- Taking the Tea TrainSix thousand feet up in the Central Highlands of Sri Lanka the dense tropical mists slowly roll back under the equatorial sun to reveal a stunningly beautiful landscape...
This is tea Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Feb 19, 2017
- On Our Way to Ceylonese Tea Much like the Turin Shroud, Buddha's tooth has been around a bit since it was first discovered in Kushinagar, India, after he died in 800BC at the age of eighty. Legend has it that eleven centuries later, in about 300AD, Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Feb 17, 2017
- Jeep Safari in Northern Sri LankaThe roadsides around the town of Minneriya in Northern Sri Lanka are littered with billboards offering Jeep safaris so we thought we should give it a try.
After almost an hour driving on rough tracks through a dense jungle of teak Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Feb 15, 2017
- The Sacred Caves of DambullaWe've been climbing again. This time to visit five natural caves that have been a place of worship for more than two thousand years. According to our knowledgeable guide, the entrance to the Royal Rock caves in Dambulla has been Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Feb 14, 2017
- Sigiriya - A Place in the SkyThe task for today's blog is for us to scale the heights of Sigiriya in North Eastern Sri Lanka to visit the remains of a monastery and palace complex that is some 1,500 years old. From a distance the outcrop Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Feb 13, 2017
- The Dawn ChorusAs the sun rises over the misty jungle we are woken by a heavenly choir unmatched by any sounds created by man. A symphony of sound greets us as the wild creatures herald the start of another sun-filled day. The Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Feb 11, 2017
- Just Another Sri Lankan DayThe perpetually warm Indian Ocean, fed by the great rivers of Africa and Asia, is a perfect breeding ground for fish of every kind and we began our day on the beach in Negombo where the fleet had come ashore Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Feb 10, 2017
- On the Beach in Sri LankaThe island of Sri Lanka is just a teardrop in the Indian Ocean. Its northern neighbour, India, is weeping over the fate of this tiny piece of tropical nirvana – and with good reason.
Sri Lanka has a history riven with Posted by Hawkson in Blissful Adventures | Feb 8, 2017
- DEC 31, JAN 1, JAN 2The express train took just ten hours to cover the 168 miles from Ella to Colombo. It's a beautiful journey, especially the first seven hours, winding through the hill country, past countless tea plantations, up to 2,000 meters and finally Posted by babu-tokyo in December 2016 - January 2017 | Dec 31, 2016
- DEC 25, 26A pre-dawn departure - taxi to Suvannaphum, three-hour flight, taxi to Colombo station, two and a quarter hour train ride, the first half of which we were standing, but with pretty coastal Posted by babu-tokyo in December 2016 - January 2017 | Dec 25, 2016
- Colombo, Sri LankaSweet day in Colombo, Sri Lanka! What a contrast to India! Colombo is a relatively small, clean city with plenty of diversity. The architecture around the city shows the influence of Chinese, Dutch, British, Hindu, Muslim and Posted by HosMiniTravels in Travels to Asia | Dec 5, 2016
- Sri Lanka - Adam's peak==The plan==
A pretty ordinary actually... To hike Adam's peak - Sri Lanka's holy mountain from Dalhousie. Adams's peak is the most holy place in Sri Lanka and a major point for both tourist and religious pilgrimage. From Dalhousie it's only Posted by dima.safr in Roaming the world | Nov 11, 2016
- GalleWed 15th
There was definitely the familiar feeling of heavy heads and churning stomachs this morning. I woke up at 8 and couldn't drop off again until 9.45. When we both eventually rose we went for lunch at a restaurant lit Posted by katiebeckett in 4 weeks, 2 girls, 1 island | Jun 23, 2016
- WeligamaTues 14th
This morning we gathered our goods and set off for Weligama, about 2.5 hour bus journey up the coast. It was lunchtime when we arrived and we got a tuk-tuk driver to take us to a nearby guesthouse, Raja's Posted by katiebeckett in 4 weeks, 2 girls, 1 island | Jun 23, 2016
- TangallaMonday 13th
Tangalla is gorgeous. It very much lives up to the deep orange sands and pristine turquoise water of Sri Lankan's sought after idilic backdrop. We woke up gradually, Nic slower than me so I spent the late morning reading Posted by katiebeckett in 4 weeks, 2 girls, 1 island | Jun 23, 2016
- Uda WalaweSunday 12th
We left the guesthouse before 8 and grabbed a hearty breakfast of rice and curry. The next bus took us to Embilipitiya where we changed for Uda Walawe. Here we made it to the Elephant Transit Home in time Posted by katiebeckett in 4 weeks, 2 girls, 1 island | Jun 23, 2016
- Kitungala + DalhousieThursday 9th
The next morning, happy to have made it through the night undisturbed, we rose and left our room by 7, heading into town. A tuk-tuk driver gave us a free lift, although he was only going 200m - still, Posted by katiebeckett in 4 weeks, 2 girls, 1 island | Jun 22, 2016
- Ella-KitungalaWednesday 8th
Once again we woke up early. At 6.30 we were getting ready to climb little Adams peak before we caught the train at 11. On the way Nic bought a sugary croissant and I went for two (rather spicy) Posted by katiebeckett in 4 weeks, 2 girls, 1 island | Jun 22, 2016
- Sri LankaThe tiny little Island just below the southern tip of Giant India is a popular destination mainly for its compatibility for tours and excursions within the country during any clime or season. Nature is revered, although not as animists, as Posted by mohan777 in Sri Lanka | Jun 11, 2016
- Kandy-Dambula-SigiriyaSaturday 28th
Today was busy! We headed to the Tooth Relic Temple for 8.30 where Nic stayed outside and I paid 1000Rupees to go in and look around. A chap by the shoe counter gave me his tour card and showed Posted by katiebeckett in 4 weeks, 2 girls, 1 island | Jun 1, 2016
- KandyThursday 26th
With a tender head this morning, Nic, myself and the Vietnamese girl (whose name I don't know yet) woke up and packed our bags. Just after 6am we hopped into yet another tuk-tuk bound for the station. Once there Posted by katiebeckett in 4 weeks, 2 girls, 1 island | Jun 1, 2016
- ColomboTuesday 24th
Once the plane eventually landed we went to collect our luggage. Just as we'd feared it hadn't made it on to the 2nd flight. Oddly the UCL guy's bag had. So we spent our first half hour in Sri Posted by katiebeckett in 4 weeks, 2 girls, 1 island | Jun 1, 2016
- 44515 Squre Meter Land in Buffer Zone of a Rain ForestI was wondering what a forum topic should looks like. Is it what you know? What you have experienced? A peace of advice?
In my case, It is not going to be any of these !
Its about a dream. Dream that Posted by malakagama in Life near rain forest | May 17, 2016
- Sri LankaIt's not often that you get to a country and become fond of it so quickly. My first impressions were that it was far more developed than India and that the people were incredibly friendly. I had no idea how Posted by Poppy90 in Poppy's Travel Blog! | Apr 14, 2016
- Kuala Lumpur to Colombo12345 Posted by Edna's Travels in Sri Lanka 2016 Tour | Apr 3, 2016