We arrived in Bangkok jittery with excitement to finally really start this whole backpacking thing. We hopped on the train and I instantly noticed EVERYONE was wearing yel Posted by AlohaInAsia in Aloha In Asia | Feb 3, 2015
- Washing the Elephants...or not!Alan spent pretty much all last night practising his "Thai two-step" moves and "praying" repeatedly at the holy toilet, so opted to stay at the hotel and get some sleep today. Catriona, clearly made of much sterner stuff, left around Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Feb 2, 2015
- Sunrise, Sunsets…We were told that we must see the sun rise over Angkor Wat. I always prefer sunsets myself, they are generally at a much more civilized hour; and it wasn’t part of our tour, but in the end it was Posted by GinSmugglers in GinSmugglers go Thai | Feb 1, 2015
- Mae Kampong HomestayOur trip to Mae Kampong took less than an hour by minibus, but the change from Chiang Mai's busy urban scene to the tranquillity of the hill tribe people was truly remarkable! By cultivating shade-grown coffee and tea under the Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Feb 1, 2015
- Phuket Cultural Centre
Phuket Cultural Centre was a find purely because i was asked about it and I knew very little about it - so i visited it the next week.
The centre Posted by timinphuket in TiminPhuket - things to do | Feb 1, 2015
- 2 Incredible Women: Naenna Eco-Textiles, Thai Freedom HouseWe met two more amazing women today in Chiang Mai who have made tremendous contributions to the people and society of Northern Thailand!
Patricia Cheesman's life's work has been to research and maintain indigenous Lao and Thai weaving techniques, so Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 30, 2015
- Soradej Tour '15 beginsSunday night, exhausted from all of the fun with Kunya, Angie and I settle in for a nap. The travel and time change have wiped us out. I am woken by Sam and the sound of people Posted by Jleo in Fun Time Land and Other Adventures | Jan 30, 2015
- Southern Thailand Island LifeIt is January 29, 2015, around 7:00 am and we are leaving our island paradise of Koh Phangan after a 6 night stay. We arrived early in the morning on January 23 after a 12 hour overnight train from Posted by Shewy in It is, What it is | Jan 29, 2015
- Thai Massage is Amazing!Today we took a 5-hour course in Thai Massage with 4 instructors and learned to massage the head, neck and shoulders for ourselves or others. The instructors from Naruncha Beauty were all terrific, particularly "Mr. O" and "Goi" who demonstrated Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 29, 2015
- NE to Hot Springs, Chiang Rai, White Temple, Black VillageToday we drove ~200 km north and east of Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, stopping at a hot spring on the way, to see the White Temple, a modern artistic, devotional and touristic development, and the Black Village, a reconstruction Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 28, 2015
- Asia Scenic Thai Cooking School, Wat Chedi Luang Monk ChatToday we had our second Thai cooking school experience - this one in urban Chiang Mai, a short walk from our hotel, at Asia Scenic with "A", a diminutive, but authoritative and funny young male Thai chef. He equated "spicy" Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 27, 2015
Arrived in Bangkok last night to the warm welcome of Sam's sister Tik and half brother Lek. An old family friend, and adopted sister, Sim was also tagged along to bring her large Mitsubishi SUV for our luggage. Posted by Jleo in Fun Time Land and Other Adventures | Jan 27, 2015
- Thai Foot Massage, Hmong Village and Doi Suthep TempleAnother full day started early with Thai foot massage at the Chiang Mai Women's Prison Massage Centre. Women inmates are trained in Thai massage in prison and then work at the Centre (near our hotel in the old city) so Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 26, 2015
- Thai Farm Cooking School, Sunday Walking MarketWe spent most of today at the Thai Farm Cooking School, on an organic farm in rural Chiang Mai [www.thaifarmcooking.net/home/#.VMUBpuAAA].
We stopped enroute at an early morning market to see how people shop for their Thai food ingredients, and then the Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 25, 2015
- Visit to COSA, Cultural Centre and Ping River Dinner CruiseA busy day in and around Chiang Mai, but the highlight was definitely the group visit to the Childrens Organization of Southeast Asia (COSA) just outside Chiang Mai. 27 girls (ages 7-17) from northern hill tribes who are at risk Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 24, 2015
- To Bangkok via DohaOr so the song goes.... actually we've now been here two nights and not managed a single oyster, just lots of prawns and crab.....
Our journey was pretty straightforward once we'd battled through the snow, sleet, rain and roadworks on the Posted by GinSmugglers in GinSmugglers go Thai | Jan 24, 2015
- Markets and Temples in Chiang MaiEarly morning breakfast at Tapae Place Hotel and then a mind boggling wander through the flower market and the huge Warorot market where virtually everything is sold. We transferred via red truck to the Parasol Inn on the other side Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 23, 2015
- So that was Bangkok!We just finished up our 4 night stay in Bangkok and we loved every minute of it. We arrived on January 18th after over 20 hours of straight travel which left us both drained mentally and I am sure Posted by Shewy in It is, What it is | Jan 22, 2015
- We're in Chiang Mai!We were up early at Chai Lai Orchid to pack, have breakfast and check out, then take a "troop carrier" taxi for an hour to our hotel for the night in Chiang Mai, near the Night Market in the old Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 22, 2015
- Thailand - Koh TaoThe journey to Koh Tao was advertised as a 3 hour mini bus service to Surat Thani and then an overnight ferry to
Koh Tao. What we didn't realise however was that the coach journey would be split into 3 different Posted by Mikeandsarah in Asia, Australia & Anywhere in between | Jan 22, 2015
- Thailand - Railay BayAfter spending 5 days on Koh Lanta, we decided to move on to the mainland so caught the ferry to Railay Bay in Krabi. As there was no port, the ferry had to stop in the middle of the sea Posted by Mikeandsarah in Asia, Australia & Anywhere in between | Jan 22, 2015
- Thailand - Koh LantaAnother boat trip to another Thai Island saw us arrive in Koh Lanta on the 9th of January. This is where we came across our first angry Thai man....Chun! He spent the entire boat journey trying to persuade us to Posted by Mikeandsarah in Asia, Australia & Anywhere in between | Jan 21, 2015
- Après le chaos, la discipline===Me voilà à Bangkok! Je vous avons que je vis cette fois-ci un contre-choc-culturel.... Après le chaos, la discipline! Comme le dit si bien le dicton; un dessin vaut mieux qu'un long discours. Je vous illustre donc mon premier choc Posted by elodieadie in la petite trotte d'Elodie-la-bougeotte | Jan 21, 2015
- Hiking and Elephant Riding from Chai Lai OrchidEarly mornings here in the hills by the river are misty and cool so we wisely chose to hike into the village and ride/wash the elephants in the afternoon. Even this small village has an impressive temple and of course Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 21, 2015
- Hiking and Rafting near Mae WangWe slept from 7pm to 7am and woke refreshed to take the long hike into the hills with our local guide Sing, and Katie and Robert from Berlin.
Lots of ups and downs and interesting things to see: mimosa (touch-sensitive plant), Posted by alangcampbell in Thailand: A Cultural Exposure Tour | Jan 21, 2015