- On the road againWell it was time to get back on the road, so after saying goodbye to Kostyn who gave me a gift of one of those wooden Russian dolls and also saying goodbye to his eldest daughter, I hit the road, Posted by Speedmaster58 in Wrong Way round to Sweden via Mongolia | Jul 11, 2016
- Update Number 2After some more sightseeing we set off for Nizhni Novgorod and Marrianna's city appartment so she could get ready for her trip to Moscow. On the way we collected my water pump repair kit from the local BMW car dealers, Posted by Speedmaster58 in Wrong Way round to Sweden via Mongolia | Jul 10, 2016
- Update number 1Before I left Penza, I noticed that I had a leak from my water pump on the bike, a common problem and that would explain the overheating! After consulting the Haynes "oracle" I messaged Luke my son and Jack Hanlon Posted by Speedmaster58 in Wrong Way round to Sweden via Mongolia | Jul 9, 2016
- Day 14,15 &16having left the Hotel in Rostov I was having a slight difficulty finding the right road out of town to Moscow, so as you do I pulled over next to a Police car to ask directions. Top blokes, indicated for Posted by Speedmaster58 in Wrong Way round to Sweden via Mongolia | Jun 28, 2016
- Day 13Today has been a catch up day for both washing and sorting out registration paperwork along with getting a Russian Sim, buying supplies and checking the bike out.
[img=http://photos.travellersp Posted by Speedmaster58 in Wrong Way round to Sweden via Mongolia | Jun 24, 2016
- Day 11 & 12The lady in the Motel had asked what time I wanted breakfast, 8am would be fine... 8.30 and still no sign of life I decided to just crack on and get breakfast on the run.
After a couple of navigational errors Posted by Speedmaster58 in Wrong Way round to Sweden via Mongolia | Jun 23, 2016
- When did Renaissance Art become a Contact Sport?Our plan for today was to visit the Hermitage, the winter palace and home of the Russian Tsars between 1763 and 1917.
We catch an early morning trolley bus to Nevsky Prospekt, where we get the feeling the locals are Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 22, 2016
- Sparkling St PetersburgWith two days to explore, our first day is a quick general seeing day as tomorrow is set aside for the Hermitage, the winter palace for the Russian Royal Family.
The quickest way to get to know a city when Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 22, 2016
- Subway Spotting Our last day in Moscow and we still had some time in the morning for sightseeing.
We considered ourselves quite expert at navigating the subway and at only 50 rubles each, we did a little "subway spotting" as Moscow's subway Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 17, 2016
- Moscow - the Heart of RussiaJen was really looking forward to this day but I could tell she was a little apprehensive. Last time here she had a little run in with Russian security guards with Kalashnikov weapons when she tried to get into the Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 17, 2016
- Freedom - now for Mockva and Red SquareWe arrived in Mockba after 5098 km and probably smelling a bit after 4 nights without a shower. Our friendly driver took us to the Ismaylova hotel about 5 subway stops from Red Square. We definitely enjoyed our first shower Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 12, 2016
- Day 3 of our Siberian Incarceration... Morning town = Perm 2 , travelled 3600 km, 1500 km to go
Day 3 activities ....... See previous day activities. Still nothing changes.
We had a 30 minute stop late this morning and so I did the " Mission Impossible" Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 11, 2016
- Are we there yet?Morning town = Barbarinsk, 2000 km travelled and 3100 km to go.
Generally early in the morning we stop off for about 30 minutes at a station. Most of the times the station stops are only between 2 and 5 minutes. Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 11, 2016
- Forests, Farming and Crumbling FactoriesHaving departed Irkutsk yesterday afternoon, we travelled through the night.
In the morning we arrived in Ilyanska. 800 km's down, 4300 to go!
We had the cabin to ourselves as our tour p Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 10, 2016
- Crossing the Tran-Siberian frontierLast night was our last sleep before we embark on the final frontier of four nights on the trans-Mongolian train from Irkutsk to Russia, one of the great train rides that covers 5093 km. The other well known train is Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 9, 2016
- The Pearl of Siberia From my teenage years of watching Hogan's Heroes and war movies, Siberia was always the place to send convicts, political dissidents, and any other trouble makers, so I had an impression that Siberia was going to be a harsh desolate Posted by tszeitli in Continental Drift | Jun 8, 2016
- Navigating the seas to Russia
The next stop on the itinerary is St. Petersburg, Russia. Growing up during the Cold War, Russia has always been on my must-visit list. Traveling to Russia can be a challenge. There are hu Posted by darrenesl in Darren and Terri's Travels | Jun 7, 2016
- Russia, EuropeMy last flight was CAD$249 for a 8hr 45min ride with 1 stop in RIX for 4hr 25min via Air Baltic. The hotel I stayed at was the Hotel Metropol Moscow which was CAD$188 per night, or CAD$664.80 for Posted by TravelBuddy2016 in My Dream Trip around the World | Jun 2, 2016
- St PetersburgWe headed out looking for a local meal and spied a restaurant ahead. As we walked toward it I noticed that there was a stairway going under a building which had some indications of food. We got closer Posted by loueeezo in The adventures of L & P | Jun 2, 2016
- Moscow to St PetersburgAfter going to bed at 2am you would think that we would be sleeping in... but no such luck! The saying goes that if you get up at 4am you can get really great pictures of St Basil's Cathedral Posted by loueeezo in The adventures of L & P | Jun 1, 2016
- Moscow day 2With our feet already aching we joined a free walking tour of Moscow which met in a nearby park not far from our hotel. The tour showed some of the more historical points of Moscow as well as some Posted by loueeezo in The adventures of L & P | May 30, 2016
- Moscow - the sightsWe got up and wandered down to Red square to find it closed off. Not knowing what was going on we headed into GUM shopping centre which also seemed remarkably empty all things considered. After window shopping for Posted by loueeezo in The adventures of L & P | May 30, 2016
- Moscow here we comeWe got up relatively early as John and Christa had an early train to catch and we had to navigate our way to Heathrow airport for our flight to Moscow. After a kind lift to the metro station and Posted by loueeezo in The adventures of L & P | May 30, 2016
- Returning home Repacking my bags now when I’m “only” flying back home. Breakfast was served at the hotel and free transfer back to Sheremetyevo International Airport. My advice to you who are flying from Sheremetyevo International Airport is to be well in Posted by bejjan in MiG-29 Flight | Apr 28, 2016
- Back-up day This day was back-up day in case the flight yesterday would not have been implemented as planned due to technical problems with the actual aircraft or weather conditions etc. So instead there was a guided city tour in the city Posted by bejjan in MiG-29 Flight | Apr 27, 2016