- A view of IchupampaThis is the village we visited today. If was devistated by an earthquake 3months ago, homes, roads, local church. One of few buildings left was the"health center". we saw and treated over100 adults and children in5 hours today.no time Posted by paul pierce in paul in Peru 2016 | Nov 5, 2016
- November 3, 2016On November 1, All Saints Day, we left Cusco and headed to Puno. To be honest, until we planned this trip, I had never heard of this city. Puno is located on the shores of Titicaca Lake.
G Adventures arranged our Posted by TKerrone in South America | Nov 5, 2016
- October 31, 2016 (Happy Halloween!)This is our last day in Cusco. After hiking the Lares Trek and exploring Machu Picchu, everyone in the group has enjoyed the opportunity to catch up on sleep, have hot showers, get laundry done and explore the city Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 31, 2016
- October 29, 2016Machu Piccchu is one of the new seven wonders of the world and after visiting this ancient site, I can understand why it was selected.
To reach the ruins you must first queue in a line to wait for one of Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 29, 2016
- October 29, 2016We did it! Don and I successfully completed the Lares Trek. I have added some pictures and a few comments that may help to visualize what we experienced along the trail.
Don and I were physically prepared for the hike, Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 29, 2016
- October 24, 2016We are in the small town of Ollantaytambo (isn't that a great name for a village?). Ollantay was an Incan prince and tambo means village. Tomorrow morning we drive for about 3 hours to the town of Lares, where we Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 24, 2016
- October 23, 2016It was another early start, we left our hotel in Arequipa at 6:30 a.m. for a short drive to the local airport. The flight left shortly after 9 and we were in Cusco thirty minutes later. There were only a Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 23, 2016
- October 22, 2016On Friday morning our group left Arequipa, at 2300 m to travel to Chivay, located 3600 m above sea level. This trip is to help with preparing us for our trek to Machu Picchu.
A local guide joined us on Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 23, 2016
- October 20, 2016On Wednesday night we took an overnight bus from Nazca to Arequipa . I was not looking forward to the ten hour trip, but the journey was not too bad.
Arequipa is about 2300 m above sea levels and Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 21, 2016
- October 18, 2016At 8:30 this morning we boarded a boat and headed to a Isla Ballestas, a national reserve, famous for the thousands of birds that live on the island. We saw, and smelled, the birds. In addition, we saw sea lions Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 19, 2016
- October 17, 2016Last night we met the members of our group. There are several people from Australia, a few from the U.K., two from Germany and two other Canadians. The youngest is 23 and the oldest person is 70.
This morning we had Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 17, 2016
- LimaAlthough the tour does not officially begin until 7:00 p.m. this evening, we have met some of our fellow travellers. This morning we met May and Marietta and after some coffee, we decided to join them for the first part Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 16, 2016
- LimaOur trip from Vancouver to Lima went very smoothly. I'm always relieved when our luggage arrives, the driver we paid to collect us Just after midnight is still waiting fo us at 1:30 a.m., and the hotel has our reservations.
The Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 16, 2016
- Lima[float=left]Don and I discovered yesterday that walking along the melacon is easy and we had read that the area next to Miraflores, Barracon, is worth visiting, so we decided to head in that direction.
I tried using Strava, an app Posted by TKerrone in South America | Oct 16, 2016
- Puno and Lake Titicaca pt. 1I had a muuuuch more comfortable ride back to Cusco, slept almost the whole time! So great!
I took a taxi to the bed and breakfast single room that I'd booked. They let me check in early and I jumped Posted by elliehirch in 8 Month Adventure | Oct 12, 2016
- AmazonAfter my worst night bus so far... I finally arrived in Puerto Maldonado. This was partly my fault, partly just the route. I accidentally didn't book the 160 degree seat online but I didn't know that so it was a Posted by elliehirch in 8 Month Adventure | Oct 12, 2016
- Back to Cusco and Rainbow MountainAlli and I managed to sleep in on our last day together! Well, I did wake-up at 5:30, fall back asleep til 7, not get out of bed until 8:30, that counts as sleeping in for me! She had wanted Posted by elliehirch in 8 Month Adventure | Oct 12, 2016
- Cusco and Lares trekOur first day in Cusco, Alli and I were determined to take it easy. Especially after an early arrival on the night bus. They turned the lights and music/tv on the bus on quite far ahead of our arrival! But Posted by elliehirch in 8 Month Adventure | Oct 12, 2016
- Puno & Farewell to PeruAfter taking so many night buses (and knowing yet another was coming up) I'm proud to say I finally enjoyed my first down day after over a month of travel! I made the most of a few hours in a Posted by elliehirch in Travel, She Wrote | Oct 11, 2016
- I'm a piranha, they live in the Amazon!Well, I've made it safe and sound after three days in the jungle! Three hot, sweaty, humid, beautiful, amazing days in the Amazon Rainforest!
After my night bus (which sucked due to the huge decrease in elevation from Cusco), I Posted by elliehirch in Travel, She Wrote | Oct 6, 2016
- Back to Cusco & Rainbow MountainLast day in Cusco with Alli... Talk about bittersweet! We had a nice day to take it easy, walk around a bit, and of course get in some of our favourite.. Tourist shopping.
We enjoyed one last morning with our Posted by elliehirch in Travel, She Wrote | Oct 6, 2016
- Alli and Ellie hike to Machu PicchuBefore we embarked on our two weeks together, Alli and I came up with two hashtags or slogans for our time together. #AlliandElliedrinkPeru and #AlliandElliehikePeru. So far we have only succeeded at the latter. While we have tried lots of Posted by elliehirch in Travel, She Wrote | Oct 1, 2016
- Arequipa and Colca CanyonAfter another windy, slow bus ride we made er back to Lima. This time Alli and I took gravol and managed to sleep maybe three quarters of the time but I think it was still in our system when we Posted by elliehirch in 8 Month Adventure | Oct 1, 2016
- Lima and Huaraz After a very restless night, largely due to mosquitos (I am now literally covered in bites, arms, legs like constellations, itchiest bites I've ever had) even with spray before sleep, the 2:30 alarm was a hard one. I grabbed all Posted by elliehirch in 8 Month Adventure | Oct 1, 2016
- Arequipa & the Colca CanyonWell, while Alli and I are getting better at Peruvian night buses (managed to sleep ~3/4 of the time), it was a very groggy morning in Lima. Which may have been the previous nights gravol, or the 6 on the Posted by elliehirch in Travel, She Wrote | Sep 25, 2016