- Colca Canyon, condors and coca teaWe left Arequipa with a new guide Hildana and driver Luis for our three day ride to Puno, via the Colca Canyon. Regrettably our van broke down in a little village in the middle of nowhere; some material from the Posted by lindrum in Jan & Tony & Linda & Al | Nov 30, 2015
- Preparing for El NiñoIn my mind, when there's an impending natural disaster, that you know about in advance, preparing in any way you can seems reasonable. With this, and the fact that I said I would cover El Niño more thoroughly, in mind, Posted by Rebecca Heller in Rebecca's Big Adventure | Nov 28, 2015
- I went to Cajamarca and bought 5kg of cheeseLast weekend I took a trip to Cajamarca, a historically important highland city about 6 hours north of Trujillo. It's known as the place where Inca ruler Atahualpa finally fell to the Spanish in 1532, marking the end of the Posted by Rebecca Heller in Rebecca's Big Adventure | Nov 28, 2015
- Macchu PicchuOur trip to Machu Picchu was the pinnacle of our South American adventure and consequentially what we based the rest of our itinerary around. It’s been on the bucket list for me since I was 8 years old, the iconic Posted by 2kiwicompaneros in Viva South America!! | Nov 22, 2015
- Down to the Sacred ValleyThis morning we regrettably had our final breakfast of crepes and coffee at La'Bom,( I hope we return one day the place and staff are just great) and repacked our bags, mine now considerably heavier with an extra 1.5kg of Posted by 2kiwicompaneros in Viva South America!! | Nov 22, 2015
- One more day in CuscoToday was another relaxed day and involved a little more sightseeing, souvenir shopping and trek snack purchasing. The local supermarket had cute mini soft drinks and stocked my newly discovered favourite, Inca Kola, which is made from lemon verbena (for Posted by Nezabella in Our American and African Adventures | Nov 18, 2015
- The much anticipated trip to the 'other beach', Puerto MorínOn Sunday we finally made it to the 'other beach'. Although I only heard about it two days before, there was so much talk about going that my expectations were high.
A couple of volunteers had heard about Puerto Morín Posted by Rebecca Heller in Rebecca's Big Adventure | Nov 18, 2015
- Acclimatisation and exploring CuscoAfter brekky, we headed out to explore the city further, looking for a bank to withdraw cash to pay our final trek payment. Unfortunately, none of the banks would do withdrawals from international accounts so we had to pay via Posted by Nezabella in Our American and African Adventures | Nov 17, 2015
- Where did the time go?Okay so it's been a ridiculously long time since I have posted. It has also been a very busy 5-6 weeks and this is my first free and concentrated moment where I can sit down and update everyone on what Posted by alexandrang98 in 10 meses en San Borja | Nov 16, 2015
- Intro to CuscoA day of flights awaited us today. We had a very early flight to Panama City leaving at 3.40am, arriving at 6.23am with a 2.5hr stopover, then a 9.06am departure for a 3.5hr flight to Lima with a 2.5hr stopover, Posted by Nezabella in Our American and African Adventures | Nov 16, 2015
- Arequipa = quip Area==Day 26==
We flew from a very busy Lima airport (see photo) to Arequipa, the White City.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com Posted by lindrum in Jan & Tony & Linda & Al | Nov 14, 2015
- Friday 13thThe problem with booking online is you never know exactly what you're going to get.
Due to our time restrictions we decided to book everything in advance this trip (not our usual style I know, but its good to try Posted by 2kiwicompaneros in Viva South America!! | Nov 14, 2015
- Amazin' AmazonGreetings everyone, hope you're enjoying the blog. We have survived the sweltering heat of the Amazon to bring you this update. Enjoy.
Arrived Iquitos, a city of one million inhabitants, almost all of whom ride mototaxis (motorcycles pul Posted by lindrum in Jan & Tony & Linda & Al | Nov 13, 2015
- Huaraz - exploring at altitudeThis time last week I had been in Huaraz for all of about 3 hours, having arrived with 5 other volunteers in the early hours. We'd taken an overnight bus from Trujillo to Huaraz, and were already waiting to go Posted by Rebecca Heller in Rebecca's Big Adventure | Nov 13, 2015
- Cusco Baby!!!Jetlagged, exhausted, and with the quickly dawning realisation that speaking a few words of a language is vastly different to partaking in a conversation of it, we hailed a cab from Cusco airport. Trick for new players- the cabbie's fares Posted by 2kiwicompaneros in Viva South America!! | Nov 12, 2015
- maiL from Lima==Day 20 2nd November and Day 21==
Flew to Lima in Peru seeing the snow-capped Andes on the way. Arrived Lima. Had lunch in the central park with many scrawny cats. Took in the view from the cliffs at Miraflores. Ventured Posted by lindrum in Jan & Tony & Linda & Al | Nov 12, 2015
- The Incan Empire of PeruCusco
We flew from Rurrenabaque in Bolivia to Cusco in Peru. We were up at 5am in Rurrenabaque and made our way to the shuttle bus pick up point to take us to the tiniest airport we've ever seen. It was Posted by nathanruth in Backpacks, Buses and Beyond | Nov 10, 2015
- PeruHours on plane: 17.5
Hours on bus: 61
Hours on a train: 2
Phil's injury count to date: 2 (one sprained ankle and a minor laceration to little toe)
Things were have learnt:
Doxycycline does indeed induce photo sensitivity.
Cocoa leaves do help Posted by PhilR in Randerlams on Tour | Nov 8, 2015
- A long flight but in ArequipaTypical flight delays but safety and flexibility are what I aim for. Arrived and meet the team. Lots of very positive energy and singular focus.
very dry closely packe Posted by paul pierce in Paul in Peru | Nov 7, 2015
- another adventure
lots of big bags, THE HAT, and a certain "Dr. Duck" are ready for one more adventure.
Posted by paul pierce in Paul in Peru | Nov 4, 2015
- All things newSomehow nearly three weeks have flown by since the beginning of my trip and I have already finished my second week of teaching in two primary schools around Huanchaco. It's been so busy that it feels as though I've been Posted by Rebecca Heller in Rebecca's Big Adventure | Oct 31, 2015
- The Inca Cities of Peru
We arrived in Cusco after the most crazy overnight bus. Lewis got sick potentially from one of four options: food poisoning, altitude,the bus drivers manic driving or a combination of al Posted by chellebelle in Nil Responsibilities 'Til 30 | Oct 31, 2015
- The Pilgrimage to Machu Picchu
The Inca Trail started nice and early, 7am and we were in our shuttle departing Ollantaytambo. It was D-Day. We were starting the trek that we had planned over six months ago! The track Posted by chellebelle in Nil Responsibilities 'Til 30 | Oct 27, 2015
- Ica - Paracas - Ballestas Islands - LimaChristian told us yesterday that breakfast is served from 06:00; this was also confirmed by reception last night. It is a shame nobody told the restaurant. At 06:00 there are a few items of fruit, but not a lot else. Posted by Grete Howard in Grete's Travels | Oct 28, 2002
- Lima - IcaWe leave the hotel just after 06:00 for the short journey to the bus station. Compared with Bristol Bus Station, this is wonderful. It is much more upmarket, in fact it is more like an airport, where you check in Posted by Grete Howard in Grete's Travels | Oct 27, 2002