- Welcome to Bangkok!
Hello Friends, we made it...
24+ hours after we jumped on a plane in Edmonton we arrived at our hotel in BK. The Phranakorn Nornlen (PN), a charming little place t Posted by EastWest-Sweets in Team Sweets Asian Adventure!! | Nov 13, 2013
- A trip to PhimaiI was pleasantly surprised to find that we had no school again today. I'm not sure why, and frankly I don't care, Im happy to have another day off.
I've been itching to escape the busy city of Korat Posted by inbetweendreams in In Between Dreams | Nov 12, 2013
- Typhoon Haiyan - a change to the itinerary?With our previous track record (being on St Lucia when Hurricane Tomas hit in 2010), we're well aware of the devastation these huge weather fronts can cause.
It's really tragic that the Philippines have suffered the worst storm ever recorded - Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Nov 11, 2013
- Enter country number 1...12:00 Bangkok
Arrived in Bangkok to 30°C heat at 9.45 in the morning. This does not bode well. First impressions? Grey. Lots of grey concrete under a grey sky, at least until you see the sun shining and there's a hint Posted by GoonishPython in The Great South East Asia Adventure | Nov 11, 2013
- Our two day elephant trek through Chang Mai
Arguably what makes us human Is humanity itself- the ability to differentiate between right and wrong and use our conscience to guide us. Unfortunately it seems that lots of people have developed the ability to push guilt, awareness and responsib Posted by Kirstyonwroot in England to South East Asia | Nov 11, 2013
- Ao Nang minus HubbardSo what else can I tell you about Ao Nang? Russians and reggae.
Russians far outnumber any other nationality in terms of tourists, and the best bars are reggae bars (sorry Jon, but we found by far the best bar Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Nov 10, 2013
- A day in the lifeMy alarm goes off at 545, I turn over and its still dark out. This can't be right. There must be some kind of mistake, it can't possibly be time to get up already. Sadly, I come to terms with Posted by inbetweendreams in In Between Dreams | Nov 9, 2013
- 50* Not OutWell, I guess it's about time I wrote a blog. To be fair, a few of the words written have been mine, I've just not received any credit for them :-)
But seeing as it is a worthy milestone I thought Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Nov 9, 2013
- The start of Chang MaiYesterday we visited the floating markets. We had woken up at around 4 am and couldn't sleep, so we laid in bed watching catfish before getting up. It had been raining all nigh and did not show any sign of Posted by Kirstyonwroot in England to South East Asia | Nov 9, 2013
- When a Hubbard came to townWe were super excited to see Jon, who was over with a few friends from the UK for Nick's non-stag do and non-wedding (long story).
Having woken to a glorious day and chance to meet up with our close pal, we Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Nov 9, 2013
- Chiang Mai, ThailandAfter our night train to Uttaradit, it was surprisingly easy to get the bus towards Chiang Mai, where we changed to a local bus at Lampang to go to the Thai Elephant Conservation Center. We had hoped to be Posted by Roaming Rolts in Two Rolts, Two Continents, Two Rucksacks | Nov 8, 2013
- Smaller DetailsHaving written my first few weeks in a nutshell I just thought I'd share some of the smaller details about living and working here. Things that I am used to doing now but was weird when I first arrived.
Let's start Posted by bethcairns in Mai Pen Rai | Nov 8, 2013
- The first couple of daysWe arrived in Bangkok airport yesterday evening after two long flights. We went as directed to fill out forms for visas, one of which was missing and we were misled by some very grumpy Thai workers. Basically, all Thai people Posted by Kirstyonwroot in England to South East Asia | Nov 7, 2013
- Pattaya!==First experience on a motorbike and in a strip club==
Okay so I'll just clear up the strip club bit...we all know that Pattaya is famous for all the wrong reasons...every bar is pretty much a strip club or whatever, especially Posted by bethcairns in Mai Pen Rai | Nov 7, 2013
- And some days just go plain wrong...We booked a straightforward ferry/bus combo ticket to Ao Nang from Koh Tao... or so we thought. Today was a very valuable lesson!
After check in at the ferry terminal we were given 'joint ticket' stickers to wear and one paper Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Nov 7, 2013
- Koh samuiAfter 24 hours of traveling we made it to the beach, where Adam has found god like status.
The hotel we are in is about £6 a night, and forget the beach, the real exitement is the room decor. Posted by TravelinTales in TravelinTales | Nov 7, 2013
- Ayutthaya, ThailandOur bus journey to Ayutthaya included an unscheduled 45 minute stop as our minibus driver fixed his overheated broken down bus. At least this time we were at a service station and not on the side of a mountain after Posted by Roaming Rolts in Two Rolts, Two Continents, Two Rucksacks | Nov 6, 2013
- The School/The Hut==Our house, in the middle of the street! ==
Moving day! Friday the 25th....onto the second part of my journey.
Probably the most nervous I'd felt since leaving Glasgow....I had no idea what the location would be like, what the school would Posted by bethcairns in Mai Pen Rai | Nov 6, 2013
- Koh Tao... diving, drenchings and dossingAppreciate that Facebook friends will already know we certified as open water divers here on Koh Tao (blog is a little behind the times!), but it gives us a chance to fill in the details...
We were really pleased with our Posted by Galavantie in GlobalGalavantie | Nov 6, 2013
- Khoa San road, Royal Palace. Yeah basically we went to the koha San road and the Royal Palace these past few days!
We used various transports, metro, train, river boat and Tuk Tuk, but that's nothing compared to the extreme transport scenarios we've had this Posted by TravelinTales in TravelinTales | Nov 5, 2013
- Orientation/Bangkok==And so it begins...==
5 days of brand new things.
Departed Glasgow airport 18/10/13 @ 2pm and arrived at Bangkok airport 19/10/13 @ 1pm, yep I was pretty damn jetlagged and disorientated. Anyone making this journey should prepare for the longest d Posted by bethcairns in Mai Pen Rai | Nov 4, 2013
- Coming to Thailand==Beth in Thailand==
Why travel to a country that has hot weather and a country that boasts exotic spicy foods then? Must be madness I hear you say!
Well, leaving my family, friends, irn bru, bacon, good milk, rose wine (the list Posted by bethcairns in Mai Pen Rai | Nov 3, 2013
- Oct 9th-15th Nyaungshwe and Inle Lake - truly amazing!!WEDNESDAY 9th OCTOBER
I left hotel at 6.30am for the airport and checked in and went downstairs to the departure lounge which was chaos. International and domestic flight passengers were mixed up and there weren’t enough seats for everyone. My Y Posted by talismanic in Alistair in Thailand 2012 to 2014 | Nov 3, 2013
- Teacher Stephanie
Quote of the day: "When things go wrong, don't go with them"
Just finished my first week as Teacher Stephanie at what is described as a prestigious all boys Posted by inbetweendreams in In Between Dreams | Nov 3, 2013
- Kanchanaburi - Death railway, Kwai bridge, Wang Pho Viaduct We set off at 6.30 am, took the ferry up the river to Bangkok Noi to start our day trip on the train, this journey is done as an excursion, which I'm sure the Thais finds quite entertaining. As we Posted by Roaming Rolts in Two Rolts, Two Continents, Two Rucksacks | Nov 2, 2013