- Photos 14.09.14
Sally outside our cute accommodation
Plane selfie before take off! Posted by sallyandemily in Sally and Emily | Sep 14, 2014
- 14.09.14We arrived into Tigru Mures this morning after an 8.30 AM flight. We were nervous as we got off the plane, entering the smallest airport we've ever seen! We were filled with excitement about starting our gap year, and any Posted by sallyandemily in Sally and Emily | Sep 14, 2014
- ConstantaWe were not in Constanta long enough to draw any conclusions, but we did experience some travel headache which this post might help others to avoid...
Local transport: We were in a hotel about a mile and a half from the Posted by UnwindRoad in Unwind on the Silk Road | Sep 13, 2014
- BrasovTrain station: It's a couple of miles from the train station to the old town. Beware if you get a taxi. The first guy we asked wanted 16Euros or 60Lei so we walked away. A second guy ran up and Posted by UnwindRoad in Unwind on the Silk Road | Sep 11, 2014
- Cluj-NapocaRomania's 2nd city is dominated by its universities, and the number of students gives it a youthful, bohemian feel. The old town covers a very small area, though, which makes walking around the centre a very relaxing experience.
Train station: Is Posted by UnwindRoad in Unwind on the Silk Road | Sep 8, 2014
- TransylvaniaToday we walked from our hotel to the main square in the old part of the city of Cluj Napoca. In this square, Piaţa Unirii. This square is dominated by the gothic church of Saint Michael. This church belonged to Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 29, 2014
- TransylvaniaToday we left our things in the hotel and drove back to Targu Mures (30 Km). We only had time to look at the beautiful concert hall before we had to return to our hotel and check out by 12 Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 28, 2014
- TransylvaniaToday started off overcast but pleasant in temperature as we made our way from Odorheiu Secuiesc to Sighşoara. This involved a detour to the UNESCO classified fortified Unitarian church at Dârjiu. The UNESCO classification was granted because of the 15th Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 28, 2014
- TransylvaniaWe left Gheorgheni and drove back to the gorge we drove through late yesterday to take photos. The Békás gorge is a dramatic pass through the Carpathian mountains. The road winds between 200-300m cliffs of limestone for several kilometres. There Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 26, 2014
- TransylvaniaWe walked around Sfántu Gheorghe taking photos of early 18th century gates in the garden of the museum. (The museum was closed being Monday) We then set out to the town of Miercurea Ciuc. This also is a pilgrimage site Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 25, 2014
- TransylvaniaToday we started our journey by travelling along some pretty poor roads to a pretty lake called Lake Saint Anna (Lacul Sfántu Ana.) This is one of two craters of the extinct volcano Nagy Csomád Mountain (or its Romanian name Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 25, 2014
- TransylvaniaThis morning we walked from our hotel up to Bran Castle. This is the castle associated with Vlad the Impaler and the basis for Bram Stokers fictional “Dracula”. Needless to say it was very touristy but the castle itself was Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 23, 2014
- TransylvaniaWe set off after breakfast to visit the medieval most intact Gothic castle in Transylvania, not far from our hotel in Hundoara. The castle is close to industrialised scarified buildings, typical of the communist era which is a bit incongruous. Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 22, 2014
- TransylvaniaDrove from Csillaghegy to Arad, through some very heavy rain. Crossing the border between Hungary and Romania was not so bad for cars but a nightmare for trucks in both directions. They were literally queued for miles. The roads were Posted by MareeandIsti in Retired Travellers | Aug 22, 2014
- And we're building in Oradea!After a delicious dinner at Time Out in Beius, we headed to the city of Oradea where Habitat is building 30 homes in the next two years. We spent the night at Camunel Felix to work in the morning Posted by gooberkn in GV Beius 2014 | Jul 20, 2014
- And tonight I said goodbye to my summer homeThursday and Friday our team worked in town near our hotel in Beius. We worked with Adi and Mirela Iancu. Their habitat house is located behind Adi's father's house and they are expecting a baby this winter.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/401 Posted by gooberkn in GV Beius 2014 | Jul 18, 2014
- Day 3 in BeiusI started off the day with a beautiful early morning run. It was so quiet and peaceful and gave me a chance to reflect a bit on this experience. And take some more pictures of this beautiful town!
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/401268/9C5F6FF12 Posted by gooberkn in GV Beius 2014 | Jul 16, 2014
- tracksFor six weeks I barely wrote a word. Not just here, but my journal famished too: only a couple pages to account for over a month; poor thing. But I am on a train again, earth rolling beneath my feet. Posted by Zaspirucho in Thoughts from afar | Jul 16, 2014
- Another Amazing Day!!!Today - what an amazing day! We travelled about 30 minutes to the town of Soimi where we met the Bunta family. You can check out their story in a previous blog entry.
Posted by gooberkn in GV Beius 2014 | Jul 15, 2014
- We've Made it to Beius!We're finally in Romania! It is so nice to return back to my summer home and see all my friends at Habitat Beius. The drive from Budapest to Beius was so familiar yesterday and so wonderful. I'm privilege to be Posted by gooberkn in GV Beius 2014 | Jul 14, 2014
- PhotosHave got so many pictures, if anyone would like more, please let me know and can email the folder to you direct! It truly is an amazing cemetery. Posted by Combes Caper in Grandfolks Grand Tour | Jul 10, 2014
- CAMPINA TO BRISTRITA AND SIGHETU MARMETAIEe have JULY 7TH and 8TH to 10th
CAMPINA TO BISTRITA
The first part of the day went well, we reached Sigishoara for lunch, and went to the Austrian Gasthof again. Took another walk around the citadel and hoped to find the Posted by Combes Caper in Grandfolks Grand Tour | Jul 10, 2014
- Veliko Tarnovo to CampinaSUNDAY 6TH JULY
VELIKO TARNOVO TO CAMPINA
Baking hot day from first thing and we set off for Bucharest. En route it was amazingly peaceful, we chose the right day to travel, hardly any lorries and not many cars. At the Posted by Combes Caper in Grandfolks Grand Tour | Jul 8, 2014
- CAMPINA TO BISTRITAJULY 7TH and 8TH
CAMPINA TO BISTRITA
The first part of the day went well, we reached Sigishoara for lunch, and went to the Austrian Gasthof again. Took another walk around the citadel and hoped to find the lace butterfly for Susan. Posted by Combes Caper in Grandfolks Grand Tour | Jul 8, 2014
- Speeding Fine and Astra Village Sibiu30th June
Speeding Ticket Fine and Astra Village, Sibiu
Our last day here in Transylvania, though we now want to see more of the it, and will probably make our way back with visit to some of the more northern areas of Posted by Combes Caper in Grandfolks Grand Tour | Jul 2, 2014