- From Lucerne to Lake ThunOur train pulled out from the Banhof-Platz as scheduled. No surprise. I’m getting used to Swiss efficiency, and I’m lovin’ it. We’re riding a portion of the Golden Pass, one of Switzerland’s scenic rail rides. The Golden Pass Posted by davidmutticlark in From Spuds to Spaghetti | Jun 20, 2013
- Leaving LucerneWe left Lucerne on Wednesday morning. I hated to say goodbye. They say that Luzern was founded at this spot—where the Reuss River flows out of Lake Lucerne—because an angel shined a heavenly spotlight on the site— “Luzern” Posted by davidmutticlark in From Spuds to Spaghetti | Jun 20, 2013
- Hot days in LucerneLucerne (English) or Luzern (German) is gorgeous in any language. The city is located on the western shore of Lake Lucerne where the Reuss (pronounced ‘royce’) River flows out of the lake.
If you arrive by train or boat, Posted by davidmutticlark in From Spuds to Spaghetti | Jun 18, 2013
- The Wilhelm Tell ExpressThey advertise it as one of the world’s most beautiful journeys, and I think they may be right. The trip from Lugano to Luzern wows you. You travel by train and boat from the Swiss Med—Ticino—to elegant Lucerne, Posted by davidmutticlark in From Spuds to Spaghetti | Jun 18, 2013
- From Vernazza to LuganoAfter spending three days in Vernazza, Italy, one of the five villages of the Cinque Terre, we took the train to Lugano, Switzerland. And the contrast between the two places seemed glaring.
Vernazza is small, intimate, friendly and Posted by davidmutticlark in From Spuds to Spaghetti | Jun 17, 2013
- Berne, Baby, Berne!Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but there hasn't been a ton to report. Most of my days here are spent reading, going for walks and runs, and doing little jobs in our neighbourhood of Oerlikon. In the evenings, Posted by EmmaJLee in Beyond Swedish Worlds | Jun 12, 2013
- Zurich, SwitzerlandMonaco is such a small country it is basically considered France but it is also independent. Due to its small size and location it does not have an airport but it does have a heliport or depends on the airport Posted by mromeiro96 in My Dream Trip Around The World | Jun 9, 2013
- Point A to Point ZHello again!
You may have noticed some changes to the blog. Though I have left my "Swedish Worlds" behind, I have decided to keep writing. My life is so exciting, you know, I would hate to deprive you of its post-Scandinavian Posted by EmmaJLee in Beyond Swedish Worlds | May 29, 2013
An early start as we were off to a morning in a country village in Ey. We were met by horse and buggy and trotted along the country lanes to arrive at a cottage built in 1635 where cheese Posted by SteveandNet in European Grandeur | May 15, 2013
- Innsbruck to Lichtenstein to Lucerne
Had a couple of hours to ourselves in Innsbruck! Another perfect, sunny, blue sky day. Managed to get to a post office! Yay. Offloaded a ton of quality souvenirs for a bargain postage cost! ;-)
Stephen then bought a quality Posted by SteveandNet in European Grandeur | May 15, 2013
- Planes & Trains Today we left not so sunny and warm Norway for our long travelling day from Norway through Germany and into Switzerland. Firstly we caught the 7:00 am flight from Bergen to Oslo arriving at 7:50 am to catch the connecting Posted by gary_mac in Gary and Marg | May 14, 2013
- I FOUND MY PHOTOS FROM SWITZERLAND!!!Backstory: In 2005 I went to Switzerland before coming back to the states for Christmas. I was daft and never backed up my photos. Then in 2006 when I moved to Germany and managed to get a virus Posted by atpoorman in Citizen of the World | Apr 12, 2013
- Swiss VacationLucerne is a really pretty town on the lake, but unfortunately I arrived on Saturday after all of the shops had closed and nothing opens on Sunday. I had hoped to take a cog-wheeled train up to the top Posted by Eyakiwchuk in This Is Actually Happening...For Real! | Apr 10, 2013
- GenevaSo we have spent the last few days in Geneva to visit one of Michaels oldest friends from Edmonton. We flew in on Friday night from Portugal where, as Michael described we spent two days in Porto and it Posted by Aoshry in The Big Trip | Apr 7, 2013
- Latest UpdateWell, when I last wrote we were hanging out in Lisbon and about to rent a car to visit around Portugal. We headed south along the coast and stayed in resort-type towns. Our hotels all had fantastic outdoor Posted by Eyakiwchuk in This Is Actually Happening...For Real! | Apr 6, 2013
- The Glacier ExpressThis morning began with the most gorgeous blue skies and one sore foot still in pain with gout! Poor Geoff he has really got a good dose but he is soldiering on & not complaining. The walk to the station Posted by Duzzy 64 in Europe 2013 | Mar 27, 2013
- A quiet day and.....Poor Geoff has woken up with a severe bout of gout despite getting a couple of tablets in last night. He managed to get his shoes on, a bit of face squinting with the pain and of for a slow Posted by Duzzy 64 in Europe 2013 | Mar 26, 2013
- Bernina ExpressFabulous, extraordinary, a must see.....
What a day we had on the Bernina Express! We left early for a 3 1/2 hr journey through the most incredible scenery you have ever seen. The weather wasn't great when we left Chur but Posted by Duzzy 64 in Europe 2013 | Mar 26, 2013
- ZurichStarted the morning of on a walking tour in the old town of Zurich, our travelling skills are improving and we have graduated to doing our own walking tours + narration lol. It's freezing here, the day looked like it Posted by Duzzy 64 in Europe 2013 | Mar 24, 2013
- Self guided tours of Beaune & DijonYesterday we grabbed an audio guide from the tourism centre & took ourselves on a guided tour of Beaune. Lots of old buildings & hidden cellars, everywhere you go there is a cellar door advertising wine tasting. Not sure if Posted by Duzzy 64 in Europe 2013 | Mar 22, 2013
- The end of one chapter and beginning of the nextSince deciding to take this trip around the world the two most frequent questions I've been asked are "Where are you going?" and "Do you have a blog?".
So here it is...my attempt to blog my experiences and keep Posted by klp1902 in Around the world | Mar 14, 2013
- Four days in GenevaAmsterdam to Geneva. You can see the top of the French Alpes in the Background as we descend into Geneva.
After Carnival I spent a few days visiting my girlfriend, Gaby, in Geneva whe Posted by Jack Chaffey in Europe | Feb 19, 2013
- Luzern CarnivalBy coincidence my stay in Switzerland coincided with the annual four day Lucerne Carnival culminating in a big parade on the Monday before Shrove Tuesday. A major feature of the parade are the "Guggemuusige" or improvised (masked) bands and we Posted by FrancisRTW in My Career Break Trip around the World | Feb 11, 2013
- JungfraujochJungfraujoch is a vantage point 11,782 feet (3,571 metres) up in the Swiss Alps & is about a 2 hour drive South West of Zurich.
J Posted by FrancisRTW in My Career Break Trip around the World | Feb 10, 2013
- Rhine FallsThe largest waterfall in Europe are the Rhine Falls near Schauffhausen a little over an hour north from Zurich and the canoeist in me had to see it.
This felt a far grittier tour than the Zurich City Tour I had Posted by FrancisRTW in My Career Break Trip around the World | Feb 9, 2013