- Cruise Day Twenty Nine - Cape Town (Day 3)There was a chill in the air on the open deck at 05:45 and a damp sea mist rolled in over the city. The sunrise was far less spectacular than yesterday's offer. Tried to create some images that Posted by greynomadm in 2016-01 Indian Ocean | Feb 6, 2016
- Cruise Day Twenty Eight - Cape Town (Day 2)Went up on Deck 14 and witnessed an incredibly brilliant sky. The Easterly skyline was bathed in a beautiful pink/red glow. The reflected lights from buildings and the harbour almost overwhelming. Decided to get off the ship Posted by greynomadm in 2016-01 Indian Ocean | Feb 5, 2016
- Cruise Day Twenty Seven - Cape Town (Day 1)A cool breeze and clear sky greeted our arrival in Cape Town, it was a good sign for our 'all day tour' starting at 09:00. We boarded our 5 star luxury coach piloted by an amazing driver who managed Posted by greynomadm in 2016-01 Indian Ocean | Feb 4, 2016
- Cruise Day Twenty Six - 18th Day @ SeaThere was a significant swell this morning and the temperature was down and the wind stronger. While doing my laps on Deck14 I took time out to watch the antics of what I think is an albatross. The Posted by greynomadm in 2016-01 Indian Ocean | Feb 3, 2016
- Cruise Day Twenty Five - 17th Day @ SeaHad a rough night and didn't get up until about 09:00, just in time to report to the Medical Centre. I've been frequently sneezing and battled a runny nose most of the night. At the Medical Centre the Posted by greynomadm in 2016-01 Indian Ocean | Feb 2, 2016
- Cruise Day Twenty Four - Richards Bay, South AfricaSunrise was due at 05:20 but it was difficult to see any evidence through the storm clouds and rain squalls. The excitement today is the unusual method of the harbour pilot's arrival. For the first time in our Posted by greynomadm in 2016-01 Indian Ocean | Feb 1, 2016
- INVITEESI have taken the liberty of mentioning the persons whom I invited to join me for one or more legs on the trip:-
Andrew Donkin Anton Leisegang Brian Rowlands Bruce Murray
Dan Wardlaw Dudley Crookes Ewen Cameron Fred Davel
G Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- SOME HANDY TIPSPHILIP RODWELL’S AFRICA TRIP
Herewith some tips and suggestions gained by personal experience for a trip to mid-Africa.
Decide on what clothes you think you need and then divide them by 3 and discard ⅔ - you really o Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- REGULAR FUNCTIONS• Charge batteries
• Clothes wash
• Phone home
• Phone office
• Top up jerry cans
• Write up diary
• Check vehicle
• Lock up valuables
• Project Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- MANUAL - INDEXAFRICA TRIP
I drew up my own Manual of Information in a small lever arch file of stuff which could come in handy.
• VEHICLE DETAILS
• INSTRUCTIONS GEARS
BATTERY/JUMP LEA Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- DISTANCESPlaces Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- TOYOTA LAND CRUISER “COMFORTABLE, TOUGH AND RELIABLE – THE ONLY VEHICLE FOR AN AFRICA TRIP”
• Colour : white
• Interior colour : grey
• Transmission : 5 speed manual with low ratio and front wheel locks
• Mileage : ± 305 000km
• Engine : 24V, 4.5ℓ, 6 Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- EXCHANGE RATESCountries SA Rand
Namibia Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- SOME CONCLUSIONS RE SOUTHERN AND EASTERN AFRICAArising out of my trip (albeit somewhat limited), I have to come to the inevitable conclusion that there is an overpopulation explosion about to hit Southern Africa (I have no idea what the position is like in the western part Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- SOME HAIRY MOMENTSA quick recap of some hairy moments (or minutes or hours or days).
• Lost in Kasanka NP (Zambia) with dusk fast approaching, absolutely no signs and faced with a rickety bridge which definitely wouldn’t carry 2 tonnes of Nkwazi.
• Between Mbala and Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- QUESTION TIMEThis is where the readers throw brickbats and I reply,
“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me!”
Are you a racist? Not really, more of a realist.
Are you really a realist? Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- POSTSCRIPTI have now been back home in Cape Town for some three weeks and have had ample time to reflect seriously and soberly (sic) on the events of the past 4½ months (which included a couple of months of hectic Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- HEARTFELT THANKSHeartfelt thanks are recorded here to all those who have assisted, been involved in or were there when I needed them, including:-
Although initially very reluctant to provide her blessing, she having severe doubts about the wisdom of the proposed Posted by philiprodwell in Africa Trip | Dec 17, 2015
- Honest Chocolate cafe: Cape Town’s First Chocolate Café!After having seen South Africa’s magnificent wildlife in the world-renowned Kruger National Park and understood a little more of its complex political past thanks to Robben Island, I was eager to see what the country had to offer on the Posted by Xin Zhi in XinZhi's South African adventures | Nov 30, 2015
- Robben Island Being a big fan of Nelson Mandela, Robben Island was high up on my bucket list. Even though we could spot the island from Cape Town itself (the closest parallel I can think of is Staten Island and New York Posted by Xin Zhi in XinZhi's South African adventures | Nov 30, 2015
- Kruger National Park - South African SafariWhen I decided to visit South Africa, I knew that I couldn’t leave the country without seeing its famous wildlife. But there were so many parks and safaris available so I did some homework on which to choose. Kruger National Posted by Xin Zhi in XinZhi's South African adventures | Nov 30, 2015
- Day 2 & Day 3I woke up at .. about like 9:30 this morning.. right now its, like 10:30. I just had my breakfast, and I just wanted to write a bit before I come back from the Table Mountain National Park Posted by Simonthedigger in Tablemountain Journey | Nov 23, 2015
- Day 1Today it's finally time to go to South Africa! I'm so excited! The flight to Cape Town International Airport takes about 15 hours but I will be able to sleep most of the time. I have chosen to fly with Posted by KaBe in My trip to South Africa | Nov 19, 2015
- Day 1I arrived.. at Cape Town.
It was cooler then I thought. I thought I would be burning!
Now I need to go to Varneys Guest house and stay there for like a few nights.
First of Posted by Simonthedigger in Tablemountain Journey | Nov 17, 2015
- Photo Gallery
Skull of Homo Niledi found at the Cradle of Human Kind, Maropeng
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/435069 Posted by The Vickerage in Sermons from the Vickerage | Nov 1, 2015