised of high mountains blanketed in foggy cloud forest. Here are a few bird photos from Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Nov 28, 2013
- How can a ship climb a mountain?Rather than going into great detail about all of the terrific birding today, please visit Henry's birdwatching blog. [[http://worldbirding.travellerspoint.com/]]
The answer to the question: The Panama Canal!
We spent our morning admiring the Miraf Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Nov 26, 2013
- Day 3: Pipeline Road, Panama Mudflats, EVERYTHING!Hi all,
Today was arguably the best day of birding in my entire life. I saw 86 avian species with a whopping 47 life birds (birds that I hadn't seen before)!
My family and I were picked up at a quarter 'till Posted by skwclar in Birding around the World | Nov 27, 2013
- Birding all day longToday was a huge day of birding--13 hours to be exact. (We don't know how Pearl kept herself pulled together.)
At 5:45am our guide Mario met us at our hotel and drove us all over the Gamboa region of Panama. Posted by skwclar in Gryphon Globetrotters | Nov 27, 2013