- Day 10 - Sacred Valley tours I think that our guide Fernando really wanted us to try eating guinea pig. He kept talking about how much Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Aug 18, 2014
- Aguas CalientesWell!!, What can we say.....up at 4am yesterday at at Machu Picchu by 6.30am in time to see the sun come over the Mts and shine in this A ma zing place. Words just cannot describe the majesty of this Posted by RuthWinmill in Ruth & Ralph's RTW Trip | Aug 18, 2014
- CuscoArrtved to a hot day with our transfer driver ready and waitiing for us - had a. Meeting with our tour guide at 4 pm. Mostly Aussies on the tour, couple from USA, two from Singapore, and us. A nice Posted by RuthWinmill in Ruth & Ralph's RTW Trip | Aug 16, 2014
- Day 9 - Cusco local tours
==J==ust in time, we settled back into our hotel in Cusco for a few nights, breaking our stressful string Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Aug 14, 2014
- LimaI'm a bit frustrated at present with the internet connections here or lack of. Found this morning that we can get WiFi here at the Hotel, not told that yesterday when I asked....
So began filling you all in just before Posted by RuthWinmill in Ruth & Ralph's RTW Trip | Aug 11, 2014
- Day 8 – Altiplano to Cusco To get from Puno back to Cusco, the good news for my family was that we would NOT have to wake up at 4:30am to catch another flight. The bad news was Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Aug 4, 2014
- Day 7 – Juliaca, Puno, and Lake Titicaca I want to take a paragraph to brag about how good my family is at traveling. Miles, who has been shanghaied on many a trip against his wishes, has developed patience, flexibility, Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Aug 4, 2014
- Kicking my heels in Lima
On Friday morning, it was off to Lima. Unfortunately the flght was delayed so did not reach my hotel in Lima until after 4pm. My hotel was very pleasant but in a rather bland suburb called San Miguel. I did Posted by liamwimbo in South America | Aug 3, 2014
- Day 6 - Arequipa Another early morning check out to catch a very early flight from Cusco to Arequipa. My family is tremendously patient, but I sense rumblings of mutiny.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Jul 31, 2014
- A change of scenery - and climate
After a final visit to the main square in Cusco, it was time to head to the airport to catch a flight to Iquitos via Lima in northern Peru. From the airport, Lima looked like the dump other people had Posted by liamwimbo in South America | Jul 31, 2014
- The Emerald of the Andes
During ou Posted by TenekaCJ in Serving in Peru, South America | Jul 31, 2014
- Day 5 - Cusco on the Fly The next morning we left the jungle. If we had had more time, Johan knew where there was a large anaconda snake, and other people at the lodge had also seen it, coiled. Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Jul 30, 2014
- Getting ready for Peru Independence Day
Because Peru Independence Day (28th July) was approaching, hotels were getting full up for the weekend, so I had to find another hotel for Friday and Saturday night. After trying about 8 places that were all full, I finally found Posted by liamwimbo in South America | Jul 28, 2014
- Day 4 - Tambopata National PreserveBathed in sunscreen and perfumed with bugspray, the next morning we followed Johan into the sweaty forest much farther than we had before. Very difficult, slippery walking, and sometimes Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Jul 27, 2014
- ... and a well-deserved beerFrom the Sun Gate, it was a short walk down to the city itself. We did not stay long as we were coming back the next day for a proper tour. We caught the bus down to Aguas Calientes, which Posted by liamwimbo in South America | Jul 26, 2014
- A stroll through the Andes...On Friday I joined the tour to Machu Picchu that I had booked in Oz. After spending two nights in a comfortable hotel in Ollentaytambo which we used as a base for exploring the Sacred Valley of the Incas, it Posted by liamwimbo in South America | Jul 26, 2014
- CuscoCusco has a lovely feel to it. Quite safe and a lovely mix of old and new buildings and interesting colonial architecture.
Our first stop was the equivalent to the central market. Interesting things for sale from cheese, fish, meat, Posted by DianeLewitzke in Enjoy the Journey | Jul 20, 2014
- Puno to CuscoWe left early in the morning and our tour group of 6 people had to join a bus load of other tourists. The bus was very comfortable and even had a toilet and hostess.
Puno is 3810 above sea level. We Posted by DianeLewitzke in Enjoy the Journey | Jul 19, 2014
- ArequipaArequipa has a population of about 1 million. We went on a city tour and initially viewed 3 volcanoes - Mistie, Picchu Picchu and i can't spell the other one. We drove around the narrow cobbled streets and then visited Posted by DianeLewitzke in Enjoy the Journey | Jul 16, 2014
- Machu PicchuWe caught the train from Ollantaytambo. Dave enjoyed the train trip. It took about 90 minutes. The scenery was wonderful on the way. (PS I have updated photos on previous entry)
The trip to Machu Picchu was a big day but Posted by DianeLewitzke in Enjoy the Journey | Jul 22, 2014
- Day 3 - Lima to the JungleHere is an entry from guest blogger Miles Rand:
“Today (Sunday) was very interesting! To begin with my parents over slept, which was the start of a very hectic morning.
We were suppose Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Jul 23, 2014
- Day 2 - Lima We slept very late on Saturday, and again Jae and Miles and I wanted to walk as much as possible to counteract all the plane flights on this trip. As we explored the hotel neighborhood Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Jul 22, 2014
- Day 1 - Los Angeles, San Salvador, LimaYou might wonder…Why South America? We originally tagged this as a trip to celebrate son Miles’ college graduation, but my work schedule had delayed it for 6 months. Of the many places we’d Posted by hippocampus in Saludos South America 2014 | Jul 22, 2014
- Peru- Lima, Cusco and the Inca TrailHola from Peru! Tim and I have been gone for only a little over a week, but already we feel like we've experienced and seen a lot.
On January 23 Tim's parents, Barb and Steve, drove us from Madison to Posted by sarahpuckett in International Exploration | Feb 7, 2014
- Gracias Peru!It's time to leave South America...tomorrow I'm flying out to Hawaii (terrible, I know). Gracias Peru, I had a wonderful time!
Since I learnt Spanish 14 years ago, it has always been my dream to visit South America. I Posted by AndreaLed in Andrea's Trip Around the World | Jul 21, 2014