- Good morning Vietnam! Hanoi.The 26 hour journey from Vientiane to Hanoi was surprisingly fine! We were on a very local bus, with only myself, Sean and a Canadian couple; the rest Vietnamese. But everyone was very friendly and considerate, especially during one of Posted by Libbytes in PhD Celebration Travel | May 11, 2014
- Good Morning VietnamDespite the rather nightmare journey over the border (see previous blog) it ended well enough by arriving in Da Nang much earlier than expected; we had been told the journey would take 24 hours (ick), but after *only* 18 we Posted by TessAndRach in Asian Adventure | May 29, 2014
- This little piece of heavenI walk towards this beach that looks packed, my expectations are not high. Another soulless beach full of people making noise and spoiling the nature. (You know, like most packed holiday beaches).
How wrong could I be! Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | May 28, 2014
- This May Be The Beer Talking But...Having been dropped off in Hoi An old town by the hotel shuttle bus I wasn't sure what to make of the place. It would be three hours until the bus comes to pick me up and the town looks Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | May 27, 2014
- Trip, InterruptedAs some of our more astute readers may have realized by now, I was having some long-lasting ill effects of my tumble aboard the Blizzard in the Whitsundays. By the time we reached Hanoi, I had come to the conclusion Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | May 26, 2014
- A Castaway's ParadiseAfter another short sleep that felt more like a nap, we found ourselves back at the Good Bar restaurant for some mango pancakes, pho, and to check in for our day trip.
We took a short bus over to a boat Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | May 26, 2014
- A bit about VietnamWe have been in Vietnam for 10 days now and it seems to have flown by. I think this is because we spent most of it being spoilt rotten at my friends house and the rest of it on Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | May 24, 2014
- Cannons on Mountains and Hospitals in CavesOn Tuesday morning we woke up to a little taste of what can only be called "rainy season". There had been an "electrical storm" (this is Camp BB speak for a thunderstorm) all night, but we hoped it would be Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | May 24, 2014
- Rock the Cat BaAs 5:00 am (our new favourite time) rolled in, with it came the appearance of Miss Talia Bronstein, fresh off her trek to Sapa. Talia is one of my oldest and closest friends though I'm not so sure that 20 Posted by Flanilandlizard in Ready.Set.Travel. | May 24, 2014
- RetractionOn the 23rd May 2014 the A Long Way For Dumplings blog inadvertently referred to a short, fiery traveller named Rose as antagonistic. Having since met up with the aforementioned Rose for dinner the editor of this blog would like Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | May 24, 2014
- The Quickest Way to Become a MillionaireThis is it, the dream’s finally come true, we’re now officially millionaires! Unfortunately we’re only millionaires in Vietnam where 1,000,000VND is a little under £30 but when you can buy beer for 20pence and a meal, including drinks, for four Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | May 23, 2014
- The Best Moment of the Trip So Far==[center]Arsenal 3 – 2 Hull (aet)
Ok, so there were a few teething problems to start with (and I’m not even talking about the fact Arsenal were tw Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | May 17, 2014
- Vietnam - Nah Trang, Dalat, Ho Chi Minh Etter fem dagar i Hoi An tok me turen vidare til Nah Trang. Her hadde me berre ein dag, og sidan Nah Trang er kjent for å ha ei fin Strand og bra festliv var det detta det gikk i. Posted by Hilkris in Australia/Asia 2014 | May 19, 2014
- Vietnam - Hoi AnEtter at me kom att frå Halong Bay, hadde me ei til natt i Hanoi før me skulle ta nattbussen til Hoi An. Det var da me var så heldige å møta på Cam og Cal (to guta frå Canada) Posted by Hilkris in Australia/Asia 2014 | May 19, 2014
- Trains, minibuses and bicycles ...We love Ho Chi Minh City. We love the chaos, the vibrant atmosphere, the friendly local people, the constant change (for good or otherwise), and for the fact that hu tieu chay noodles only cost 80p. That’s a Posted by TheBackyard in A Comrade's Guide to Vietnam | May 18, 2014
- Cat Ba From Hue, we got another overnight train up the coast to Hanoi. Sadly this time it was not quite such a smooth night, the train being 3 hours delayed and the beds rocking like on a boat to Posted by RachelandGeoff in Exploring on a trip of a life time | May 17, 2014
- The Beach and Mountains - Hoi an to HueAfter a slightly broken night of sleep, our train arrived bright and early into Da Nang, a little town just north of Hoi An and we were pìcked up by a very smiley driver who drove us surprisingly carefully to Posted by RachelandGeoff in Exploring on a trip of a life time | May 17, 2014
- Overland to Vietnam, trials of night bus border crossingsFrom Vientiane, we were picked up by a share tuk-tuk to take us to the bus station for our bus into Vietnam, this went smoothly enough. From the moment we arrived at the bus station however we felt we had Posted by TessAndRach in Asian Adventure | May 17, 2014
- China BudgetSurprisingly we were bang on budget for China! Even after the cocktail bars and shopping in Shanghai!
I'm hoping we will be well below budget here in Vietnam. Unless I decide to live like a princess! :-)
To Posted by JonAndSara in A Long Way For Dumplings | May 14, 2014
- Good Morning Vietnam!hi pals,
Ok so from Phnom Penh to Ho CHi Minh. 27 minute flight. I KID you not.
Ho Chi Minh was hectic. It was the celebration week of them winning the war so it was all very busy and full. Posted by howards1985 in Sweatnerds | May 11, 2014
- Days 66-67: Ha Long Bay, VietnamOn a little cruise with a few other peeps. You know, there're these giant karst everywhere, stone outcroppings jutting out of the sea covered in foliage. There're two thousand something out here. We checked out some caves, Posted by ErnieLG in Destination Unknown | May 11, 2014
- Day 65: Hanoi, VietnamWell, after some shenanigans, here I am, just for the day. But... I like it so far! I didn't expect it. Just checked out a few temples and old buildings and galleries and monuments and a Posted by ErnieLG in Destination Unknown | May 11, 2014
- Days 61-64: Hue, VietnamComplicated getting here, since I had to drop Paige off at the airport. Paid maybe five times what I should've in the taxi. Almost got ripped off on the bus ticket. The bus stopped every few minutes Posted by ErnieLG in Destination Unknown | May 11, 2014
- Ho Chi MinhHo Chi Minh is a fantastic city. We fell in love with it instantly!
From the madness of the millions of scooters and mental traffic, to the street food stalls, markets, people playing drafts in the park Posted by RachelandGeoff in Exploring on a trip of a life time | May 6, 2014
- Relaxing in Hoi AnWe came to Vietnam with the intention of moving here and finding jobs teaching English. Then we discovered workaway (volunteering a few hours a day for free room and board) and decided that could help finance our travels so we Posted by inbetweendreams in In Between Dreams | May 6, 2014