- Things I loved and didn't love about Sri LankaThings in Sri Lanka that make me smile:
1. THE FOOD! String hoppers to mop up delicious curries. A table laden with eight different delicacies for dinner. Roti bread. Coconut sambal, soft cashew nut chilli dish, delicious fried short eats, fres Posted by Jhaniaruby in Sri Lanka Solo | Jan 21, 2012
- Accommodation Types
Some of my nicest experiences in Sri Lanka have been staying with local families. You do not need to know people in Sri Lanka for this to be possible, but you do need to choose your accommodation carefully.
Firstly, I Posted by Jhaniaruby in Sri Lanka Solo | Jan 9, 2012
- The Pros and Cons of travelling as a solo woman in Sri Lanka
Con: Sexual harassment.
Days into my trip, I was grabbed on the breast by a boy who looked all but 13, on the beach at Negombo, after naively agreeing to having a photo taken with him, and his two equally Posted by Jhaniaruby in Sri Lanka Solo | Jan 9, 2012
- South bound bus
To me the local buses in Sri Lanka are very reminiscent of the ‘’chicken buses in Central America’ ( I have yet to travel to India, so I can’t draw any parallels there). Unlike Central America however, it seems that Posted by Jhaniaruby in Sri Lanka Solo | Jan 7, 2012
- Slow Train Through the Hill CountrySometimes it is the journey rather than the destination that matters and catching the slow train through the Sri Lankan hill country is testimony to this. Setting off early from Peradeniya ( Tip the train leaves from Peradinya and Posted by Jhaniaruby in Sri Lanka Solo | Jan 6, 2012
- Sri Lanka Solo
Colombo: The hustle and bustle of Colombo was music to my ears after the comparatively orderly Malaysia. Staying in my friends apartment in Dehiwala was a good way to get a taste of local life. Each morning began with a Posted by Jhaniaruby in Sri Lanka Solo | Jan 4, 2012
- SRI LANKA For long, we planned and pondered over a “foreign holiday” – would it be fun-filled Singapore and Malaysia or a cultural tour at Thailand or the shopping spree of Dubai? Finally the answer emerged just so easily – Srilanka, it Posted by gettinghere in SRI LANKA | Dec 31, 2011
- Getting startedSo this is pretty much just a test, seeing how this whole blog thing works. In just 5 days I will be getting ready to leave USA and head to Madrid!
Flight is at 6:35 pm from Philly and will Posted by Smarks17 in Granada 2012 | Dec 28, 2011
- Kat's first alone holiday :) in Sri LankaThe Blue Waters, Wadduwa, Sri Lanka
7:30pm. First impressions... Jamal (taxi) late to pick me up for airport. Breakfast with Nico and Barie. Flight delayed. Super fun Brits to sit next to on plane. Hilarious, unpredictable guys. Long bump Posted by kjdeichler in Kat's Adventures in Qatar | Dec 23, 2011
- The Temple of the Tooth
Before finishing our time in Sri Lanka's hill country we spent a few days in Kandy, the second city of Sri Lanka.
Kandy is another UNESCO World Heritage site and the hotel we stayed in Posted by Up.Up.and.Away in Sophia and Sully | Nov 30, 2011
- Sri LankaWe arrived in Colombo late at night and headed straight for our hotel near the train station; we'd read before that Colombo is not much of a tourist destination and already planned to leave asap the next day via train Posted by SimonandLucy in Simon and Lucy's amazing honeymoon! | Nov 28, 2011
- Ella Gap
After leaving Rikillagaska, we took a bus to Kandy and then embarked on 7.5hour train journey right through the amazing tea country to Ella. We had heard that Ella and the surrounding co Posted by Up.Up.and.Away in Sophia and Sully | Nov 27, 2011
- Two Leaves and a Bud
After a beautiful train journey from Colombo into the hill country of Sri Lanka and then a hair raising, bumpy bus ride further up into the countryside, we arrived in the small town of Ri Posted by Up.Up.and.Away in Sophia and Sully | Nov 25, 2011
- Trunks and Tusks Treat
One morning Sully surprised Sophia with a trip to the Millenium Elephant Foundation in Pinnewalla near Kandy. It was sooo exciting!
After Posted by Up.Up.and.Away in Sophia and Sully | Nov 20, 2011
- Chaos and Calm in the Capital
After a few days in quiet Galle on the South coast, we took a 3 hour bus journey North to Colombo, the capital city.
We arrived in the morning and headed straight for the Pettah disctr Posted by Up.Up.and.Away in Sophia and Sully | Nov 20, 2011
- Sunset on the rampartsAfter a week on the beach we headed to nearby Galle, which is a port town on the South coast that has a well preserved fort, dating from the Dutch period of rule and has well preserved Dutch buildings and Posted by Up.Up.and.Away in Sophia and Sully | Nov 16, 2011
- Lucky Tuna in Unawatuna
Before we left the UK, we had decided to spend our first week on a beach, relaxing and making some plans for the months ahead.
We started in Unawatuna which is a small, picturesque vi Posted by Up.Up.and.Away in Sophia and Sully | Nov 16, 2011
- Planes, Trains and AutomobilesAfter a hectic week, we were dropped off at Kings Norton train station by Sully's parents. We took a train to New Street, a stroll to Corporation Street (wondering why we had packed so much!), Posted by Up.Up.and.Away in Sophia and Sully | Nov 7, 2011
- TestingHey all, we're still alive! Have managed to reach the South Coast of Sri Lanka in one piece and are enjoying the weather and the fantastic beach - not worked out how to use this blog yet though...watch this space! Posted by Up.Up.and.Away in Sophia and Sully | Oct 30, 2011
- End of Sri Lanka, Start of Thailand- Monkeys and Dead ArmsBeen in some slightly more remote places of late but back up with wi-fi now so time for an update.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint Posted by GarethandCat in We're on our way to OZ! | Oct 29, 2011
- Sri LankaWell, well, well... Where on earth have I BEEN for the past month!?
We spent a further 10 days in the sleepy town of Vashisht, jamming in our new-found band of didgeridoo, guitars and drums and causing angry Brazilian men Posted by daisy-derata in "Finding myself" in a flummoxed fashion | Oct 10, 2011
- Arugam Bay, Tissa and Ella
C Posted by GarethandCat in We're on our way to OZ! | Oct 4, 2011
- Sri Lanka so far
We have been in Sri Lanka now for 3 weeks and it has changed quite a bit from last time we were here, the end of the war has made it more relaxed, a bit more developed and therefore…. Posted by GarethandCat in We're on our way to OZ! | Oct 2, 2011
- Galle - Kandy - Arugam Bay :DAfter another week of volunteering, eating crackers for lunch and trying to make it exciting - Starter - 'The PLain' - no topping, Main Course - 'Butter/Marmite Cracker' - depending on personal taste and Dessert - 'The Jam Tart' Cracker Posted by babeejadeegreen in Welsh Adventures in Sri Lanka! | Sep 13, 2011
- The weekendFriday night, After a week full of curry we decided to hit Unwatuna for Buffet and Cocktails...AMAZING! Ended up going for a walk down the beach and stumbling across a club on the beach - 'Happy Banana' it was class!! Posted by babeejadeegreen in Welsh Adventures in Sri Lanka! | Sep 13, 2011