Blog Entries tagged 'Sri_Lanka'
Travel Blogs Entries tagged 'Sri_Lanka'
- Our first Impressions of Sri Lanka and NegomboAfter a traffic jammed ride to the airport in Bangkoks rain we arrived at the airport ready to leave Southeast Asia. We checked in with no problems and were through to departures waiting for our plane. Liam was extremely nervous Posted by Chelsandliam in Powered by Noodles | Sep 10, 2013
- Arrival in Sri Lanka & off to SigiriyaArrived on 6th Dec @ the Bandaranaike Airport (CMB, about 15km from Negombo town, Sri Lanka) around afternoon via a short flight from India. Got my USDs converted to LKR at a Bank counter near the Airport exit. Also purchased Posted by arunbaliga in Arun Baliga@Travellers Point | Dec 21, 2012
- Travel Challenges, Bangkok Stop-Over, Shopping SpreeOur flight was out of Sri Lanka’s only international airport, just north of the capital, Colombo. We had had a rough night before the flight. It was a few hours of rough driving to Colombo. To avoid the morning traffic, Posted by TooMuchLuggage in Around the World in 172 Days | May 30, 2012
- Elephant Encounters of the Tourist KindI’m always of two minds when I learn about the “top tourist spot” in a given country. Clearly the majority of tourists can’t be wrong, but I so often find the majority’s tastes not like my own. Pinwalla Elephant Orphanage Posted by TooMuchLuggage in Around the World in 172 Days | May 27, 2012
- River Adventures in Sri Lanka - Rafting and CanyoningWhen we were in Hong Kong we went to an amusement park that had a rafting ride. The boys loved it and rode it three or four times so we decided that we would try to go river rafting somewhere Posted by TooMuchLuggage in Around the World in 172 Days | May 27, 2012
- Our Trip to Ella and The Train to HattonWe left Arugan bay for Ella, a town about 3 hours away in the mountains up at about 3500 feet. The boys could have stayed longer in our beach cabanas, they said it was a little like Posted by RoamSchooler in Around the World in 172 Days | May 26, 2012
- Sri Lanka's Hill Country and a Train Into the PastElla is on the edge of Sri Lanka’s spectacular and steep hill country. The drive there is through winding 2 lane roads that, just before Ella, become a series of switchbacks. Half-way up, we passed a magnificent series of waterfalls. Posted by TooMuchLuggage in Around the World in 172 Days | May 26, 2012
- A Non-Surf Trip and A Couple of Nights Without WallsSri Lanka isn't the world's top surf destinations, or even among the top ten. That's part of the reason we thought it would be a good place for us to surf on our journey. We're definitely all out of surf-shape Posted by TooMuchLuggage in Around the World in 172 Days | May 25, 2012
- "Safari" Game Drive in Sri LankaIn planning our trip we had been thinking of game drives (often referred to as safari) for our Africa leg, but Sri Lanka has a very good reputation for viewing wild animals and based on some suggestions from the folks Posted by TooMuchLuggage in Around the World in 172 Days | May 24, 2012
- Tea Swim, Tuk-Tuk Lessons, Baby Turtles & Ancient Fort[Don't miss the turtle video near the bottom of this post]
We woke up early on Monday morning to the glorious sun and beyond the reed shades, the waves on the beautiful tropical bay below the hotel. The town we stayed Posted by TooMuchLuggage in Around the World in 172 Days | May 21, 2012
- Last Minute Trip to Sri Lanka, An IntroductionEven by my standards we were plan-light for Sri Lanka.
In the year-plus that we spent planning for our departure most of our effort was focused on getting away from our lives in Santa Monica and figuring out how we would Posted by TooMuchLuggage in Around the World in 172 Days | May 20, 2012
- Chapter forty - NegomboDay 149: Negombo, Sri Lanka 26/02/2012
A very nice, long, refreshing sleep in the A/C room with a decent, proper, comfortable bed. Amazing how a small combination like this can result in a good rest. We get up and as I Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Mar 22, 2012
- Chapter thirty nine - Dehiwala (part dos)We are unable to sleep past seven in the luxury, soundproof room and are out and away from Hikkaduwa early doors. Get on the bus, pleasantly surprised that this service apparently goes all the way to Colombo (according to the Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Mar 21, 2012
- Chapter thirty eight - Hikkaduwa (part deux)Day 143: Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka 20/02/2012
Awake at half five to a mysterious knock at the door. Some local guy is looking for the weird Australian guys staying here. Out on the side of the road before 6am, and on the Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Feb 25, 2012
- Chapter thirty seven - Arugam BayDay 135: Arugam Bay, Sri Lanka 12/02/2012
Up early enough after a good night's sleep and a decent breakfast. Catch the bus to Arugam Bay (eventually!) which we tried so hard to do yesterday. Carry the bags the five minute walk Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Feb 14, 2012
- Chapter thirty six - MonoragalamDay 134: Monoragalam, Sri Lanka 11/02/2012
Today was possibly the longest day in living memory. We were up at 2am for for the climb up Adam's Peak, a popular Buddhist pilgrimage site. There are more than 5,500 steps up the side Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Feb 14, 2012
- Chapter thirty five - DalhousieDay 133: Dalhousie, Sri Lanka 10/02/2012
Up and out (I break the shower head at our overrated guesthouse) and have a good breakfast down the road. We get to the bus station to catch the bus to Dalhousie and Adam's Peak. Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Feb 14, 2012
- Chapter thirty four - KandyDay 131: Kandy, Sri Lanka 08/02/2012
Get up and go early doors. Being sat idle this close to the beach is killing us as we wait for our skin to recover fully. Pick up some breakfast from the bakers and catch Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Feb 14, 2012
- Chapter thirty three - UnatuwunaDay 128: Unatuwuna, Sri Lanka 05/02/2012
We have breakfast at the place that we stayed, which takes over an hour to turn up. Get a tuk-tuk to Unatuwuna, the next town/resort over, which is lauded in the book as THE place Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Feb 14, 2012
- Chapter thirty two - GalleDay 127: Galle, Sri Lanka 04/02/2012
Today is Sri Lankan Independence Day. We get up and I decide in my wisdom to go for a quick run on the beach. This is very hard work, mainly due to my complete lack Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Feb 14, 2012
- Chapter thirty one - HikkaduwaDay 124: Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka 01/02/2012
Another good night's sleep aided by the Lion lager and we are ready to leave Colombo and head for some sun, sand and surf. Gemma washes her hair (I know!), whilst I head for some Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Feb 14, 2012
- Chapter thirty - Colombo, SRI LANKADay 122: Colombo, SRI LANKA 30/01/12
Up at six for our train to the airport. The station is already heaving, with seemingly hundreds of people asleep on the station floor. See a rat fall 30 feet from the overhead cables. Splat. Posted by tevs in Unbelievable trekkers | Feb 7, 2012
- Pissu MiharikaA more active day today, though it didn’t start that way. I was woken by a call from Mum about important pharmacy business at 8.30, and we took our time getting ready for the day’s activities.
Expecting a visit from the Posted by sammyhez in Sam's 2011 Travels | Jan 15, 2011
- Watching cricket from the MCGA bit of a rest day today as we gear up for what should be, weather permitting, a fairly busy next few days.
A sleep in followed by a light breakfast and I was feeling a little more energetic than Posted by sammyhez in Sam's 2011 Travels | Jan 14, 2011
- Sick of driving rainStill feeling rubbish, and the rain is still bucketing down as we sit on our rock hard mattresses in Arugam Bay.
On Dr. Bronwyn and Dr. Hans’ advic Posted by sammyhez in Sam's 2011 Travels | Jan 12, 2011