- Sri Lanka - Buddhism and More===Negombo to Anuradhapura===
Our first night was in Negombo, which is a small coastal town with colourful fishing boats and palm fringe on its beach. The next morning we set off and stopped at the bustling fish market with its laden Posted by Chris Cox in Sri Lanka - Buddhism and More | Apr 15, 2014
- Day 6This morning we started heading back towards Colombo.
The Dambulla cave temple (another World Heritage Site) is the largest and best preserved cave temple complex in Sri Lanka. The entrance is overlooked by a large golden buddha
[img=http://photos.t Posted by JenBuckley in Indian Ocean | Apr 15, 2014
- Day 5It's the Tamil New Year's Day today - the holiday lasts 5 days and most people return to their families. We had a nice surprise when we went back to our room after breakfast.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/218372/tmp_DSCF0275-423309788.jpg thum Posted by JenBuckley in Indian Ocean | Apr 15, 2014
- Culture Shock?While I was researching our trip I came across some articles on culture shock. Apparently a lot of travellers experience this early on in their travels. It was something that was always at the back if my mind Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | Apr 15, 2014
- Day 4This morning we went on a Elephant ride. It costs about 20,000GBP to get an Elephant owners licence fom the government and they eat 250kg of food a day (grass, fruit etc)' so definitely not a cheap pet!
I got a Posted by JenBuckley in Indian Ocean | Apr 14, 2014
- Southern Sri LankaAs I lie here in my four poster, mosquito net covered, bed with my foot swollen to the size of a large king coconut I think to myself, is it all worth it?.... Hell yea!! And let me tell you Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | Apr 10, 2014
- Day 3 - AfternoonThe ancient city Polonnarwua is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The Royal Palace complex was built by King Parakramabahu the Great (1153-1186AD).
First stop the Citadel -sadly this is all that remains of the 7 storied palace - apart from the Posted by JenBuckley in Indian Ocean | Apr 12, 2014
- HaputaleWe had booked a 3rd class carriage (400rps / 2GBP each) for the 5.5 hour train journey from Kandy to Haputale, and from previous experience on Indian trains thought we might be in for a crampt, noisy journey. In fact Posted by gonetravelling in Travelling Jane and James 2014 | Apr 11, 2014
- Day 3 - MorningThis morning we had an early start (06:30am breakfast!) so we could climb the Sigiriya Rock Fortress before it got too hot.
The palace (now a UNESCO world heritage site) was built on top of Sigiriya or Lion rock for Posted by JenBuckley in Indian Ocean | Apr 11, 2014
- Day 2Ater a 10 hour flight, we finally arrived at Bandaranayke airport in Colombo. We were met by our driver Mark and driven the 180k to Habarana in the middle of the island (an area known as the cultural triangle). We Posted by JenBuckley in Indian Ocean | Apr 11, 2014
- Mirissa and Homeward Bound
We woke up early and left Nick in bed while we went off to have a wonderful Sri Lankan breakfast at a fancy hotel by the lake in Tissa. We can’t get enough of these Sri Lankan breakfasts – we Posted by mattandsusanne in Matt and Susanne's Travels | Apr 10, 2014
- Yala National Park
In order to get to the national park we needed to stay in a town called Tissaramanha (or Tissa for short). The bus journey through the valley and into the flatlands was lovely, but again we had a death-defying driver Posted by mattandsusanne in Matt and Susanne's Travels | Apr 7, 2014
- Dambulla and Ella
In the morning we made our way to Dambulla with an easy bus journey. Nick and Rima had already booked us a room in town but we had no idea where it was, so after some hard bargaining we got Posted by mattandsusanne in Matt and Susanne's Travels | Apr 7, 2014
- Day 22 - At seaReally we can't get away from Colombo fast enough for us..... But we won't dwell.... The ladies win battle of the sexes for this sector!! For the entire trip this means 2 wins for the ladies and one for the Posted by Kay n Christine in Sipping cocktails on the deck | Apr 6, 2014
- Day 21 - Heading away from ColomboWe are now in pirate territory. Looking out over the ocean now takes on a new meaning. Lots of little boats are out today and we regularly pass cargo ships. It is funny how today these little fishing boats all Posted by Kay n Christine in Sipping cocktails on the deck | Apr 6, 2014
- KandyIt felt good to get back to the hustle and bustle of city life. We arrived around lunchtime so set off around the lake to hunt down the hotel we had in mind. Found a little cafe on the side Posted by gonetravelling in Travelling Jane and James 2014 | Apr 6, 2014
- HabaranaNow considering ourselves veterans of the local Sri Lankan buses we settled in to our ride to Habarana, a good base to visit the ancient cities of Sigiriya, Dambulla, Ritigale and Polonnaruwa. Having skipped Anuradhapura we had our fingers crossed Posted by gonetravelling in Travelling Jane and James 2014 | Apr 6, 2014
- AnuradhapuraWe had pre-booked a train to Anuradhapura and after some initial confusion found the almost empty 'Expo' carriage. Grateful for the rush of air con that flooded over us, we were also treated to complementary bottled water, newspaper and cool Posted by gonetravelling in Travelling Jane and James 2014 | Apr 6, 2014
- ColomboThe Sri Lankan Air flight from Cochin was a lot quicker than we thought, we were still trying to identify our in-flight meal when the pilot announced we were coming in to land. We were stamped into the country and Posted by gonetravelling in Travelling Jane and James 2014 | Apr 3, 2014
- Day 20 - ColomboIf we could just say we hated Colombo and leave it there it would be great but blogging doesn't really work like that does it so here goes.......We left the ship around 10, the shuttle buses weren't due to Posted by Kay n Christine in Sipping cocktails on the deck | Apr 2, 2014
- Day 19 - St Paddy's Day at SeaThe crew have been doing some extra drills that don't involve passengers. Announcements have been made yesterday and today by the Captain over the PA system about pirate territory that we will be travelling through. It is not likely that Posted by Kay n Christine in Sipping cocktails on the deck | Apr 2, 2014
- Colombo and Kandy
Our morning heading to the airport for our flight to Bangkok turned out to be a bit hectic. A café we wanted to eat at was shut so we had to find another, we tried to locate Susanne’s expensive hiking Posted by mattandsusanne in Matt and Susanne's Travels | Mar 24, 2014
- Colombo , Sri Lanka [img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/631888/C157A95A2219AC68174327 Posted by Perrsue in Sue's world | Mar 18, 2014
- Sri LankaFriday - afternoon we landed in Sri Lanka in Colmobo aiport. Once we had got outside of the airport, instantly we were surrounded by 6 men asking did we want a taxi they give us good price...blah blah! Alls we Posted by livetotravel14 in Our Big Adventure... | Mar 1, 2014
- Sri Lankan GemsThis is a little out of sequence but I thought it was interesting enough to include one final post for this blog. To break up the long drives, our tour leader would often stop to show us the work of Posted by Andrea R in Andrea's Asian Adventures | Feb 11, 2014