- Day 1The official adventure began at 11 am when I met Kara, a Welgedacht staff member, at the pick-up location. We piled 12 new volunteers into two safari trucks with luggage in tow, and set off for a shopping center. Posted by grendak in South Africa | Jul 22, 2014
- I made it to South Africa!I finally made it to Africa! I'm spending a night at the Intercontinental (on airport property) and then the true adventure starts tomorrow morning at 11am! Delta is the only airline with a direct U.S. to South Africa Posted by grendak in South Africa | Jul 20, 2014
- Zomer 2014De route ligt vast, de accommodaties zijn geboekt dus klaar om te gaan...ooh nee nog een ruime anderhalve week!
De route is als volgt: aankomst in Johannesburg, een nachtje slapen aldaar en dan naar Swaziland. In Swaziland gaan wij ons sponsorkindje Posted by uhambo in Uhambo | Jul 11, 2014
- Malawi Bound!And so the adventure begins. In case you missed it, I am travelling to Malawi with Marco and Malia, volunteering with Construction for Change. Malia will be working on a project with Ekari, while Marco and I will be working Posted by tylerwein in Backpacks Are For Travel, Not School | Jul 6, 2014
- South AfricaProbably just the only two people we left Brazil few days before the World Cup. With only three stopovers in Sao Paulo, Togo and Addis Ababa we landed in Johannesburg. As a “big” fans of huge cities we picked up Posted by Olga Sapakova in Trav The Traveller | Jul 4, 2014
- A dangerous prescriptionBear with me, but I'm deviating from my normal blog format to write about something I feel incredibly strongly about. This is in no way an indictment of any of the clinics I have been working with. These thoughts are Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | May 21, 2014
- Song of SowetoThe train pulled in at Park Station in the centre of Johannesburg. I was picked up by my hostel, Lebo's Backpackers in Orlando West, Soweto. The South Western Townships have existed in some form since the early 1900s and now Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | May 20, 2014
- Under African SkiesI'd opted for the Premier Classe from Cape Town to Johannesburg, which combined my love of trains with a constant supply of food. I took a cab to the disappointingly concrete Cape Town station where we had tea and croissants Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | May 19, 2014
- Table mannersI navigated the impressive bus system to Greenpoint, where I was staying at the wonderful B.I.G backpackers. Within 10 minutes I'd been invited by my German roommate Monic to First Thursday, a monthly event where shops and galleries stay open Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | May 17, 2014
- 4 out of 5 Sarah (an American who is volunteering at Makaphutu) and I had an early start on Monday to drive up to iSamangaliso wetlands park. We stopped off at the excellent Crocodile Centre where they breed and rehabilitate crocs. Here's a pile Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | May 9, 2014
- Day in the life of Makaphutu
5.45am The children are up and doing chores (whilst singing loudly, more effective than any alarm clock) before breakfast.
6am Any one who has a hospital appointment leaves early- government clinics in South Africa have a first come fi Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | May 6, 2014
- SiyabongaMy final week at Makaphutu turned out to be a week off school- both Thursday and Monday were public holidays so most schools just gave in and gave the children the other days off too.
On Tuesday I visited Lily Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | May 6, 2014
- Finding FreedomI've spent much of the week down at Lily of the Valley conducting the behavioural questionnaires with the house mothers. I also got to see a few patients at the clinic and sat in on the weekly multidisciplinary meeting held Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | Apr 29, 2014
- Cape Town RevisitedI have been to Cape Town many times - as a matter of fact, just prior to this visit I was there for a week long trip just three weeks before! But I'll never tire of this city or the Posted by Ree8 in Cape Town | Apr 24, 2014
- Easter We used our Sunday to visit Durban's northern beaches. The sky was blue, the sand golden and the Indian Ocean pretty bloody ferocious, thus demanding hoards of life guards (who took their touch rugby duties very seriously). Moses Mabdiba Stadium Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | Apr 23, 2014
- Ride-alongsSunday is my designated day off and a few of the volunteers headed up to Howick Falls, north of Pietermaritzburg.
Nearby is the site of Nelson Mandela's capture in 19 Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | Apr 15, 2014
- Johannesburg, South Africa [img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/631888/6A0F6B892219AC681781D809B6F21972.jpg Posted by Perrsue in Sue's world | Apr 12, 2014
- PE & Western CapeA few highlights of our road trip with Keith and Bev Meaker:
1- Port Elizabeth - an opportunity to spend time with the Meaker clan, catch up with good friends in nearby Port Alfred and take a trip down memory lane Posted by gregandissy in There and back again | Apr 12, 2014
- SAFARI, Kruger National Park, South Africa [img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/631888/2EC8BAB22219AC681786666B94A98785.jpg Posted by Perrsue in Sue's world | Apr 11, 2014
- Farewell to my Friends on the ship [img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/631888/2D50F5FD2219AC6817A8775674AB3A77.jpg Posted by Perrsue in Sue's world | Apr 11, 2014
- Cape Town , South Africa [img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/631888/2C1E87792219AC68176FFE48F07C5D0A.jpg Posted by Perrsue in Sue's world | Apr 11, 2014
- This is Africa After an exhausting week of skiing and an even more tiring weekend of pole dancing (photos redacted) it was no wonder I slept most of the way to Johannesburg. I had a couple of hours to kill at the airport Posted by arianemeena in Sala Kahle | Apr 7, 2014
- Mitch & Bokkie's WeddingHowzit! Our first post - how exciting!
Departure from Cayman: March 25th, 7:45 Am local time - Arrival in Johannesburg: March 27th, 7:30 AM local time.
Despite some last minu Posted by gregandissy in There and back again | Apr 5, 2014
- CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA – DAY 3
We had read that Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens is “one of the Top Ten Gardens in the World”, so we went to see for ourselves, even though most flowers are not blossoming here in the beginning Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 5 | Apr 1, 2014
- CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA – DAY 2
Today is the first day of the 5th and final segment of the World Cruise. For the next 21 days we will be sailing North up the West coast of Africa and on to Southamp Posted by Swenigale in Serenity 5 | Mar 31, 2014