- Day 14, 15, 16, 17: Boredom takes holdThe past few days of swells and wind have prevented Jason from launching, and the boredom is beginning to take its toll on the science crew. Half of us have begun ‘hibernating’, sleeping as much as possible, while the other Posted by mrh616 in Living Revelle | May 3, 2015
- Day 13: Back to the labWe brought up the elevator at 8am, loaded with four more IGT samplers and several rocks and slurp samples for the biologists. We made impressive progress – compared to our first day in the lab with ABE working for nearly Posted by mrh616 in Living Revelle | Apr 30, 2015
- Day 12: OopsI slept in until 11. I have no regrets about it – it was a wonderful nap. I joined the others upstairs for a bite to eat, then headed down to the main lab where a massive ping-pong game was Posted by mrh616 in Living Revelle | Apr 28, 2015
- Day 11: Samples up!! I woke at 7am with a grumble, rolling to put my phone alarm on silent. Jess had the 12am-4am shift and was sleeping in the bunk below me, so I moved about the room as quietly as I could to Posted by mrh616 in Living Revelle | Apr 27, 2015
- Day 10: ABEWe waited out the next day as swells rolled, churning the boat this way and that. Tito called it too rough to launch and so we abided by his word, waiting anxiously for the conditions to change. The day was Posted by mrh616 in Living Revelle | Apr 26, 2015
- Day 9: Kilo MoanaAnd he’s… out.
I woke up this morning in a rush, knowing that they planned to bring up the elevator full of samples after breakfast. Jessica had a 12-4am shift in the control van, so I had to get ready Posted by mrh616 in Living Revelle | Apr 25, 2015
- Day 7: Transit Three?I'll put up a picture in my next entry, but someone on board ship has started a seasickness poll on the whiteboard in the main lab. Since so many of the science party have fallen ill, the rest of us Posted by mrh616 in Living Revelle | Apr 23, 2015
- Day 10
More pics of Heilala's grounds
There were a few of these in the trees - Posted by judesbucketlist in Tonga | Oct 31, 2014
- Day 8Turned out grey again today, and I wasn’t in the mood to swim, so caught a ride in Heilala’s van into Nuku’alofa.
A couple of house Posted by judesbucketlist in Tonga | Oct 26, 2014
- Day 7Finally, a glorious day! There were enough fluffy clouds to take the edge off the sun. Perfect snorkelling weather, which is what I did twice before lunch & once in the afternoon at dead low tide. The Posted by judesbucketlist in Tonga | Oct 26, 2014
- Day 5, part 2Oholei Beach Resort, the venue for Lonely Planet's most highly recommended cultural show in Tonga, is across the other side of the island from Heilala, a good hour's drive away. We were picked up at 6, a scant half Posted by judesbucketlist in Tonga | Oct 26, 2014
- Day 5, part 1I’ll do this day in two parts/days, otherwise it will be a very, very long post!
It started out overcast today then turned into full-on tropical rain alternating with rain and showers.
The island tour was pretty good despite the Posted by judesbucketlist in Tonga | Oct 24, 2014
- Day 4Today was another grey day for the most part, but as they’ve recently been in a drought I can hardly begrudge the Tongans a little relief from the scorching sun.
[center][/ Posted by judesbucketlist in Tonga | Oct 23, 2014
- Day 3A few new people arrived here at Heilala early this morning (a bunch more Kiwis & a Portuguese couple), and we were all taken into Nuku'alofa for the "city" orientation. Let's just say, it's not the most salubrious or Posted by judesbucketlist in Tonga | Oct 22, 2014
- Day 2(Major internet issues)
The day dawned bright and – damn, I can’t lie – grey & dull, as it happens. It was coolish but still humid last night & the temperature during the day today was definitely bearable. The Posted by judesbucketlist in Tonga | Oct 21, 2014
- Day 1After a great flight from Auckland that took only 2 1\2 hours, we touched down in the rain at Tonga’s tiny airport. Rick from Heilala Holiday Lodge was there to greet me & placed 2 beautiful, fragrant frangipani lei Posted by judesbucketlist in Tonga | Oct 20, 2014
- The Kingdom of Tonga
After four days and five nights we reach our first port. As the sun rose we saw the low lying island of Tongatapu which is the largest of the many islands in the Kingdom of Tonga and the home Posted by greynomadm in 2013 Polynesia Cruise | Sep 7, 2013
- Sea Day FourThe ocean is almost calm this morning and many of the open decks are now open again. The sunrise was more spectacular too and I spent a good while watching it develop from the unobstructed vantage point of Deck Posted by greynomadm in 2013 Polynesia Cruise | Sep 6, 2013
- Sea Day ThreeA rough night got worse with loud banging noises coming from the bow of the ship. About 0600 the noise stopped, no idea what it was or where it came from.
Made my way up to deck 14 for a Posted by greynomadm in 2013 Polynesia Cruise | Sep 5, 2013
- TongaDecadentie ten top. We hebben besloten om er even een weekje tussenuit te gaan gezien onze actieve reisschema's in Zuid-Amerika en Nieuw Zeeland.... ;-) Weer een unicum, want hoe vaak heb je nou vakantie in een vakantie? Echte mazzelaars zijn Posted by Erik-Margriet in Erik & Margriet in...... | Nov 21, 2012
- Visit to ‘EuaTonga is made up of several island groups. The Ha’apai and Vava’u groups are rather far north, and given that I only have about a week in Tonga, I figure I'll stick close to Tongatapu. There are various Posted by sbw2109 in Sea Turtle Secrets | Nov 16, 2011
- Around TongatapuOn Sunday in Tonga, everything shuts down and everyone goes to church. This leaves tourists and heathens somewhat high and dry with no shopping, tours, taxis, etc. But natural beauty is available seven days a week. I’ve Posted by sbw2109 in Sea Turtle Secrets | Nov 14, 2011
- Arriving in TongaThe air in Tonga is different. I feel it as I descend the stairs onto the tarmac. It is like a caress.
Immigration in Tonga is different. I sense it as I amble into the line, bleary-eyed at Posted by sbw2109 in Sea Turtle Secrets | Nov 7, 2011
- Foa on Horseback: An Experience I will Never Forget[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/414775/P1080442.jpg thumb=http:/ Posted by gwensam in Playing Hooky in Oz and Other Places... | Oct 30, 2011
- TongaaaaahhhhSo, after a reasonable travel day, we arrived in Tongatapu in the later evening and stayed at a guesthouse called Ali Baba's. Our friend Troy said this was close to the airport and cheap and since it was a quick Posted by gwensam in Playing Hooky in Oz and Other Places... | Oct 28, 2011