- IntroductionWe retired in June, and a piece of advice we had read was that for educators, the first start-of-school after retiring was often difficult, so the recommendation was to travel that first fall. Right after the Brexit vote, we Posted by camner in Ireland and London 2016 | Sep 7, 2016
- Day 9 - College Fiord
Last full day on the ship & what a day it was. After breakfast I did a Zumba class. It was only 30 mins as the room was booked for other activities. It was a great Posted by KarenWekwerth in Canada/Alaska | Sep 10, 2016
- Day 6, 7 & 8 - Niagara FallsInserting a couple of short flights in our itinerary spared us from several bad Amtrak connections with long layovers on minor routes when I was planning a Niagara Falls stopover. Those flights were a reminder [i]why we really like train Posted by buniconk in AMTRAK-ing (zig-zagging) AROUND AMERICA | Sep 8, 2016
- Day 8 - Glacier BayOmg, omg, omg - I got it last night....Lady Aurora danced for me. Naked eye green glow 😊. The cloud came & went obscuring my view at times but the show was worth seeing. Today we cruised around Glacier Bay. The Posted by KarenWekwerth in Canada/Alaska | Sep 9, 2016
- Yosemite National Park & Plymouth Wine country
My planner was too clever in organizing the trip to Yosemite; we entered from Lee Vining which was the north east entry to Yosemite. So we were able to drive all the way through the park. Posted by Taqui in Vancouver and America | Sep 9, 2016
- TMWH?Too Much Wyoming History? How could there be too much Wyoming history when there is so much available in less than 100 miles in any direction!
I awoke around 4 AM on the cliff overlooking Jenny La Posted by pscotterly in North by Northwest | Sep 9, 2016
- Exploring the Olympic Peninsula with Janis The next morning, we headed north from Mt. Rainier towards the Olympic Peninsula to meet Janis. Around noon we finally managed to get a signal on the mobile phone again and got Janis’ update that she had landed well and Posted by dreiumdiewelt in Our travel stories from around the world | Sep 9, 2016
- Echo LakeThe invite said dinner at 5:00 with appetizers and cocktails on Sunday, Labor Day weekend! Works for us!
Teresa and Sprinkles (real name: John) have a beautiful home which looks out on Echo Lake in Warrensburgh, NY. We love Posted by Linda Fluckiger in Living a Dream | Sep 4, 2016
- Day 7 - Skagway
Woke up in the port of Skagway today. A beautiful little Alaskan town...the smallest port we are visiting. We started with a tour of Liarsville & the Klondike summit. We arrived in Liarsville to a hot Posted by KarenWekwerth in Canada/Alaska | Sep 7, 2016
- Day 5 - Kansas City, MOI can't remember why I had us scheduled to get off the train in Kansas City instead of going on to Chicago, but I suspect it had to do with ease of making connections to airports. Initially I had planned Posted by buniconk in AMTRAK-ing (zig-zagging) AROUND AMERICA | Sep 5, 2016
- Two Fair Ladies
It's a beautiful Monday on Labor Day weekend and Jane (BFF) and I are off to the fair...not the Scarborough Fair Posted by Linda Fluckiger in Living a Dream | Sep 7, 2016
- Day 6 - Juneau
Another wet day. ....Mt Roberts today. It was clouded in when we got here so decided to do a bit of shopping & get our freebies hoping it would clear. It didn't but we were running Posted by KarenWekwerth in Canada/Alaska | Sep 7, 2016
- Day 4 - At seaToday we had our first day at sea. Lots of activities on board. We started with breakfast in the buffet. You wouldn't believe it but a girl joined us & where was she from. ....Grovedale! We had a talk about Posted by KarenWekwerth in Canada/Alaska | Sep 6, 2016
- Day 4 - "The Southwest Chief" Today was totally on the rails.
The "Southwest Chief" is a route we haven't done before, so it was especially interesting. The southwest terrain is so diverse! We traveled through all of Arizona at night so unfortunately we saw none Posted by buniconk in AMTRAK-ing (zig-zagging) AROUND AMERICA | Sep 4, 2016
- Day 3 - Let's Go SHOPPING! (for an Electric Scooter...)Today's shopping trip was anything but ordinary!
Our goal = Purchase a "travel scooter" as quickly as we can - 'cuz we've got to be back on the train at 6pm!
[b]We've only used UBER a couple times, in Indianapolis Posted by buniconk in AMTRAK-ing (zig-zagging) AROUND AMERICA | Sep 3, 2016
- Packed and ready to goWe are so thankful to be going again to Germany and Austria. We went in 2013 and find ourselves watching film and pictures of our trip. We decided to go again in January and after 9 months of planning Posted by Horstmeyer in Austria, Germany 2016 | Sep 6, 2016
- Day 5 - Ketchikan Ketchikan here we come. Today is a short day as we are only in port until 2pm. We did some shopping in the morning & picked up our freebies. We did the Eagles, totems & lighthouse excursion. We saw lots Posted by KarenWekwerth in Canada/Alaska | Sep 6, 2016
- Day 3 - Starting the cruise
Well, if it doesn't rain it pours....literally. We walked down to see our shop come in & it was bucketing down. The ship was so agile in the Posted by KarenWekwerth in Canada/Alaska | Sep 4, 2016
- Greenville, Georgia for a Anniversary Celebration
Curt’s parents were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this year and wanted the whole family to celebrate with them at his Aunt Linda and Uncle Rod’s house. This is Posted by ErinDriver in Drivers Touring Europe....and Beyond | Aug 20, 2016
- Grand Teton National ParkWhen Dominique and I started this trip the first week of May, she had hoped we could visit Grand Teton Park. The snow was still deep and the south gate in Yellowstone that led to Grand Teton was not open Posted by pscotterly in North by Northwest | Sep 5, 2016
- Day 2 - & the 2nd day on the "Coast Starlight"After a delightfully peaceful night's sleep (I love being rocked to sleep!), we enjoyed a full day of sightseeing on the California coast. We missed the beautiful Mt. Shasta parts because the southbound train passes through there at night (but Posted by buniconk in AMTRAK-ing (zig-zagging) AROUND AMERICA | Sep 2, 2016
- Day 1 - "The Empire Builder" & "The Coast Starlight"The Empire Builder was right on time. It's an interesting train:
* The Westbound Empire Builder originates in Chicago and splits in Spokane = half of it (including the dining car) go to Seattle, and the other half of the Posted by buniconk in AMTRAK-ing (zig-zagging) AROUND AMERICA | Sep 1, 2016
- Lake Tahoe & Lee Vining
We left Virginia City behind after a morning walk around and a good coffee too. We drove down the pass and then through Carson City and faced yet another pass ahead of us. We got to an Posted by Taqui in Vancouver and America | Sep 5, 2016
- Cultural and natural highlights around SeattleThe drive towards the Seattle / Takoma KOA where we had made reservations for the weekend was lengthy and we were happy to eventually arrive. We were not too impressed by the camping spot we got right next to a Posted by dreiumdiewelt in Our travel stories from around the world | Sep 5, 2016
- TRAVEL INFO!Hello virtual travel companions! I'm never sure if this is something fun for me, or for you, or just a total example of narcism. But it's happening again. I mean, it's me, Mo, and M Posted by KTompkins in Scotland 2.0 | Sep 4, 2016