- When Sonja Met StolbyKrasnoyarsk, July 28h 2014
Copying from [[http://www.stolby.ru/eng/|Stolby's website]]:
[i]Looking east of the Urals in the physiographic map of Russia, there's a green field on the left, the West Siberian Plain, and a brown field on the right, the Mi Posted by automidori in Call Me Sonja | Aug 24, 2014
- Singapore to Moscow - Sunday, 24 August 2014We boarded the plane and took off at 2.30 am for our 10.10 hour flight to Moscow. I started watching a movie but was struggling with the sound, so went to sleep and pretty well slept most of the flight, Posted by gaddingabout in Russian Rv Cruise; Baltic States; Greece | Aug 24, 2014
- Ulan Ude to KhabarovskSo there I was at 4am entering car No.7 looking for berth No.5, easy enough to find but as 1st class cabins are restricted to two people I thought it a good idea to knock before I crashed through the Posted by ScottyJ in Road of Bones 2014 | Aug 23, 2014
- Flowers of the FieldKrasnoyarsk, July 27th 2014
When I was a kid, I often heard:
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin."
Then I wondered: "Flowers of the field?"
"That means wild Posted by automidori in Call Me Sonja | Aug 22, 2014
- Boyhood Dream No.2Decisions, decisions…………..? I’m committed to being in Magadan for the end but do I go to Vladivostok (VVO) and fly or meet the group in Yakutsk (YKS) and spend the last 5 days travelling in the truck on the actual Posted by ScottyJ in Road of Bones 2014 | Aug 20, 2014
- Ulan Ude and a lesson in Russian logisticsWe arrived Saturday midday in Ulan Ude and had lunch in the main square with the entire group and said our goodbyes. Alpha had arrived the night before and had decided to stay another night to catch up with Oscar Posted by ScottyJ in Road of Bones 2014 | Aug 20, 2014
- My Dacha Ultimate ExperienceKrasnoyarsk, July 27th 2014
In archaic Russian, said [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacha|Wikipedia]], the word dacha means "something given". The first dachas in Russia began to appear during the reign of [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_the_Great Posted by automidori in Call Me Sonja | Aug 19, 2014
- Finally Found My Future HomeToday was shorter than most. We drove an hour outside of the city to Peter the Great’s summer palace, Peterhof. Peter the Great never actually lived in the palace. In fact, he hated it and choose to live in a Posted by kristinameyers in The Vogue Voyager | Aug 19, 2014
- St. Petersburg Part IIToday, we visited the Hermitage Museum. Located inside 5 buildings, including the Winter Palace, Catherine the Great commissioned them to house some of the world’s finest art. In fact, this museum holds the largest collection of art in the world. Posted by kristinameyers in The Vogue Voyager | Aug 19, 2014
- Falling in Love with St. PetersburgLet me first start by saying I was excited for Russia because of my sophomore year history class. But nothing prepared me for what I saw. We met our tour guide, this sassy short woman who is one of the Posted by kristinameyers in The Vogue Voyager | Aug 19, 2014
- Rolling to KrasnoyarskFrom Novosibirsk to Krasnoyarsk,
July 26th - 27th 2014
Apparently, when I was taking a shower, so had the city. The streets were wet with puddles here and there. Luckily the rain had stopped, because I had planned to walk to Posted by automidori in Call Me Sonja | Aug 18, 2014
- My Fine HostelNovosibirsk, Juy 25-26th 2014
Do you remember when I mentioned about getting through the black gate [[http://callmesonja.travellerspoint.com/74/|here]]? That's the gate. Actually I didn't le Posted by automidori in Call Me Sonja | Aug 18, 2014
- Novosibirsk, the City at a GlanceNovosibirsk, July 26th 2014
Good morning, Russia! This is the street near my hostel, from where I started my [[http://callmesonja.travellerspoint.com/75/|money-changer-quest]]. Along Posted by automidori in Call Me Sonja | Aug 18, 2014
- Lessons in NovosibirskNovosibirsk, July 26th 2014
Last night my host showed me the kitchen and where I could get cornflakes, milk, and... coffee. Yes, for free. That was music to my ears, especially that third one. So I woke up excited. Hmmm.... I Posted by automidori in Call Me Sonja | Aug 17, 2014
- Welcome to NovosibirskNovosibirsk, July 25th 2014
From Urumqi (China) I flew to Novosibirsk. How I wished I could cross the border overland. No way. Literally, no way.
For me, Russia rolled a red carpet in the Posted by automidori in Call Me Sonja | Aug 15, 2014
- Moscow to St. PetersburgHi Everyone - Elliot here this time 'round.
This post is to document our trip to Moscow and St Petersburg. Since I was the principal tourist on this trip I'll be guest authoring this post and narrating our journey through Posted by LizaSopina in In the Land of Socialist Vikings | Aug 14, 2014
- 2014 F9 OCEAN PRINCESS - St. PETERSBURG, METRONOT QUITE TIME FOR BED - A DETOUR OUT ON DECK .....
FOR A LOOK AT THE SUN GOING DOWN ON THE ST.PETERSBURG SKYLINE ....
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/645621/large_P1170907.jpg Posted by hasbeen in MOSTLY CRUISING | Jan 31, 2004
- Day 49Our trip came to an end. We are all packed. We barely fit all the gifts in our suitcases.
We are so excited to come back to America! It was very hard to put girls to bed. KitKat was sitting on Posted by thezims in Russia | Aug 4, 2014
- Days 41-48We had a busy last week visiting with friends, going to dacha and spending time with family.
We went to see Omsk Russian Choir and Dance Group which was fantastic!
I will post some pics later. Posted by thezims in Russia | Aug 4, 2014
- 2014 F8 OCEAN PRINCESS - St. PETERSBURG, FOLKLORIC SHOWONE OF THE PRINCESS EXCURSIONS WAS TO A FOLKLORIC SHOW.
AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, WE ALSO HAD SOME ENTERTAINERS COME ABOARD TO GIVE US A SHOW. THIS WAS FOR FREE OF COURSE.
SOMETHING OF A BARGAIN ,,,,,
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/645621/l Posted by hasbeen in MOSTLY CRUISING | Jan 31, 2004
- 2014 F7 OCEAN PRINCESS - St. PETERSBURG, THE HERMITAGEMOVING UP THE BALTIC A LITTLE, WE NOW REACH ST. PETERSBURG.
I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO COME HERE FOR A WHILE & IT IS A MAJOR REASON FOR MY BEING ON THIS CRUISE.
THE SHIP IS HERE FOR TWO DAYS. I DID Posted by hasbeen in MOSTLY CRUISING | Jan 31, 2004
- “I” time in IrkutskTonight is to be a camp stop before we arrive in Irkutsk and present at the Mongolian embassy to obtain our visas. The ride was excellent with kilometres of Siberian forest lining each side of the road and cool air Posted by ScottyJ in Road of Bones 2014 | Aug 1, 2014
- From Russia with Love….I was tinged with sadness when leaving Almaty, the old travellers curse, “there’s too many goodbyes”. I had met so many great people and could have stayed longer but it is a group and there is an itinerary…..!! Bugger :-)
Posted by ScottyJ in Road of Bones 2014 | Jul 30, 2014
- Computer GlitchA mindless start to the day saw me drop my laptop :-( and a few things got bent....all straight now and should be posting again soon
Cheers from somewhere in Siberia!
Posted by ScottyJ in Road of Bones 2014 | Jul 28, 2014
- Day 40We liked circus so much that we decided to go again and see the new show. The acrobats were fantastic, and a lot of them do tricks uphigh without any insurance. Amazing! The lighting was very good, too! The animals Posted by thezims in Russia | Jul 20, 2014